Two very similar Marc Jacobs bags...

My first ever MJ was the Sofia, and I loved it, but found it too small. I got it over the Stella because I liked that it had the separate compartments. But if I put all my everyday items in it, it seemed to make it bulge.

I ended up selling it used on ebay and I got an MJ New Tote (similar to the Stella but without the front zipper, with the newer version pushlocks on the pockets, and adjustable buckle straps on the sides). I can't really carry it on my shoulder, I'm a bit thicker than the gals pictured, but I love it.

I think the re-issue original buckle ones look lovely, especially in white. So go for whichever best suits your style I guess.

I have 3 MJ bags - Stella, Venetia, and a large hobo (not sure if there ever was a name for it specifically). I find that I tend to use the Stella the most because it's the most functional of the three. So, with relation to the pictures, I would say Stella over the Sofia any day.

Are they buckles on the outside pockets functional? Do you have to unbuckle them to get into the pockets? (Imagining I would use those pockets for cell phone and blackberry.)

I have the Sophia pictured (white with the brass buckles) and though it's nice, I sure wish I went with the Stella. I preferred the look of the Stella from the beginning, but thought it would be too big. Huge mistake--the Stella is gorgeous and a timeless classic. Both bags (the limited edition reproductions of the original with the buckles instead of pushlocks) are still available in both black and white online at Bergdorfs and Neimans. By the way, the shade of white on the reproduction bag is perfect--not a stark white but not ivory either. I find I can wear the bag with both white and cream and it looks beautiful.

pseub said:
Are they buckles on the outside pockets functional? Do you have to unbuckle them to get into the pockets? (Imagining I would use those pockets for cell phone and blackberry.)

The pockets are functional, and a good size, but you do have to unbuckle them to get into them (this is the one place where the pushlocks on the MJ bags is easier, I think). I usually keep my keys in one of the pockets, which I solve by just leaving them unbuckled. I keep my cell phone in the outer zip pocket, which is very easy to get into and out of.

Hope that is helpful!

pseub said:
OK, so I just saw the Stella "up close and personal" at Neimans. The leather is so gorgeous and the bag is sublime. I'm so getting this bag!

Oh, and isn't the lining lovely? Mine just showed up, and I think it is just wonderful. The perfect (for me!) spring bag! And the best part is, I really think the white is a good all year white, not too stark, so I'm not waiting for spring to carry it!