Trying new face oils with mixed results.

gillianna

O.G.
Dec 27, 2005
I have been slowly introducing more products into my routine and face oils are one item I am pretty happy about. I have been using Votary face oil for a few weeks mixed in with my The Ordinary moisturizer and feel it is working very well. I have recently bought two Odacite face oils and have about 6 small samples from them and have been rotating using different ones to see how they work on my skin. So far no problems or reactions. I love the smell and the way the oils can be spread over damp skin or with a serum/moisturizer. My face seems very hydrated too. I rotate between Niod and the oils am/pm.

I have been adding more samples and recently got some May Lindstrom products. I have tried her cleansing oil the past two nights removed with a hot flannel washcloth and rinsed my face then applied her Youth Dew serum followed by a moisturizer. Love the results. Woke up with glowing skin. But I find the smell of her cleansing oil to be so overpowering and not in a good way. The Youth Dew serum is Ok and smells much lighter. I also tried the Blue Cocoon and fell in love with it. I have a red mark under my one eye I think due to seasonal allergies and no product has ever helped in the past few weeks. But one night of Blue Cocoon made it almost dissapear. At least the sample I got looks like it will last a few weeks if I just use it on dry spots and redness versus all over my face. I am also hesitant about using a product all over my face that has Shea butter in it because I know it can cause clogs.

I have had great success with The Ordinary products but have now been using items from their Niod range along with a retinoid and their red peeling mask and feel this is enough exfoliating. I only use these each once a week and am happy with the results. In the past I feel I have been over exfoliating my skin with powder cleansers and too many acid products.

While my samples will last for a few weeks I feel the Odacite ones and the one from May Lindstrom are my favorites. After trying the ones from Odacite I will not be repurchasing the one I bought from Votary which I really felt was fantastic and have been using for the past few weeks. But I like how Odacite has different oils that you can use depending on how your skin is that day. And I love how great they all smell.

Wondering about Kypriss oils? How is the smell on them? They might be next on my sample list to buy. I have been ordering samples from The Detox Market and have been very happy with their service.

I also switched my daughter over to a new oil cleanser last week when she was home from college versus all her foaming cleansers, drying acne products and scrubs and in one week her skin has become hydrated and her hormonal acne is pretty much under control. She is using a Niod cleanser and also one from True Botanicals which I bought her with a $20.00 off coupon online. Worth checking out their coupon codes if one is looking for a new oil cleanser. For those who have used Blue Cocoon will this help hormornal acne?

Any thoughts on face oils? How about May Lindstrom products? Odacite too....

Last edited:
Thank you so much for sharing this! I have oily skin and found that oils have made my skin less oily. So far I've only tried Tarte Maracja oil and Josie Maran Argan oil. I like both, but the Maracuja is less greasy and works better for me under makeup. They're also great for hair! I'm not sure if they're too processed to be good for the skin though I like the way they make my skin look! I got some other samples that had perfumes and didn't think that would be good for the face. One of them is Nuxe. It's heavily perfumed; so I'll use it on my body but not face. I'd like to find a good oil face wash. Right now I use the Burts Bees Orange Essence. I love it! It has oil in a thick cream so it's not messy and melts makeup and dirt away without over stripping or drying.

I'm a big fan of the Pai Bioregenerate Rosehip oil (I like all the Pai products though)- I find it has barely any fragrance and always works beautifully under my moisturisers. My skin is so glowy the next morning.I've read and heard really good things about the Kypriss oils.

I use the Bodyshop Camomile Cleansing Oil to take my makeup off (first cleanse) and I'm really impressed with it, it melts everything off and my skin feels so soft and clean after.

Reactions: tealocean
I've tried several oils including Sisley ( Black Rose) as well as UMA..
I'm not a big fan of May Lindstrom but I do like the blue cocoon.
I have found for me serums seem to be hydrating enough for me right now
Odacite has been on my radar as well as Angela Caglia

I used the MAy Lindstrom The Pendulum Poition cleansing oil last night and the smell did not bother me versus the first time I used it. I followed with a Hylamide spray mist and then May Lindstrom Youth Dew and her Blue Cocoon around my eyes and nose which is red from allergies. Woke up with great looking and soft skin.

I bought a new cleansing oil called orange Love Beauty Vitamin B Enzyme Cleansing Oil and I really like it. The smell is wonderful kind of like pineapple and the thickness is nice and it goes on your skin well for a facial massage. So I now will be using this and my Votary since I only have one more use of the May Lindstrom sample. I will probably buy the May Lindstrom one when I am done with the oil cleansers I have. I kind of feel a thicker oil works better for my skin.

I am really liking the Odacite oils. I bought the Black Cumin-Cajeput for blemish spots and feel it does help with the minor blemishes I get every now and then. My daughter said it is helping her hormornal acne. I like their Green tea and Lemongrass one for radiance effect and the smell is very relaxing for me at bedtime. I have 7 samples and some are of their more expensive oils from I believe their private collection and so far I have been liking them all and feel the samples give you a great way to try many different oils.

I also added NIOD Non Acid Precursor to my routine to see how it compares to using The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid. Since I feel I over exfoliated my skin las year and also wonder if the use of acids might have also played a part I am now looking at a more gentle way of care no for my skin. Because of this I have now been exploring more green beauty options.

Another thing I am trying to do is keep things more simple. My routine can change daily depending on my skins needs. I am happy with the NIOD products I bought and feel their Voicemail mask twice a week after oil cleansing is skin maple and keeps my skin hydrated. Their Hydration Vaccine is another product I am really liking. I have been trying to read up on skin care articles versus blogs pushing products and feel it is better to sample things before rushing into spending big money on full size products. I do have more samples coming next week. This winter weather has really made my skin extra dry. I stay hydrated and drink water all day long and eat clean with lots of green smoothies and no dairy, processed food and sugar. But outside weather and indoor forced heat is still going to mess your skin up.