Trying to decide between Monogram and Damier...Help!!!

I can't say I like damier more than mono, but it's the stress of the vachetta I don't like. I really hate getting water stains and oil marks, etc. on it. It looks gross to me. Sometimes I really want to get a mono bag like the Hudson PM, but then I think about all the vachetta.

I was in the same exact situation this weekend when I bought my Speedy 30 in Damier.

At first, I really wanted it in Mono, but the more I thought about it....I drop stuff, spill stuff (we're all human, after all!) and live in a wet, snowy, humid climate (lovely, huh?)....so I decided the Damier was a more practical choice for me. I don't necessarily like one more than the other....but I am loving the chocolate leather on the Damier!

I agree with those that say that a bag in mono is an ideal first bag, but I guess I wanted my "first LV" experience to be a special one, and I didn't think that stressing about the vachetta, rain spots, and uneven patina on my first bag was the best way for me to go.

I think I will eventually end up with a mono bag of some sort, but for now, I am loving my Speedy in Damier, and I think I will get a cles or cosmetic bag in mono, that way I don't have to worry as much about it, while still having a mono item.

It is a hard decision. I think it depends on what style of bag you're looking for. Since it's your first, I would get the bag you like the most and if it's Mono fine and if not Damier.

I got the Mono for my first bag but it was because I loved the BH. My next LV will be Damier. I'm thinking Saleya or Duomo.

Good luck and keep us posted.

LVlovingteacher said:
Do these bags hold up well with frequent or everyday use?

I can only speak for Damier, but it is very rugged. I am not very careful about putting my bag on the ground, bumping into walls, etc. and the Damier still looks great.

I only carry the Damier line....I vote for the Damier b/c...

1. Its less of a hassel far as cleaning and staining...
2. Its not a recongnizable and that can be a blessing at times...
3. Its a tad stiffer than the Mono (in my opinion) and seems to hold its shape a bit better....
4. Its a great classic color that is understated.....
5. Less people tend to carry this line vs. the Mono that is pratically everywhere
6. The ageing process is not so apparent with this line compared to the more distinct changes of the Mono

I luv luv the Damier line! Let us know of your decision and pics plz!!!!:yes:

i prefer Damier. Less fakes and looks very classy even when ure wearing a simple white tee and jeans. Winter is coming up too---damier speedy will be a great fall/winter bag. Less Stress!

I'm also getting my first LV, possibly tomorrow, and I made my mnd up a long time ago that I want a Damier bag. I see the Mono everywhere, many are fake. Plus. I work in an environment where I need to remain more low-key. The Mono doesn't do that for me, whereas a lot of people dont know what a Damier is. For me it's between the Illovo MM and the Belem MM. The Belem is more my size, but there's such a difference in price.

you can always get a mono and spray leather protector stuff to care for it... but really depends, would you be likely to buy another bag anytime soon? if not that perhaps a damier, but if your first purhcase is most likely be followed by another, then a mono.. =)