U.S. ebay sellers refusing to sell to Canadian buyers

were you selling off of eBay Canada or eBay? I have never tried to restrict my listings but it would likely make a difference which site you are posting your listing to...
I've never tried to restrict my listings either, so I didn't realize this. That is so odd! Did you try emailing eBay for an explanation or help?

What I get mad about is that some of them don't realize that it WILL take a long time and then they get all pissy that it took nearly a month to get the item - well, when it takes you a week to pay, and I state I only ship on Tuesdays (and you pay on Wed.) and then even PRIORITY can take 10 business days to Canada, what do you expect? How is that MY Fault? And that's WITH telling them that it will tak awhile (esp. if they don't pay right away).

Please tell! How did you do it?

In the shipping section, the first option is pricing for domestic shipping. I simply fill that out and leave the international shipping section blank.

You must be on ebay.ca for this to work and from what you described on the previous page it sounds to me like you were on ebay.com.

alphabetically? maybe there's somewhere different on the website where they have them listed like that..

That's it exactly. It's some weird alphabetical list that's difficult to navigate through. It's not like I'd pick those countries if I were making it up (actually, hate to admit it, but I didn't even know there was a country called Cape Verde.) :P

Here's how I got there. Like I said, I was trying to be accommodating and check all the shipping options. Thought USPS Priority mail might be the most reasonable, so clicked the link to the rate table from the international priority mail page. That took me here: http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/welcome.htm, which in fact does not seem to have a rate table. The last section is "Index of Countries and Localities", so on that alpha list, Canada is between Belize and Cape Verde. Click there, you're on the Belize page. You can either page through country by country, or index takes you to what appears to be an index for the whole USPS site. I finally clicked "contents" and got a list so I could click Canada.

I agree the calculator is much easier -- if the person actually provides their postal code, and doesn't just say "Canada."

I'm definitely going to need some help. Wouldn't you know it, after all the questions and saying no international shipping, my winning bidder is from Canada! Hopefully she has a confirmed Paypal address. If she does, I'll give it a go.

^^ I have never seen anything more confusing than that link you provided. I wouldn't sell internationally either, if I had to navigate that!

Can't you just take your parcel to the Post Office and ask them about shipping options? Admittedly, USPS has so many options, it's hard to make a decision, although I have always found that the more expensive ways are not faster (especially Priority) even if they say they are.

Once you mail one package, you know what do to for next time. Unless you use FedEx. By the way, I think you should use FedEx Ground to Canada!

I know - that link is crazy. After a half hour of looking that culminated in that, that was when I just gave up and said no international shipping.

I may end up taking my parcel to the post office and just asking them, though unfortunately the two post offices near me are horrendous -- when I go, I have to keep repeating that they're underpaid government employees, so I should not be annoyed with them.

However, now my Canadian buyer (who it looks like may have registered on the US site as in CA, United States, so that explains how she got around the block on bidders from places where I won't ship), now wants me to declare the bag (which is over $1000) as a gift or "like $68". I've said no, and offered to let her back out of the transaction. I had emailed to ask for her postal code so I could use the shipping calc, and she didn't send it to me, just raised the customs question.

I have to say, this is really not the way I wanted this to go. I was hoping that it would be a nice smooth experience and get my past my concerns...

What a mess.

It's not a big deal to mark the item as a gift... she will still have to buy customs on a gift, so you're not cheating the Canadian government out of a lot of money. I would mark as a gift, but I would not lower the value, if only for your own protection with insurance. And use FedEx Ground, it's easier!

I have a feeling this particular transaction of yours is not going to go through. She sounds too shady.

I always go to the Post Office when shipping internationally. That way I can ensure the customs and shipping forms are filled out correctly.

Also, I believe most, if not all, Post Offices in the US have video cameras in their customer area, so if there's a dispute as to whether or not I mailed a package, videotape could be used in an investigation. I heard of this happening before, and the video of the seller at the counter with the box, dated and time stamped on the video, helped the seller win the dispute.

I ship worldwide, but mostly to Canada and the UK. In my experience it takes longer for an item to reach their destination in Canada than anywhere else. I do not know why. They usually ask me to check on the progress and then it arrives the next day. Maybe this is the problem.