Ug, why does everyone ask "why so dressed up"

Mar 7, 2008
Ok so I live in a very beach tourist area. I can be wearing a summer skirt with a tank and heeled sandals or jeans with a nice top and sandals. And Iget asked why are you so dressed up? or WOWwhere are yougoing all dressed up? what the heck! just because, im not wearing a bikini around town or flip flops with shorts and a tank I get asked this all the time. I would hate to see what they would say when I do get dressed up!!!
ANyone else have this problem?
Am I being to dressey for where I live??? I hope not I dontlike living life in flip flops like others do. what do you think.
For example I was wearing a DNKY tee shirt (nothing fancy just a tee, with a knee length denim skirt and wedge sandles). and I heard, wow your dressed up, how come your all dressed up?, and your over dressed for shopping aren't you, all day long!!!! what the heck!!!

Haha that's so weird! Definitely way different from here. The city is right next to the beach/lake and there is some very fancy stuff downtown here so there's a mix of outfits. They're probably just jealous you look better than them :P

Great thread!!!! I am with you shoppinghabbit:ghi5:
Hmmmm.... interesting ,I live in the windy city and have this problem and I am working downtown area . Even walking an Michigan Ave. some people ask me nice about some parts of my outfit , but than is always quastion why you are so dressed up , are you going somewhere?? I see around lots of people wearing Chanel , Gucci , carry LV and I dont care. Last year in LA Universal Studio walking around with my popstar friend ( not able to recognize) and my H , feel to dressy ( wearing F21 mini dress , Waitzman heels , Coco cabas tote , Chanel sunglasses) . So my boys have a lots of fun because most of the people stop and look it me like who is she , do we know her ?? And common that outfit was just ok . Any party , celebration same problem to dreesy I hear ( sometimes make me feel guilty ) !!! I dont know what is the problem ....I wear same clothing in Europe and never have this kind of quastion , if so just nice complements....so let us dress the way we like it , dont call us to dressed up ....this is nothing about money , designers its all about the style we love !!!

One more exemple ...2 weeks ago big downtown party wearing brown satin boutique dress ( an sale 40$), CK pumps( sale 30$), brown big faux pearls (20$) and just one expensive piece LV Damier papillon ( every third person carry LV there)...heard that ...wow you spent a thousands for this outfit hmmm....like always you are to dressed up!!! :pout:

Last edited:
I get the same thing all the time! I just like to look presentable! I think when you live in places like Florida or California (that's where I live) people expect you to dress very casual all the time.

I can be wearing a summer skirt with a tank and heeled sandals or jeans with a nice top and sandals. And Iget asked why are you so dressed up?

For example I was wearing a DNKY tee shirt (nothing fancy just a tee, with a knee length denim skirt and wedge sandles). and I heard, wow your dressed up, how come your all dressed up?

I don't consider either of those 'dressed up'. But what business is it of their's anyways?

Be yourself.

This world is full of slobs. I know. I'm one. But that's a different story.

I've had a similar experience going out with friends. I have a group of girls I like to go out to dinner with two times a month and we like to get a little dressed up. We're all in college, so usually that just means summery sundresses and heels. We get so many stares and people asking why we're dresses up its insane.

I also get the why are you wearing a dress? Why are you so dressed up from people. The funny thing is their idea of dressed up is a pair of jeans, heels and a nice top. Wearing a dress or a skirt means going to a wedding. However the town where I live, quite a number of people wear their pajamas out all day to go the restaurant, cafe or out shopping (these are professionals). I think it's yucky because I'm sure those are the same pjs they wear to bed too. Btw, I'm not one of those people...lol...

I totally can relate. Whenever I go to see a movie, eat out (non-fancy place), grocery shopping, or attend family gatherings (hubby's side), people think I'm too dressed up. It's so weird. I don't think I'm even "dressed" up. I'm very casual and usually called "under dressed" when I attend (my side) family gatherings but people seem to wonder why I'm too overly dressed. It's just really odd especially since I know if I wore the same clothes back home in Manila, they would think it's normal casual clothing.

It bothered me at first but then I got used to ignoring people who comment on the way I dress since I like looking nice for myself (and the hubby) and not for anyone else really.

I also get the why are you wearing a dress? Why are you so dressed up from people. The funny thing is their idea of dressed up is a pair of jeans, heels and a nice top. Wearing a dress or a skirt means going to a wedding. However the town where I live, quite a number of people wear their pajamas out all day to go the restaurant, cafe or out shopping (these are professionals). I think it's yucky because I'm sure those are the same pjs they wear to bed too. Btw, I'm not one of those people...lol...

Tell me about it. Most people here in Michigan are totally like that. I call it the COPS fashion... like how people on that tv show are always caught wearing pjs out driving or something.

I get that as well. I don't dress casually very well, I just cant pull it off. Like you, its not like I am totally dressed up either, but I don't wear flat shoes (usually wedges or some sort of cute heeled sandal) so automatically people think you are dressed up. I am more comfortable in skirts also, which I think also makes it look more dressed up.
Here in Orlando with all the sloppy tourists I guess I do stick out a bit. I visit Miami all the time though and down there I feel like a slob because everyone seems to be decked out in designer duds all the time...

people have always said that to me in school. in middle school and high school, wearing any type of skirt was "dressed up." and if you wore a cotton dress, it was like wedding attire to them. so now in college, i can wear boots and jeans and i'll look way overdressed compared to my peers in dirty sweat pants.

it doesn't bother me, it just boggles my mind why people think it's weird to go out in a dress but they can go out in cartoon character pajama pants.

I don't consider either of those 'dressed up'. But what business is it of their's anyways?

Be yourself.

This world is full of slobs. I know. I'm one. But that's a different story.

I know these are my running around town with my 3 yr old outfits! LOL
And I think um! dressed up! Im wearing a tee shirt! haha

people have always said that to me in school. in middle school and high school, wearing any type of skirt was "dressed up." and if you wore a cotton dress, it was like wedding attire to them. so now in college, i can wear boots and jeans and i'll look way overdressed compared to my peers in dirty sweat pants.

it doesn't bother me, it just boggles my mind why people think it's weird to go out in a dress but they can go out in cartoon character pajama pants.

OMG! LOL yes, the times I wear a dress people act like I'm ready for a wedding or a ball and it can be a summer dress with flat sandals!

I think what do people here expect everyone to go out in beach attire for everyday life! It just is a shock.
I am from NV and never got that. In high school I did have people tell me how nice I dressed, because i wasn't always in jeans and tee shirts but never did they think I was all dressed up when I wore a skirt or dress or even jeans and a nice top

LOL I know lots of PJ wearing people here too! I feel like a snob at times because I won't even wear my PJ's to check my mail! LOL

for example what I am wearing today, I know I will be hearing it!
No Name Jeans
Top I got at ross not a name either and my bcbg shoes!
I DO NOT FEEL THIS IS DRESSED UP AT ALL! (BUT IT'S NOT A PAIR OF JEANS WITH A BEATUP TEE AND TENNI'S EITHER) (I ONLY WEAR MY TENNI'S TO WORK OUT!)
I FEEL THIS IS SOMETHING I CAN RUN AROUND TOWN DURING THE DAY and then it can even go to dinner later. don't you think?
803.jpg

Last edited: