Truths about the TRAPEZE

fandmcarebear

It's in the bag...
O.G.
Feb 3, 2010
After some time spent with my trapeze, I think it important to report my thoughts for anyone considering the bag.....it may change your mind....

Pros first:
Beautiful soft leather
The clasp we all love and know from the box
Two handle choices
Roomie
Unique

Now the cons....
The handle design has really been the worst part. The handle is attached to the thin flap, NOT the body of the bag, so when any form of weight is in the bag, all of it is concentrated on the square clasp which holds the flap in place.....so it PULLs significantly up on the square clasp like it eventually would rip off (maybe an overstatement), it also makes the flap buckle in the middle and pull the flap edges up. This is disappointing. I only had a wallet, phone and makeup case in it and this is what happens.

The other issue is the wing design, again because the handle is on the flap only, when you go to open your bag, nothing is holding onto the base, so it just flaps wide open and u lose control of the bag (ha)... It's really only meant to be open when flat on a surface...

I love the Philo design genius,.....and I still love the trapeze, just think there may be some utility issues that have been overlooked for appearance.....anyone else with a trapeze have thoughts????????

Oh god yes. I wish I could tell them to just ever so slightly redesign the bag - then it would be such an amazing and practical bag. If the strap was attached to the bag itself rather than the flap, pretty much all the problems would be solved: no sagging in the centre due to the weight pulling on the clasp, the bag wouldn't fall open totally as soon as you open the clasp...

Another thing that would be nice would be if there was a bit of reinforcement along the top of the bag, in between the points where the handles and straps join onto the flap. That would also prevent the bag from sagging a bit due to the weight pulling on the clasp.

I've found one solution to minimise sagging is to pack the bag with a very lightweight cardigan. I usually carry a cardigan anyway, so that's fine by me, but it also pushes the bag's shape out a bit so it doesn't bend so much down the centre. I still can't carry a whole heap in the bag without it bending, but I do manage my wallet, phone, small umbrella, keys and sunglasses.

I would also like it if the straps and handle were more solidly attached. I mean, I haven't had a problem yet and maybe I never will, but the way the straps insert vertically into the top of the flap and then carry all the weight of the bag... I'm a tiny bit concerned about how durable that is, and I'm going to keep a keen eye on it. Hopefully there's no need for worry.

The trapeze is such a beautiful bag, but I do have to agree that it loses a fair bit of practicality with its design, and with a few simple changes in the design, that could be avoided completely.

I really love the design of the trapeze bag but I can see the issues you've mentioned REALLY annoying me. Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll just admire from a difference.

Oh god yes. I wish I could tell them to just ever so slightly redesign the bag - then it would be such an amazing and practical bag. If the strap was attached to the bag itself rather than the flap, pretty much all the problems would be solved: no sagging in the centre due to the weight pulling on the clasp, the bag wouldn't fall open totally as soon as you open the clasp...

Another thing that would be nice would be if there was a bit of reinforcement along the top of the bag, in between the points where the handles and straps join onto the flap. That would also prevent the bag from sagging a bit due to the weight pulling on the clasp.

I've found one solution to minimise sagging is to pack the bag with a very lightweight cardigan. I usually carry a cardigan anyway, so that's fine by me, but it also pushes the bag's shape out a bit so it doesn't bend so much down the centre. I still can't carry a whole heap in the bag without it bending, but I do manage my wallet, phone, small umbrella, keys and sunglasses.

I would also like it if the straps and handle were more solidly attached. I mean, I haven't had a problem yet and maybe I never will, but the way the straps insert vertically into the top of the flap and then carry all the weight of the bag... I'm a tiny bit concerned about how durable that is, and I'm going to keep a keen eye on it. Hopefully there's no need for worry.

The trapeze is such a beautiful bag, but I do have to agree that it loses a fair bit of practicality with its design, and with a few simple changes in the design, that could be avoided completely.

Yes exactly!...one little change in design and it would genuinely be the perfect bag....

i think this picture demonstrates really well. i think you should write to celine OP! :biggrin:

L139236631.jpg

i think this picture demonstrates really well. i think you should write to celine OP! :biggrin:

L139236631.jpg

Thank you for posting this picture. This really helps. I never own a trapeze and was not really sure what OP was referring to until I see this. So is this problem the same for both the small and large trapeze? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question because I have not seen them in real life.

Thank you very much.

The reason I have passed on the trapeze is that it reminded me of the problems with the YSL Muse II - the contents sag the bag and you cannot really work the bag when you wear it on your arm. If you have the original Muse II you will know what I'm talking about. You have to lay the bag down on a table or something in order to open /close it and get your stuff out of it or back into it. If you have the long strap for the bag, then it should be easier.

This has the same issue as the PS1s, that's what stopping me from buying it (PS1). I know it would bother me a lot. I really love love the Kelly type design like the Chanel Kellys that are structured & doesn't pull.