Travel Tumi vs Riwoma Which one should I pick?

uhpharm01

O.G.
Nov 11, 2012
Last year I spent about 5 months researching carry on luggage. I tried almost every brand available. I know many are huge fans of Riwoma but to me, it was very overpriced. I didn't like the zipper, didn't like the lack of organization and functionality.

I ended up buying a Travelpro Crew rollerbag (without the spinner wheels) and it's almost perfect. It has traveled hundreds of thousands of miles with the wheels still intact, the fabric as new (albeit a bit dirty) and the handle and locks still perfect.

I would recommend you check it out, much better price point as well.

Last year I spent about 5 months researching carry on luggage. I tried almost every brand available. I know many are huge fans of Riwoma but to me, it was very overpriced. I didn't like the zipper, didn't like the lack of organization and functionality.

I ended up buying a Travelpro Crew rollerbag (without the spinner wheels) and it's almost perfect. It has traveled hundreds of thousands of miles with the wheels still intact, the fabric as new (albeit a bit dirty) and the handle and locks still perfect.

I would recommend you check it out, much better price point as well.

I second TravelPro Crew. Excellent, sturdy, durable, good organization and not ridiculously overpriced.

Well, I for one do like my Salsa Air. I have the biggest one. To me lightweight was most important and at the time It was the best option on the market. As for quality. Since its so light it doesn't have the same sturdiness as the regular Salsa but I've been happy with it. No problem with the zipper or lack of organization even though I put 50 pounds in it. I got a crack in it once but the flight carrier got me a new one. Another time my friend broke the handle. I have to say though, that it was rough handling on her part. Anyway .. Rimowa fixed it for free so not a problem. Would I buy it again? Yes, I would.

My main consideration was weight as well because I only travel with carry-on and I have to meet some air carriers' weight limit so I picked Rimowa's Salsa Air (now have the Ultralight as well which is the lightest on the market). Organization has never been an issue because I pack my clothes in packing sacks if I need to corral them, shoes go in their shoe bags, little things go in the toiletry bag, and all my documents and gadgets go in my personal bag.

Another vote for Rimowa. Very durable and light and I have taken it all over the world.

My main consideration was weight as well because I only travel with carry-on and I have to meet some air carriers' weight limit so I picked Rimowa's Salsa Air (now have the Ultralight as well which is the lightest on the market). Organization has never been an issue because I pack my clothes in packing sacks if I need to corral them, shoes go in their shoe bags, little things go in the toiletry bag, and all my documents and gadgets go in my personal bag.

Well, I for one do like my Salsa Air. I have the biggest one. To me lightweight was most important and at the time It was the best option on the market. As for quality. Since its so light it doesn't have the same sturdiness as the regular Salsa but I've been happy with it. No problem with the zipper or lack of organization even though I put 50 pounds in it. I got a crack in it once but the flight carrier got me a new one. Another time my friend broke the handle. I have to say though, that it was rough handling on her part. Anyway .. Rimowa fixed it for free so not a problem. Would I buy it again? Yes, I would.

the Salsa will probably be my carry on. thank you

I read the NYT article.
I do a lot of adventure travel and swear by the REI wheely beast that is mentioned.
I don't use it for other travel. The medium holds a ton.
I couldn't pack without eagle creek cubes and folders.

I'd go for Rimowa.
I have a set of Rimowa (Topas) for the family and it has been great. We travel a lot. My spouse had a few peices of Tumi, and it was good, but zippers eventually failed.

(I should add they sent me replacement wheels to my home, no charge, after some particularly rough EU>Asia>US travel.)

Last edited:
The Salsa Air is my favorite. It's light, durable and well-designed. I like the lightest suitcase possible, but if you don't mind a little extra weight, the regular Salsa is a little more functional. The wheels are a little bigger, it has a side handle and a double telescoping handle that is easier to attach extra bags onto.