U.S. ebay sellers refusing to sell to Canadian buyers

What I don't understand is why some Canadians balk at like a $80 customs fee when they buy something that was $900 from me. Its ridiculous when the item in question is small or very cheap to have to pay a fee, but if you are buying a $900 item, whats another $80 to you?

I don't think its necessarily the $80 as it is so much the shock of having to fork over more money. Of course on top of what you already just spent. Unless this happened to you, it may be hard to grasp. If the buyer knows they are going to be charged duty I don't think they would balk, as you put it.

You really should re-word some of your posts. You come across as incredibly offensive. Perhaps instead of saying what you said above you could have said>>>> "What I don't understand is why some buyers balk at like a $80 customs fee when they buy something that was $900 from me. I am sure others would appreciate your discretion.

Are you sure she was telling you the truth?

Well, she's being very cooperative through the whole claim process with USPS and hasn't asked for her money back or filed a PayPal claim. I just got an email from her yesterday that she received the paperwork sent by Canada Post to verify the item was missing so that Canada Post can verify it with USPS. And she's willing to wait for USPS to send her the insurance check, so I think she's telling me the truth.

this could easily happen in the domestic post too though. not with customs, but a postal worker could do the same. i've had things disappear in the domestic post loads of times, i highly doubt nothing ever goes missing within the US.

I'm sure it could happen just as easily with domestic items, and I didn't say that nothing ever goes missing in the U.S. However, I've had 3 international ones go missing and zero domestic ones. The further a package is traveling, especially if it's traveling overseas, the higher the chance that it could go missing. I don't just ship internationally to Canada. I'm sure a postal worker could do the same, but postal workers are not required to open and inspect packages like customs is. I'm sorry you had domestic packages disappear, but I have personally never had a problem.

I don't ship internationally anymore because I had too many problems when I used to. People didn't understand longer shipping times, higher shipping, customs, etc. It just wasn't worth the hassle. Sometimes I'll make an exception if the buyer has good communication with me.

ditto. especially about the time it takes to get there sometimes. there is no rhyme or reason to it - I've shippped things to Canada and its taken almost a month for the recipient to get the package, whereas I've shipped things to Australia and its gotten there in 3 days!!!

ditto. especially about the time it takes to get there sometimes. there is no rhyme or reason to it - I've shippped things to Canada and its taken almost a month for the recipient to get the package, whereas I've shipped things to Australia and its gotten there in 3 days!!!

I've had good luck shipping to Australia too. USPS actually told me that the priority mail international travels with the express mail to Australia, so can pay less for shipping and your package gets there just as fast. I'd still insure them though! ;)

I want a certain someone's selling ID. so I can avoid their auctions

For the first time in a long time, today I had an international buyer write to me and complain that 1) the shipping cost half of what I charged her and 2) she had to pay $187.50 in customs fees. First off, I would like to just state for the record that the POSTAGE stated on international forms is only for the POSTAGE--not for the insurance fees, which are actually recorded in a different place (on the customs declaration). So, she was wrong about point number 1. Sending stuff out of the country is just really expensive nowadays. Secondly, how in the world is it my fault that her country charges customs?! And lastly, as I said to her, the shipping is a stated flat fee in the auction, part of the item's price, and therefore I don't give partial refunds. Period. Feh!

Normally, my international buyers are lovely and I try not to make them jump through unnecessary hoops overall (though I will not lie on customs forms and/or mark stuff as a gift). This one just got under my skin slightly because I really have no control over the issues she had, and she had a very accusatory tone when she mentioned the customs.
Just wanted to vent.. um. Back to topic: I happily sell to Canadian and other buyers and almost never regret it. :P I also require full insurance on all shipments, by the way: US or international. It's just asking for trouble NOT to do that, in my opinion.

I have worried about that also when I have paid extra that is not shown on the package for insurance or other things. I haven't had a complaint yet but they can always select a low star on that new 5 star rating system for shipping costs and I not know since it is aggreggated.

First off, I would like to just state for the record that the POSTAGE stated on international forms is only for the POSTAGE--not for the insurance fees, which are actually recorded in a different place (on the customs declaration).

I still ship Internationally on Ebay, despite the hassles. But I have to admit I worry a lot more about international sales. It's kind of nerve-wracking sending an expensive item such a long way. But so far, so good. I've shipped to just about everywhere (UK, Italy, Ireland, Australia, Japan, China, Canada, Hong Kong etc...) without a problem (yet).

I have worried about that also when I have paid extra that is not shown on the package for insurance or other things. I haven't had a complaint yet but they can always select a low star on that new 5 star rating system for shipping costs and I not know since it is aggreggated.

i've only complained about shipping once, and that was when i was charged $35 for a package with five pots of MAC pigment, weighing a total of maybe 100 grams :wtf: :cursing:. it wasn't insured and the actual shipping was something like $8 :rolleyes:

The only reason I don't like shipping to Canada is because I am constantly underpricing the cost and end up paying about $10 out of pocket for shipping and conversion fees. My own fault and I need to charge more for shipping, but I don't like overcharging for shipping so I usually underestimate the weight.

i've only complained about shipping once, and that was when i was charged $35 for a package with five pots of MAC pigment, weighing a total of maybe 100 grams :wtf: :cursing:. it wasn't insured and the actual shipping was something like $8 :rolleyes:

OK but that really is ridiculous! That seller may very well be intentionally making their entire profit off shipping--which is Fee Avoidance and reportable to eBay.

This is a touchy subject with me, but I'll add my two cents. I have never asked anyone to under value or mark as gift. The only thing I ask is that they include a copy of the auction in with the package so if Canadian Customs opens it they can see right off what I paid for the item. I have never had anything re-valued because of this. I don't mind paying shipping and customs as most of the time I can not get the item in Canada.

I can understand the frustration of not being able to bid on items - I'm in Australia so have the same problem.

However, having said this, I know that being in Australia I can't have my Paypal address verified, which puts off a lot of international sellers. Fashionphile, for example, won't let international bidders pay by paypal the first time they buy.