Trying on without buying...

gymangel812

<3OOO~~~
O.G.
Apr 14, 2006
does anyone feel odd going to stores and trying on several pairs with no intention of buying?? there are several pairs i'd love to try on to figure out sizing and how they feel but i never pay retail for shoes... so it would be very unlikely i would buy them. to be honest, i've bought all but 1 pair sight unseen, never trying them on. i feel awkward not buying anything after trying on something so i never even try anything on. i'd love to try on lanvin flats to see if they're comfy but i'm afraid of it being awkward not buying a pair... for those who try on successfully without buying, what do you say when you don't buy them? maybe if i found a good thing to say, i would feel better about doing it...

i try on all the time without buying...i used to feel bad abt it but then again why should i...chalk it up to research :smile:

oh, i guess it helps that i fit most of the display sizes...

I rarely buy on the first outing...I like to try my CLs on and think about them for a few days. My normal SAs know this, I have been this way since the beginning!

But I never feel guilty about it....if you are going to spend alot on shoes, or a bag, or really anything.....why should you feel guilty or rushed?

I think many of the ladies here do lots of ....er, um.....field research or intel!

Someone created a thread about this not long ago do a search there are plenty of opinions there :flowers: :biggrin: I personally think it's ok as long as your not waisting a SA's time like don't have them cater to you for ages while you try on every pair and then leave I'd say one or two pairs that you know you will definately buy eventually is fine and trying the display stock is fine too

One good thing about being a 36/36.5 is that almost all the display shoes are that size. Now that I think about it, the only times I've asked an SA to try on a pair of CL's are when I'm with other TPFers.

If I didn't fit into the displays, I'm not sure I would ask... I hate the feeling of SA's standing over me and waiting on me, and I would feel really awkward about trying them on and then not buying anything. Maybe I would feel differently if I always worked with and bought from the same SA- then I wouldn't feel like I was wasting his/her time, KWIM? Anyway, I don't think we should feel this way... that's what they're paid to do! As long as you're not asking them to go back and forth to the stock room multiple times, I think it should be fine :flowers:

I do it all the time. I actually tried on a pair of Pigalles today to figure out sizing in case the color I have been hoping for pops up on *bay.<Shush, don't tell> ;)

It's research. Every shoe style fits a little differently and every designer fits a little differently. SAs know this and they don't expect a sale on every person they wait on. They get paid whether they're standing there or helping you. Just don't be obnoxious about it and try on a gazillion pairs. If I'm researching, I will avoid asking a SA for help when the store is super busy. This way they won't lose out on a sale because of me. Also, I tend to go back to the stores that I've researched at during their sales. So it all works out. Just say, "Thank you for your help. I'm not 100% sure. I'm going to look around a little more."

I would do it. ESPECIALLY in two instances...1.) a store I dont frequent, because who really cares, you'll never be back or 2.) every once in awhile as long as i dont make it the only reason I go there ie! like if i also bought other shoes but wanted to try on some other more expensive ones from time to time.

I am sure the SA's are not expecting everyone that comes in to actually purchase shoes. I agree with others saying as long as you don't have the SA getting every pair of shoe in the store for you then it should be fine.

It is like buying a car. You intend to buy a car at some point but you have to see what fits you. That may mean going to different dealers.

I almost always try on the display, so maybe I cannot fully understand because I do not have to ask. My SA always ask me to try on new styles even if she knows that I will not buy.

OP, oyy..I know this is bad, but I feel really guilty if an SA is being really helpful and attentive(aka doing their job well) and I don't help them out a little..as in buying anything. Gah..that is probably why I prefer scoping the CL sub-forum, researching sizing and styles here, and then calling a boutique to ask if they have them. >_<. No pressure for me, hehehe.

But to be fair, a lot of people go into stores, try on things but don't purchase anything. I mean, you gotta try things on to know if they feel right, look good etc etc, ^_^.

But when I walk away from a store after asking an SA tons of questions and trying on things and buying nothing, I always ask them for their card. Kind of like establishing a relationship with them..testing the waters to see which SA fits? And who knows? If you would never pay full retail for a pair and if the SA you encountered really liked you, he/she could inform you of when those shoes you wanted go on sale and set aside a pair for you, ^_^.

One good thing about being a 36/36.5 is that almost all the display shoes are that size.

That is nice, isn't it? :smile:

Bottom line is that these are expensive shoes. Some of them cost more than my couch (which was around $2K), and I visited my couch at the store for eight months before I finally pulled the trigger. You'd better believe I sat on the display model during my research visits! :lol: I don't feel any differently about the shoes. It's a big purchase and I need to make sure I get the right fit for me, in all respects.

Sometimes I try and buy and sometimes I try and don't buy. I work with the same SA, so she knows that I only buy what I love and even return sometimes. I prefer to buy from dept stores and don't like sale shoes, because they are rarely styles I really want and are usually stretched out from being tried on so many times. I also have terrible luck with sizing of CL purchases on fleabay, so I rarely if ever buy shoes on fleabay.
As far as just going to try with no intention of ever buying... It happens all the time to SA's. I say go try on and just say you want to think about a few pairs, it's really not a big deal.

That is nice, isn't it? :smile:

Bottom line is that these are expensive shoes. Some of them cost more than my couch (which was around $2K), and I visited my couch at the store for eight months before I finally pulled the trigger. You'd better believe I sat on the display model during my research visits! :lol: I don't feel any differently about the shoes. It's a big purchase and I need to make sure I get the right fit for me, in all respects.

You're so funny!!:yahoo:

Another thing is, I feel more comfortable grabbing the displays & trying them on when I'm with a friend or whatever, rather than when shopping alone...

For me, it depends on the the amount of traffic at the store. If it looks slow, I don't mind bugging the SAs to try things on. Most of the time, I love chatting with them anyway. It doesn't even have to be about the shoes. BUT if they are other customers, I will usually just try the displays. I do not want to take away from the SAs time while they are trying to make a sale.

I had to read all of this thread because I will soon be in the States and I would love to find my size in a few styles but I know it is cheaper to come home and order the shoes from Europe with our exchange rates.

I think if you limit it to a few pairs you are really interested in it is fine. Who knows I might just buy a pair for the rush - though its an expensive rush. To get out of that pressure situation with an SA I always say something like 'thanks alot I'll have a think about it' or 'thanks alot I just want to try a different style elsewhere before I make up my mind' and if they take it well and are friendly I often go back and eventually buy from that SA.

If you don't feel comfortable asking the SA for sizes just try somewhere else. I think another good strategy is to wear a pair of CL's to the store so they know you're not just a tyre-kicker.