Turquoise durability

tulipfield

O.G.
Dec 11, 2007
I'm eyeing this type of necklace and wanting one with two letters, one in turquoise, one in sapphire cabochons. This would be my first turquoise piece--should I be worried about the turquoise getting scratched by the other pendant? I think the look is so cute but I would be so disappointed if the turquoise got banged up.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 4.38.46 PM.png

Turquoise is a rather soft natural gem material.
About a 5 on the Mohs scale.
It's mostly obtained in the Southwest US.
It needs protection from abrading with other things to avoid scratching the stones.
Be aware that this gem material can absorb perspiration and body oils and can be damaged by make-up or perfumes.

I would worry about it banging into the other letters banging into the turquoise letter would damage the stones.
However, this is just MHO.

Also most turquoise on the market is stabilized.

I would not worry about durability too much. Especially since you are thinking of a necklace, a bracelet or ring would be another story. :flowers:

I need to double-check with the brand but I believe all their turquoise is natural (the prices seemed to reflect that). If the stone is high-quality enough to be left untreated, does that mean it’s hard enough to avoid scratches for the most part?

I would double check to see if the stones are natural or have been stabilized.
Natural turquoise has about the same hardness as Opal.
5-6 on the Mohs scale and Opals are not known for their durability.

I need to double-check with the brand but I believe all their turquoise is natural (the prices seemed to reflect that). If the stone is high-quality enough to be left untreated, does that mean it’s hard enough to avoid scratches for the most part?

@RTone has given you some great information.
Natural vs stabilized will not change it’s ability to scratch. Stabilizing is mainly used so that material too brittle to use for jewelry can be used, and also watch out for composite turqoise, I am not sure about it’s hardness. Also, it is extremely hard to tell what is natural vs stabilized.
The formation of turquoise does not happen under pressure like say diamonds, it will never have a hard structure compared to some other gemstones. But it will get less wear around your neck vs your wrist or hand which tend to bump jewelry around. If you are worried about its durability but like blue there are many blue gemstones you could look at.:flowers:

And finally:PI apologize for my ramblings.

@RTone has given you some great information.
Natural vs stabilized will not change it’s ability to scratch. Stabilizing is mainly used so that material too brittle to use for jewelry can be used, and also watch out for composite turqoise, I am not sure about it’s hardness. Also, it is extremely hard to tell what is natural vs stabilized.
The formation of turquoise does not happen under pressure like say diamonds, it will never have a hard structure compared to some other gemstones. But it will get less wear around your neck vs your wrist or hand which tend to bump jewelry around. If you are worried about its durability but like blue there are many blue gemstones you could look at.:flowers:

And finally:PI apologize for my ramblings.

No need to apologize, I’m obviously here for jewelry talk. :lol: I have to think about it. They have a few different stones to choose from but the turquoise/sapphire combo is :loveeyes: