Trying to buy my first Chanel

maddy2280

Jan 3, 2010
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the Chanel forum, although I've been lurking here for a while trying to get Intel from the best possible sources :smile:. I have been trying to purchase my first Chanel (boy medium in black caviar with ghw) and I've come to the realization that this combo is extremely difficult to find. There are only 2 Chanel locations in my area of which one is in a department store. I've put my name on the list at Neiman's however, was reluctant to do so at the Chanel boutique as they required a full payment to reserve it..which confused me because I don't know how long I will be waiting for the bag. They had no idea when and how many will they get in and how many people are ahead of me. I already have been waiting months for a call back from various department stores.
So my question to all you lovely people is... Can you advise me on what's the best possible way to get my hands on my hg bag or do I need to rethink the combo and go for calf skin as per SA those come in more frequently? Even though the recent price increase disheartened me, I'm not discouraged, I still want it, I have loved it for quiet some time and am not ready to give up :smile:

My advice is to go for the one you love. Having said that, sometimes that is hard with chanel because either it's impossible to find the color hw combo, or they won't do a particular color for a while, etc. If trading caviar for calf is not a big deal to you and you are open to it, then that could be an option so you don't have to continue to wait. If you are really set on caviar, then really think about whether you are willing to compromise because it's a big purchase and you should be 100% happy with it. Have you seen them both in person? Are you absolutely in love with one versus the other? Either route you go with, I am sure you will love the bag...they are so stunning! Let us know what you decide!

Are you sure they require full payment up front at your boutique before the bag even arrives? At my local boutique I give my credit card information but I am not actually charged until the bag comes in. This guarantees that the bag is reserved for me. If I do not like the bag, I have the option of returning it in the 2 week period.

My advice is to go for the one you love. Having said that, sometimes that is hard with chanel because either it's impossible to find the color hw combo, or they won't do a particular color for a while, etc. If trading caviar for calf is not a big deal to you and you are open to it, then that could be an option so you don't have to continue to wait. If you are really set on caviar, then really think about whether you are willing to compromise because it's a big purchase and you should be 100% happy with it. Have you seen them both in person? Are you absolutely in love with one versus the other? Either route you go with, I am sure you will love the bag...they are so stunning! Let us know what you decide!

Thanks lovemall.

I think I'm really set on caviar. However, various sales associates have told me that the black caviar w ghw has not been produced lately. Would you know if bergdorfs does a waiting list? The main Saks said they need a cc to do a reserve and it will be charged when ever they ship it. I have already done that with another store. I don't feel comfortable handing over cc info to multiple stores and get slammed with multiple charges.

I need help... Aaaah :smile:

Are you sure they require full payment up front at your boutique before the bag even arrives? At my local boutique I give my credit card information but I am not actually charged until the bag comes in. This guarantees that the bag is reserved for me. If I do not like the bag, I have the option of returning it in the 2 week period.

I think you are right. That's what they said. My mistake.

Thanks lovemall.

I think I'm really set on caviar. However, various sales associates have told me that the black caviar w ghw has not been produced lately. Would you know if bergdorfs does a waiting list? The main Saks said they need a cc to do a reserve and it will be charged when ever they ship it. I have already done that with another store. I don't feel comfortable handing over cc info to multiple stores and get slammed with multiple charges.

I need help... Aaaah :smile:

BG does not have any in at the moment and they dont know when they'll get it

They are out there though, so keep checking! Try calling NM in Vegas, last I was in they had a few.. but it was 2 months ago.. but the SA was really nice! Ask for Christina

Hi!

I know how you feel. I just went through a goose hunt to search for a boy in old medium and I found it! I've been searching it for months now and kinda gave up along the way until recently.

I also wouldn't settle just yet.

Are you looking for the old medium? I know you mentioned you didnt want to go through Saks, but I found mine in Saks NYC.

Let me know if you want the name of the lovely SA that helped me locate my boy bag. I can share her info and she might be able to locate your hg for you.

Hope that helps :smile:

Hello ladies! I am new here at this forum and iam looking forward to buy my first Chanel bag :smile: . The choice is not easy for me so i read some topics on the forum, looked online, checked instagram and visited mostly all Chanel stores in my area ( NY/NJ) . So after a lot of thinking, now i am choosing between classic medium in caviar beige and Chanel Perfect Edge Flap Bag. I like the last one because its elegant and edgy at the same time. But classic is classic, iam in love with a beige color though. The only thing its my first Chanel bag and i am afraid if i take classuc i would be disappointed and not feel "special" as so many women have it.

What do you think ladies? Its my first one and one to make a right choice :smile:

There are too many Chanel classic flaps flooding on the street in NYC so I share your feelings

I'd ask yourself is that if you buy perfect edge now, will you still caving for a classic?

Hello ladies! I am new here at this forum and iam looking forward to buy my first Chanel bag :smile: . The choice is not easy for me so i read some topics on the forum, looked online, checked instagram and visited mostly all Chanel stores in my area ( NY/NJ) . So after a lot of thinking, now i am choosing between classic medium in caviar beige and Chanel Perfect Edge Flap Bag. I like the last one because its elegant and edgy at the same time. But classic is classic, iam in love with a beige color though. The only thing its my first Chanel bag and i am afraid if i take classuc i would be disappointed and not feel "special" as so many women have it.

What do you think ladies? Its my first one and one to make a right choice :smile:

There are too many Chanel classic flaps flooding on the street in NYC so I share your feelings

I'd ask yourself is that if you buy perfect edge now, will you still caving for a classic?

Thank you for your answer. :smile: Its always good to share with someone who is on the same page with you.
I was walking by today on 5th ave, checked out one more time Bergdorf and Saks, while i was there i saw at least 20 women with classic Chanel. No joke ). Or i just started to pay attention to it or it just was a coincidence.
I loved one classic in pearl caviar leather today. Truly amazing!
I am concerned by the fact too that most of all SAs recommended me Perfect Edge Flap.. even its cheaper...

And i loved your advise!
I think i will still crave for a classic one...

Last edited:
I hear you! I was shocked every time I walked around BG and Bloomies this summer when I visited. Too many Chanel flaps, Lady Diors and Birkins!

I have nothing against perfect edge and I love the grey perfect edge but IMHO, sometimes SAs are just trying to sell whatever stock they have. Selling classics won't be too difficult for them. It's not always easy but forget about them for a second and think about what you'd like to have on your shoulder

I haven't seen this season's Ivory caviar in person yet but that is a seasonal color! If you like it, don't wait until it's gone! Black flaps are definitely too common around that area!

Thank you for your answer. :smile: Its always good to share with someone who is on the same page with you.
I was walking by today on 5th ave, checked out one more time Bergdorf and Saks, while i was there i saw at least 20 women with classic Chanel. No joke ). Or i just started to pay attention to it or it just was a coincidence.
I loved one classic in pearl caviar leather today. Truly amazing!
I am concerned by the fact too that most of all SAs recommended me Perfect Edge Flap.. even its cheaper...

And i loved your advise!
I think i will still crave for a classic one...