*TWISTED CHAIN ISSUE* on 17B Mini Flaps

StarBrite310

Purse & Jewelry Fanatic!
O.G.
Jun 6, 2007
Per another member's request, I have decided to make its own thread about this problem so we can properly discuss in one place why it maybe happened, and what we can do to fix it.

After I received my new 17B caviar black mini with LGHW on Tuesday, I immediately noticed something "off" with the bag. The entire chain was twisted, and there was nothing I could do to fix the issue myself. I originally thought it was just a problem with mine and that I got unlucky, but I soon came to find out after posting about it in the Fall Act I thread on here that 99.999% of all the minis this season have the exact same issue! Now it's a full on frenzy and I hope this thread can help those people who purchased the new caviar mini, or are thinking about getting one.

Basically from one end to the other, the chain twists and does not lay flat. This means when you wear the bag cross body, the chain in front will be flat while the back will be twisted, or vice versa. Reason being? Because the last link attached to the link on the leather ring inside the bag was put on in the opposite direction.

To check if your bag has the twisted chain issue, open the flap and make sure the chains connected to the bag are lying in the proper way. Then lay the chain out above the bag and keep it going in one direction. If it twists anywhere where you cannot fix it, your bag has the defect.

Good news though is that it is fixable, as just the last link needs to be removed and put back on in the correct direction. A professional cobbler can do it, but will it scratch the link? That we don't know yet. All in all, nice right? What do you want for $3100??? :annoyed:

Theories:

1. It's a conspiracy and a group of Chanel workers all got together and decided to put the chains on wonky to mess with us.... haha probably not, but who knows at this point?

2. The bags are actually made by a machine and not all handmade like we thought. This could be a bad batch.

~ Also, I must mention that the new 17B caviar minis DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT have a 23" chain length. Mine was barely at 22" but I was able to stretch it to 22 1/2" by filling it up with things and hanging it off a coat hanger for a little while. AND.... the bag also does not have a perfect rectangular shape as minis from past seasons. You can tell in one of the photos I posted further down.

Some Photos:

My bag...
Normal direction at first ~

IMG_7638.JPG

Starting to twist ~
IMG_7639.JPG

Full on twist ~
IMG_7640.JPG

Picture from TPFer:
xsimplicity ~

IMG_3586.JPG

Picture from TPFer:
L etoile ~
Next to PERFECT 17C pink mini

IMG_7190.jpg

Last edited:
Actually I think it's perfect to have this thread as I've been trying to comb through the Fall thread just to read posts on this twist.

I just came back from the cobbler and he told me that it is possible that when he tries to open the chain link it may snap and if it doesn't snap, when he goes to close it it will never align perfectly like it does now. He doesn't want that liable (especially after he asked me how much the bag costed). So this cobbler solution is out, at least for me because I'm not trying to snap anything on my brand new bag.

I've also questioned my SA about this twist and she says she can't see what I'm talking about despite clearly pointing out in the picture where the twist begins?!

I'm so conflicted because if I return the bag, I won't be getting another because it'll likely have this issue too. But I paid over 4K CAD for this and idk if I can let this go (I'm a bit OCD) [emoji30]

You don't need to comb the thread. It's the only discussion in it.
And that's the problem! Lots of people want to share their new perfect purchases in there as well and it can become buried due to mini chain posts. TPF is a place to share happy purchases too and also discuss issues with expensive purchases. I started this thread because another member requested it, not to mention that it can be difficult for those who are trying to follow to find all the posts mentioning this in the Fall Act I thread. Now it can be under one roof and hopefully help others.

Actually I think it's perfect to have this thread as I've been trying to comb through the Fall thread just to read posts on this twist.

I just came back from the cobbler and he told me that it is possible that when he tries to open the chain link it may snap and if it doesn't snap, when he goes to close it it will never align perfectly like it does now. He doesn't want that liable (especially after he asked me how much the bag costed). So this cobbler solution is out, at least for me because I'm not trying to snap anything on my brand new bag.

I've also questioned my SA about this twist and she says she can't see what I'm talking about despite clearly pointing out in the picture where the twist begins?!

I'm so conflicted because if I return the bag, I won't be getting another because it'll likely have this issue too. But I paid over 4K CAD for this and idk if I can let this go (I'm a bit OCD) [emoji30]
Where did you buy your bag from?

Toronto, Canada. It was the only one that arrived on launch day but I hear there's a few more now. But no point in exchanging it if most of them have this issue. I'm contemplating on whether or not to keep it [emoji30]
Yeah it's a tough decision :sad: May I suggest going back to your SA and asking if she has a lamb version on hand? Those don't seem to have the issue, or at least the few I saw don't. Maybe you can show your SA the difference and how one has a perfect chain and your mini doesn't? Not sure how she cannot see the problem, unless she's just hoping you keep it anyway.

The thing is, I live 5 hours away from the boutique so I'm not really inclined to drive there just to show her the issue and likely have her tell me there's nothing she can do about it other than to return it and give me store credit.

Thank you for starting this thread Starbrite310!

I do agree that I had to read in between posts, hoping I didn't miss anything in the Fall Act 1 thread.

I have the same issue!!!! I purchased the SHW, rectangle mini in black caviar. It is made in Italy. I feel this information is good to keep track of.

Last edited: