Trying to bond with my Mabel, but...

dollydaydream

Jan 1, 2008
Hi everyone, lusted after a red Mabel for ages and finally got a large one (not maxi) a while ago. Haven't taken her out yet but have tried her on several times.

I think the problem is the strap, I just can't seem to get it in the right position. If I don't fill her full enough then it gapes at the top of the bag and looks a bit daft, but then if I undo the strap and rebuckle it on another hole it hangs down below the bag and that also looks silly.

Is it just me or has anyone else had this problem?

TIA

Hi everyone, lusted after a red Mabel for ages and finally got a large one (not maxi) a while ago. Haven't taken her out yet but have tried her on several times.

I think the problem is the strap, I just can't seem to get it in the right position. If I don't fill her full enough then it gapes at the top of the bag and looks a bit daft, but then if I undo the strap and rebuckle it on another hole it hangs down below the bag and that also looks silly.

Is it just me or has anyone else had this problem?

TIA

That's the main reason why I like to look at the Mabel but would never actually own one. I just don't think it works as a shoulder bag at all.

No, riffraff, it's not the shoulder bag straps, it's the one that goes across the bag. And, Flossie, I don't have to unbuckle it every time I want to open it, it's just that it won't lie flat at the top of the bag or else it hangs down below.

This is what has me so confused about the Mabel. There was that other Midnight Mabel thread with great modeling pix and a great love affair...and then I hear these comments from you ladies...and just don't know WHAT to think about Mabel. Seems like a problemmatical handbag...?

This is what has me so confused about the Mabel. There was that other Midnight Mabel thread with great modeling pix and a great love affair...and then I hear these comments from you ladies...and just don't know WHAT to think about Mabel. Seems like a problemmatical handbag...?

It looks gorgeous but I think it's one of those love it or hate it bags. I just couldn't get on with it even though I still pine for a bright red one. I've rationalised it and it's the red goatskin I'm hankering for rather than the Mabel shape. I found the straps really awkward, not because they weren't long enough but because they were wide and kept slipping off my shoulder. I'm just not a Mabel girl.

Don't get me wrong I love the bag, it's just this darn strap - not the shoulder straps - that's bugging me. Hope these photos come through which illustrate the problem.

Attachments

• DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCF0004.JPG
    DSCF0004.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 57
Do you know, I wasn't sure what you meant at first dolly, but I think I see what you mean now. It looks as if the strap is too long? Now that you've pointed it out, I see it, but to be honest I'm sure I wouldn't have noticed otherwise.

I must admit that I've never noticed it on other mabels - could the longer strap be a feature with this particular size? I can't be much help as I'm not a mabel owner, but I'm intrigued now. I'm off to gawp at some other pics.....

Well, I'm a Mabel owner so I do know what you mean. I also don't fill my Mabel but I just don't mind that the strap gapes a little at the top. I actually like the look when the strap is a little loose on top... it also makes it a bit easier to get into the bag without removing the strap from the magnetic closure ;)

I don't think it looks good when I tighten the strap. Or rather, it changes the look of the bag.

That said, the strap on your bag does seam quite long ... but that might be because it's very tight?!

From the look of the first picture, I would loosen the strap with about 3 holes.

Ahh ... looking at the second picture again ... the strap does look very long. Is yours a large Mabel? (mine is a regluar/medium).

Last edited: