Workplace Two job choices, which one to pick?!?

krasavitza

Member
May 10, 2012
365
48
I'm in a bit of a dilemma here. I had an interview for a company on monday and was told that I'd get a reply back by Wednesday to let me know if the job was mine. I felt I nailed it and when I didnt hear back from them, I emailed them yesterday to see if the position was still available. I'm currently unemployed, and although I have no experience in that field, I felt like its something I could get into, especially with the incentive of such great benefits and a good pay scale.

In the meantime, I went to another interview today, the HR manager and my potential supervisor interviewed me together, and LOVED me, I can tell if left up to them, they would hire me on the spot, but instead they told me they want me to come back tuesday and meet with the vice president of the company, and eventually they'll decide whether ive made the cut or not. The position would start on November 10. This job is more in line with what i've been doing in the past, and again, the pay scale is excellent - i'd say even more money than the first job although more hours than the first job I interviewed for, but I feel like I would get along well with the staff here more than at the other company (predominantly male and ultra orthodox Jewish staff).

Im stuck on what to do. The company I interviewed with on Monday called me today and asked me to come in on Monday and review the offer they're making, and if I accept I can start on Tuesday. Ideally, I'd like to have the second interview at the place I interviewed today and then see where I go, but I dont know the appropriate mode of action to delay the process of accepting or rejecting the first offer.

I just dont want to refuse the first job in hopes that ill get the one I interviewed for today, but then end up with nothing at all.

Would it be appropriate to call HR and ask them at today's interview how long the turnaround would be in reference to getting a response after my interview on tuesday? Or is that unacceptable?

TIA
 

lorihmatthews

A taste for the arts
O.G.
Oct 7, 2006
31,834
7,193
San Francisco
I would call company #2 and tell them you're expecting an offer from company #1 on Monday and ask if you can meet with their VP earlier. Tell them that you'd rather work for them but if they're not going to extend an offer you're going to take the job with company #1. They'll understand that you need to make sure at the end of it all that you have a job.
 

krasavitza

Member
May 10, 2012
365
48
Ok, so i called and left a voicemail for both the HR manager and future supervisor. I hope I dont come across desperate!!
 

krasavitza

Member
May 10, 2012
365
48
Another question, how do I buy time with the first company that offered me a job? They want me to start tomorrow but I'd like to wait till next week so I could see what happens with the other company I interviewed for
 

redney

Lovin' Life!
O.G.
Apr 21, 2006
14,041
5,394
Did you ever talk with someone about waiting on the other company's offer?
 

krasavitza

Member
May 10, 2012
365
48
I did not. I went to the first company today and wasn't exactly blown away by the offer. I did tell them that I need a week to decide and they said it's fine. I really do hope the second company calls me tomorrow to come interview with the VP as they originally said they would
 

KensingtonUK

Member
Jun 13, 2014
881
354
I'm in a bit of a dilemma here. I had an interview for a company on monday and was told that I'd get a reply back by Wednesday to let me know if the job was mine. I felt I nailed it and when I didnt hear back from them, I emailed them yesterday to see if the position was still available. I'm currently unemployed, and although I have no experience in that field, I felt like its something I could get into, especially with the incentive of such great benefits and a good pay scale.

In the meantime, I went to another interview today, the HR manager and my potential supervisor interviewed me together, and LOVED me, I can tell if left up to them, they would hire me on the spot, but instead they told me they want me to come back tuesday and meet with the vice president of the company, and eventually they'll decide whether ive made the cut or not. The position would start on November 10. This job is more in line with what i've been doing in the past, and again, the pay scale is excellent - i'd say even more money than the first job although more hours than the first job I interviewed for, but I feel like I would get along well with the staff here more than at the other company (predominantly male and ultra orthodox Jewish staff).

Im stuck on what to do. The company I interviewed with on Monday called me today and asked me to come in on Monday and review the offer they're making, and if I accept I can start on Tuesday. Ideally, I'd like to have the second interview at the place I interviewed today and then see where I go, but I dont know the appropriate mode of action to delay the process of accepting or rejecting the first offer.

I just dont want to refuse the first job in hopes that ill get the one I interviewed for today, but then end up with nothing at all.

Would it be appropriate to call HR and ask them at today's interview how long the turnaround would be in reference to getting a response after my interview on tuesday? Or is that unacceptable?

TIA

Yes and also it's ok to call HR to let them know that you have another job offer and have a week to respond. They won't necessarily change or rush anything, many jobs take months to go through the process however, it's acceptable to let them know what the deal is. Just don't make it sound like you are giving them an ultimatum
 

SWlife

For the love of beautiful things
O.G.
Oct 18, 2006
15,250
2,267
New Mexico
Well my goodness.... I'm on pins & needles here. What happened with OP's job offers?