Trustworthy Buyer?

pr1nc355

Orange Pyramid
O.G.
May 24, 2006
So I put up a bag on ebay in a fixed auction. This guy sent a best offer that's pretty close to the BIN price, so I end it early to sell to him for $800 ($780 plus $20 for S&H). I sent him an invoice, and he responded by saying that he wanted to pay it, but for some reason that we can't figure out, he can't complete payment w/o sending $30 for S&H, instead of $20 (which is what I charged him). So the ebay invoice asked for $810 total. I sent him another invoice with PayPal, asking for $20 for S&H (for $800 total), and I told him to disregard the first invoice. Then I got an email from PayPal, stating that an unauthorized transaction for $810 was made, and there's a hold on these funds. The guy sent me an email 5 min. later, stating that he accidentally paid 2x, the first time paying $810, the other time paying $800. He really did, so I have the $800 minus fees in my PayPal account, and they're asking me to resolve the issue. The buyer is desperately pleading with me to refund the $810 because of tight funds. I've never had this happen to me before, so I just want to know if anything bad will happen to me because of this "unauthorized" claim, and does the buyer sound suspicious? He has 82 feedback, all positive except for 1 negative, and he's been an ebayer since 1998.

Check your paypal account if he really paid twice, if so refund him one. Sometimes this happens if you don't set up your Paypal account properly and your customers end up paying multiple invoices for the same transaction.

I think the paypal query occured because they noticed two identical payments for the same thing. Its good to know they are protecting people. He sounds keen this buyer, he clicked on pay twice.
I would refund one payment, check he has a confirmed address and it should be fine from there.