Tyrant (fx)

I missed the pilot, but just watched the 2nd episode. I had higher hopes for this show, but unfortunately was disappointed. Here are just a few of my thoughts... The lead IMO is not a very good actor. His expressions & delivery lack emotions. I don't understand why they have a white actor to play the role. As if there is an abundance of lead roles for Arab actors in Hollywood! The actress who plays his wife isn't very good either. You would think her character would appear less calm given the circumstances! The dialogue is also really basic.
The sexual violence & exploitation of women is over the top. It paints the Middle East in such a poor light. It keeps forcing the idea that America is so civilized while the Middle East is barbaric. Look at the characters they're presenting: the brother who lives in America is "good" & the brother who lives in the Middle East is "bad." Perhaps I was expecting a political drama or something, but the show overall feels very soap opera-ish. I am interested to see where it goes but I'm hoping it improves... so for now, it's still on my dvr. (But my dh said he's completely out!)

I missed the pilot, but just watched the 2nd episode. I had higher hopes for this show, but unfortunately was disappointed. Here are just a few of my thoughts... The lead IMO is not a very good actor. His expressions & delivery lack emotions. I don't understand why they have a white actor to play the role. As if there is an abundance of lead roles for Arab actors in Hollywood! The actress who plays his wife isn't very good either. You would think her character would appear less calm given the circumstances! The dialogue is also really basic.
The sexual violence & exploitation of women is over the top. It paints the Middle East in such a poor light. It keeps forcing the idea that America is so civilized while the Middle East is barbaric. Look at the characters they're presenting: the brother who lives in America is "good" & the brother who lives in the Middle East is "bad." Perhaps I was expecting a political drama or something, but the show overall feels very soap opera-ish. I am interested to see where it goes but I'm hoping it improves... so for now, it's still on my dvr. (But my dh said he's completely out!)

Sorry, but why not watch the pilot first? Not that your criticisms aren't valid but some of the things may have been answered in the first episode.

i've watched both episodes and i agree with what you've said.
the acting is mediocre at best, and also seem to be sending the message that the 'american' way ie Barry's way to deal with problems works better than the middle eastern way.
but they've opened some interesting leads for story lines: the son's friendship with son of some local official or was it the butler? i have a feeling this may turn into a romantic relationship which could be taboo in this fictional country and cause some trouble; the fact that Barry had a thing with his sister in law before he ran away to the States; the seemingly close relationship between Barry and his older brother, i get a feeling that it may turn sour and turn into a battle for power later down the track.
anyhow i'll keep watching to see what happens.
DH seem to think the series draw on the Syrian family for inspiration: noting the similarity between the two: the foreign wife, second son being educated overseas etc

I am really liking this show. After last nights episode I believe we are seeing the real Basam(?) start to shine through. I think he had "shut down" because of his experiences as a child. He is going to grow as a character. I am excited to see how the season goes.... Lots of story lines!

I watched the first 2 episodes and I did like them enough to continue. I also question the choice of the male lead. A white guy with blue eyes?? There are a lot of problems with the show so we will see if it holds my attention.

Had no idea the lead was white.

Not trying to discredit anyone's opinion, however, his ethnicity/race has not been a factor to me (as I clearly didn't notice). And his eye color? A non-issue IMO as his mother (in the show) is white. Thus, it isn't too far fetched to imagine that he could have light colored eyes. I've met black African children (as in, beautiful chocolate skin) with grey eyes. Genetics can be funny that way.

I find the brother's wife to be a ... well, I don't want to say a bad actress, so I'll just say that I wish I saw more range in her facial expressions and mannerisms. Maybe that is to come.

The uniform the brother wore to meet with the Sheik and his contingent, was very ill-fitting. Actually, I find the sets to be less-opulent than I would expect for oil royalty. The brother's bedroom is too small. Same with their bathroom, which is the same one Basam and his wife used in a scene. That's the sort of stuff that bothers me with this show. :smile:

I like the daddy-issues, the cultural-rejection issues, the sexuality issues the son faces within this new culture he finds himself in, the power/money dynamics... I think it is interesting to see the similarities in Basam and his daughter. And it will be interesting to see Basam's brother's insecurities and distrust come to the forefront as he realizes his brother would be a better leader than him.

Apologies for the long comment.

so now is Basam going to turn into the "Tyrant"? Murdering someone for the greater good and now planning to overturn his brother? and his wife has no clue about anything that's going on

so now is Basam going to turn into the "Tyrant"? Murdering someone for the greater good and now planning to overturn his brother? and his wife has no clue about anything that's going on

Seems as if that's what they want us to think,right? I hope there'll be an interesting twist.

I watched 5 episodes yesterday so now I am all caught up. Wow this is a great show. I can't believe how quickly Basam is changing (changing back) into someone else. This show is getting darker and darker.

Holy cow!! I'm SO conflicted!! There is part of me that believes Basam HAS to start a coup.... That he HAD to kill the Sheik... He's going to use his Father's "man" to get rid of his Uncle Tariq and use his brother's enemies to start a rise against the government. Then Basam will step in.. And he will do good and right the country. OR he is becoming THE Tyrant... I hope not...