Two separate listings, same pictures

JeninND

Certified Coachie
Nov 28, 2009
I found 2 listings on eBay for a Coach Brooke bag in Cherry. The pictures are the EXACT same.

I contacted both sellers and asked "Is these pictures of the actual bag you're selling, taken by you? Thanks!". Seller A wrote back immediately, saying they are. Seller B has not responded. I wrote back again to Seller A and said "I was just curious because there is another auction by Seller B with the same exact pictures." She responded by saying Seller B is a friend and she gave her permission to use the pictures.

Isn't that fraudulent? Seller B's pictures are NOT of the bag she's actually selling. Would you report this, and how so? I may wait until Seller B responds. What would you do?

I believe this is legal since the seller gave permission to use her photos. Is it a new bag? If so then maybe she does not have a camera and figured it is ok because the bags are both new and in same condition. If this was a used bag then that may be different. Also possibly the seller has 2 accounts and has a bag listed on each account.

Jen... did you post both of the ebay links in the AT COACH to see if the girls there recognize either seller as the original owner? OR either seller as a repetitive photo-thief? I think the girls on the ATcoach need to be aware. And may have further input.

Agree with Italian Fashion, Ebay DOES allow use of another's photos w/ permission. IF such permission was really given.

Permission was given. These girls are resellers, obviously they do it together, because one has 1 Brooke and the other has at LEAST 4 listed. All with the same pics. They are NWT bags, so I suppose no harm is done. It just irritates me. Coach is giving ban letters to legitimate buyers, while letting someone buy 4 of the exact same bag at the outlet.. hello, what do you THINK they're going to do with those bags?!

Just a thought but does ebay now allow photos to be shared? I know there was a thread on this situation but I cant remember the exact details..

I also thought the same thing. I could be wrong but I thought listings with the camera icon at the bottom right corner of the picture were able to be shared and you had to change your settings to not allow others to use your pictures.

Yeah, you are no supposed to share photos on ebay or use stock photos. Even if its the same bag the sellers should have taken their own sets of pictures.

Wow, what a small world! I'm the one you are referring to. I'm the one JeninND first emailed AKA seller A. I just want to let you know that photo sharing is permitted by Ebay as long as the other person has the originals permission. As a top rated seller I make sure that my Ebay status meets all Ebays standards.
I am the one who had 4 of the Brookes listed. I bought 2 at two different stores.
If anyone has any questions or would like to comment to me, just send me a message. ;)

Wow, what a small world! I'm the one you are referring to. I'm the one JeninND first emailed AKA seller A. I just want to let you know that photo sharing is permitted by Ebay as long as the other person has the originals permission. As a top rated seller I make sure that my Ebay status meets all Ebays standards.
I am the one who had 4 of the Brookes listed. I bought 2 at two different stores.
If anyone has any questions or would like to comment to me, just send me a message. ;)

I was also thinking it was okay to share pics as long as the original seller did not mind.

One time a new seller copied my whole listing, even my shipping info, about us, and everything else word for word. I didn't report her though, instead I just emailed her explaining that she needed to ask before copying my whole listing and that it took my alot of work to put that listing together. I also let her know that she could have been reported. Of course my luck, she sold the item for higher then mine went for, lol!

Just a thought. I'd never buy form someone who doesn't take the time to take pictures of each bag and post them because when I'm buying something secondhand, even secondhand mint with tags, I want to see the pictures of the bag I'm getting. Your reputation is maybe at risk if you keep putting the same pictures up rather than putting up pictures of each individual bag because I doubt I'm the only person who feels like this IMO. :shrugs: