Two articles in the Sunday papers this week

I read a small article in grazia saying the new cars bags are so cool and will defo out sell the Alexa?!? Seriously!!

It's been pointed out so much that the "target audience" of this bag just won't have the money and those that do don't like the bag! It's falling on deaf ears though! Bring back classic British mulberry bags with strong classic designs...at a good price point

Personally I would like a backpack. But the style is very unimaginative. I think they're right that it will not be a very big hit in the UK or Europe. I do think the chances of it selling out in Asia are quite high.

My Mum actually spotted the ST article & passed it over for me to read. I don't hate the bags, just rather underwhelmed and agree that the price point/target market just isn't there! Mulberry really need to do something about appointing a new designer - celeb collaborations are OK for a one-off but won't cut it ongoing....

Managed to find all the article, very good read, definitely all true. "Mulberry is bleeding money". And their bankers, Barclays profit forecast for next year down by 37 % !

You have to wonder how long the shareholders really will stick by Bruno. I wonder if the problem with taking on a new designer is the difficulty of working with Bruno. Who wants to risk their reputation with this ever downward spiral ?

The article was really damming and not impressed with the Cara range from a price point of view. The range is definitely aimed at the Asian market but will they buy it? Pretty sure they are not going to have many takers in the UK:nogood:

I didn't even know who Alexa Chung was when I bought my first Alexa. Just loved the bag, only found it was named after her when reading snippets on TPF so googled to see who she was :lolots:

No way would I buy a bag because of who it was named after or which Celeb had been seen carrying it.

The article in the Sunday Times also mentions mentions this comment by Viiki Day
That the bags would appeal to her 27 year old daughter but she doesn't have £1000 to spend on a bag whereas women her age has but she doesn't like Celebs..........guess aspiring to Celebs is something we go through when we are younger but we later grow out of it

I'm only just 28 and bought my first M bag around 5 years ago (when they were much more reasonably priced mind you - and I have never bought one at full price - only ever on sale or from one of the outlets or even nearly new from ebay). Anyways sorry getting back my point - I'm quite young and do not buy bags because i aspire to be the celeb that has inspired it - but because I love the bag itself. So I don't really know who M are targeting...more like 16 year olds who might want to be like cara?? But then they'd not likely be able to go out and buy one for themselves... Hmmm...

Why can't M just make really well thought out beautiful bags (with proper designers) that are sold on their own merit rather than putting a celeb name behind them? In my opinion it's almost lazy and unimaginative to go down the celeb 'designed' them route...

I'm only just 28 and bought my first M bag around 5 years ago (when they were much more reasonably priced mind you - and I have never bought one at full price - only ever on sale or from one of the outlets or even nearly new from ebay). Anyways sorry getting back my point - I'm quite young and do not buy bags because i aspire to be the celeb that has inspired it - but because I love the bag itself. So I don't really know who M are targeting...more like 16 year olds who might want to be like cara?? But then they'd not likely be able to go out and buy one for themselves... Hmmm...

Why can't M just make really well thought out beautiful bags (with proper designers) that are sold on their own merit rather than putting a celeb name behind them? In my opinion it's almost lazy and unimaginative to go down the celeb 'designed' them route...

Exactly, you are not alone Gilson, there have been loads of comments from TPFers from your age group giving the Cara collection the thumbs down. I have no idea what they are basing this on. So she has 1.7million followers on Twitter and 2million on Instagram..............WHAT, who are all these followers???? I'm sure they won't be all rushing out buying there favourite IT girl of the moments bag inspired by her tattoos with a gaudy Made in England across the bottom for a mere £1000.

Sure you are right and they are more likely to be around 16 or quite possibly considerably younger. 9 - 16 maybe..........I mean who would really tweets pics of themselves strung up to an IV and what are Mulberry thinking off :nono: :sad: it's all very sad really

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 295
Exactly, you are not alone Gilson, there have been loads of comments from TPFers from your age group giving the Cara collection the thumbs down. I have no idea what they are basing this on. So she has 1.7million followers on Twitter and 2million on Instagram..............WHAT, who are all these followers???? I'm sure they won't be all rushing out buying there favourite IT girl of the moments bag inspired by her tattoos with a gaudy Made in England across the bottom for a mere £1000.

Sure you are right and they are more likely to be around 16 or quite possibly considerably younger. 9 - 16 maybe..........I mean who would really tweets pics of themselves strung up to an IV and what are Mulberry thinking off :nono: :sad: it's all very sad really

Eeeeeeeeek what is that!??

Wowzers!! That's a lot of followers! I couldn't name one person I know that's a fan (I don't dislike her or anything just have no real interest) Wishful thinking if M were hoping all her followers will buy a bag! Ha!

And the IV drip is ridiculous - especially tweeting pics of it (considering how many young followers she'll probably have).

I only really see one winner in this whole bag collaboration situ and that's Cara herself! Think of all the freebies not to mention pay cheque! Not quite so sure how successful it'll be for M but intrigued to find out soon! Xx

I'm 26, I have loved the Bayswater since I first laid eyes on it and have only recently been able to own a mini Bayswater (gift from fiancé who, by the way Liz Jones , didn't cheat) and a standard Bayswater (Boxing Day sale!).

For me, after becoming aware of the recent Facebook comments showing contempt for true customers & their association with Cara, I genuinely don't think I'll buy another. (The design of the new range is truly not to my, or most Mulberry fans, taste).

Not to mention, the horrific price rise. I've just about reached an age & lifestyle where I can justify £600 on a bag but, over £1000 for something very similar to what I just purchased in the sale? No, thanks! I, too, would rather 'invest' in Chanel!

The Mulberry management would do well to read this forum.

I know it's from last week but I think that might be a rewrite of an earlier article or a bunch of journalists went on the visit together, because I definitely read some of those quotes somewhere else in the day or so after the Cara bag announcement. Or I dreamed it, LOL.

I think it's good that Mulberry is moving production into the UK and I do believe that accounts for some of the price rise, as will an increase in material costs. I don't, however, believe that it accounts for the whole rise - at least part of it down to the point mentioned in the article about Mulberry wanting to increase margin. I just hope they haven't tried to go for too much too soon.

Anyway I'm flying through T5 this week so will be checking out the bags there. If I find a bag attractive and think the price is right, I'm not going to swear off Mulberry.

So I guess no more special purchase :sad:

This was confirmed over a year ago by head of customer services. She just couldn't say when. :smile:

I thought they had been saying this for ages but they seem to be making more than ever, seems they have done a u turn

There was the EW bays before Xmas, the SS plaster pink Lily and Alexa I think. Recently there was the grape Alexa and I am sure there have been loads more. If they are not going to be making specials, improving quality and not making so many bags what are they going to have left to sell in the Outlets? It sounds as though the Outlets will be "bleeding" money too if that's what happens and they will have empty shops.