Trying to decide on a HAC 28

Rockerchic

O.G.
Jun 9, 2006
I've searched the forum and read all there is to read but still can't make up my mind. For those of you with or who have tried both a birkin 30 and a Hac 28? which did you chose and why? if you have both, which do you prefer to carry and in what situations?
Also, please post pix of you carrying the hac 28--both hand held and on the arm if possible.
I did see La Van's (I think) beautiful pix but would love to see more.
Thanks!

I have to confess that I am probably one of the few people who cannot rock the HAC... At first I thought it's because the 32 HAC is a little big on me..... But the 30 birkin is perfect IMO for me~

then I saw an HAC 28 IRL in a reddish brown (don't remember the name) and I was soooo excited! It looked sooo cute~ but the moment I looked into the mirror:crybaby: didn't look good on me, looked like I was carrying a lunch box.... So I blamed it on the color! It wasn't a happy color...

Then I was lucky enough to run into a fuschia birdie HAC 28 with violet piping!!:love: totally drop dead gorgy~ perfect color, stunning combo! I was jumping up and down, all so excited..... Then I looked into the mirror ....:pout::pout::pout: I still looked funny.

I'm sorry I don't have pics of the HAC28, but my conclusiion was that I was simply not skinny enough nor tall enough to make the proportion of the HAC look just right on me~~

For me, the 25 birkin looks way better than the 28 HAC....

not helping much here..... but I sure remember how great you look with the HAC 32!!

Thanks so much boo. I found a hac in the exact leather color hw combo that I love and just trying to decide whether I should get it or not.
This is such a hard decision!
It is obvious that the hac 28 doesn't seem to work for very many people because the ones that I have seen tend to be on the shelf for a loooong time before someone purchases them.
I have held a hac 28 before and wish I had some pix with it. I'd liek to see how it looked on me on my arm and hand held. Ofcourse now I can't remember many details about it!:P
From what I remember, I liked the shape and proportions but felt it was more comfortable as a hand held bag vs over the wrist. I definitely could get it on my wrist but I think it bumped into my bracelet or watch which might annoy me after awhile.

How lucky! exact leather color and hw combo is always a dream come true~~

I remember the handles were significantly shorter, I had a hard time slipping my hand through the handles to put it on my wrist. Speaking of which, I remember another MAIN reason I didn't get the HAC 28 - I asked DH to hold it and stand in a distance for me to look at it, he complained he cannot even put his fingers around the handles comfortably as a hand held!! haha~ so there goes his vote AGAINST the little cutie~:nono:

Rocker, I have never tried on a 28cm HAC, but I did SO one last year before I got a 30cm Birkin. I like the 30cm so much that I made a felt model of the 28cm to make sure I would still like my SO. From what I can tell, using the model and looking at Smom's comparison pic if a 28 vs 30, the width doesn't look that much different on, once you account for slouch. I'm sure inside, there's less room than with the 30cm. I'm thinking, hoping, that it won't look too much different from a 30cm Birkin other than the shorter handles (more handheld than on the arm) and slight height difference.

Edit: just read Boo's comment on the handles. That's my one worry about the 28 vs the 30, since there's a pretty big difference between the two sizes. I'm thinking it would be a hand held only bag for me, unless I'm not wearing a bracelet or watch.

What leather are you looking at, Rocker?

Last edited:
Rocker, I have never tried on a 28cm HAC, but I did SO one last year before I got a 30cm Birkin. I like the 30cm so much that I made a felt model of the 28cm to make sure I would still like my SO. From what I can tell, using the model and looking at Smom's comparison pic if a 28 vs 30, the width doesn't look that much different on, once you account for slouch. I'm sure inside, there's less room than with the 30cm. I'm thinking, hoping, that it won't look too much different from a 30cm Birkin other than the shorter handles (more handheld than on the arm) and slight height difference.

Edit: just read Boo's comment on the handles. That's my one worry about the 28 vs the 30, since there's a pretty big difference between the two sizes. I'm thinking it would be a hand held only bag for me, unless I'm not wearing a bracelet or watch.

What leather are you looking at, Rocker?

OB, the leather is chevre which is one of my very favorites. I think I remember actually preferring the 28 proportions to the 30. The darn handles are probably the most problematic thing. I wish they were at least the size of the 32 hac.

Didn't you get rid of all your 30cm Birkins as you thought they were too small? I remember a stunning one in miel or some other honey color - couldn't believe you sold it.

So now, what's the attraction? I think the handles could be a real problem in the winter when one is wearing a coat.

ROCKER......

I've had both a 28cm HAC (black Chevre) and a 32cm HAC (black Box) and sold them both.

I am not a fan of the North/South look coupled with the small handles AND it just doesn't sit/open/move the way a Birkin does. Let me see if I can find pics for you....

Rocker..... it is VERY hard to move a HAC once you've decided to sell it if it doesn't work for you. You will lose quite a bit of money....

...hold on, let me see where my pics are....

Ok.......I first owned the 32 and sold it because it was too big/tall/unwieldy for me and then bought the 28cm because I thought that size would work better. The 28cm is DEFINATELY a handbag...no way is it going to slide comfortably up your arm if you're wearing a long sleeved anything...and forget about a coat! You can see the 32cm sitting on my forearm but I had to place it there.

The 32 is the one with the heavy sweater and the 28 is the one with the black sweater....I am a petite 5'3" and about 110 lbs with small-ish bone structure. I am happy as a clam with a Birkin.....the HAC always tempts me but I've learned my lesson...the expensive way!

Attachments

• HAC32a  130.jpg
    HAC32a 130.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 599
  • HAC28  131.jpg
    HAC28 131.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:
Reactions: Natgalilee
Hi RockerChic! I haven't seen you in awhile! I'm still drooling over your closet pics!! :biggrin: Your daughter is growing up so quickly!! :biggrin:

Rocker, I have a 30cm but never had a HAC 28. I did have a 25cm before I consigned it - it was a little too small for me - felt more like a Kelly w/o the strap. There is a bit more handle clearance w/ the 30cm and felt I could use that as an everyday bag, as well as an evening bag when the sides are tucked in. But if memory serves - didn't you have some 30cm before? :thinking:

Rocker, will your HAC 28 be an everyday bag? Searching through the threads I did come across a lot of women sporting their 25cm Birkins as an everyday bag. They do slip the handles and wear it as a wrist bag... really cute photos! So, I'm thinking if they were able to wear the 25cm on their wrists - perhaps its possible on the HAC 28? But only in the Spring and Summer... the winter coats is a hand carry.

Would you be able to wear this 1st or will the purchase be sight unseen?

RC,
I have tried a 28cm HAC in raisn box (my HG if it has been a birkin). But its just not right. It feels too smallish for a everyday bag. And something about the handles too. Its just cute but really not practical to me. I'm 5 ft 4. Strangely a 30cm birkin and a 32cm HAC work out for me.

RC, I had a 32cm HAC and sold it b/c I didn't like the shorter handles...it definitely is a handbag and hard to wear on the wrist or arm. For your reference I am 5' 1" and very petite.

I imagine the 28cm HAC would have even shorter handles. I've seen it IRL and it is cute! Good luck with your decision!

I appreciate all your help. I've decided against the hac 28. S'Mom, I appreciate your advice regarding resale and took that into account to. I decided that if I wasn't 100% sure that this would be a keeper, I'd better pass. I tend to have bag ADHD and wouldn't want to loose a bundle if I decided it wasn't for me.
Kaz and LZ have gorgeous hac 28s in black chevre and phw (grail combo for me) and they have been sitting for a looooooooong time. If the 28 is a keeper for someone, these look like great looking bags....but not for me....