Trouble letting go ?

Slowhand

O.G.
Feb 12, 2009
Does anyone suffer from the same problem as me ? Compared to many of you I don't have many bags but in all honesty I have too many of the same type . They suit my casual style but I don't need so many similar ones. I'd love to try some different bags but can't justify buying any more and the obvious thing to do is sell some - but I can't bring myself to do it :rolleyes:
I could write an essay on each of them justifying why I had to buy them and why they have to stay . I so admire those of you will the 'revolving door' policy - it must be so liberating !
Why can't I do it ?

Don't ask me Slow...I'm like you! I only move things on if they were an impulse buy and don't suit me but I think I am just basically a collector/hoarder..when I'm an old lady I bet I'll be surrounded by boxes of random things, cats and lots of shoes and handbags..... :nuts:

I think you have hit on something there Kaybee - as I very rarely act on impulse and I ' consider' ever purchase very carefully after loads of research only buying at the right price and the right bag for me blah blah. The exception being Oak Bays which came about late one evening following on from world class enabling :graucho: and half a bottle of wine !
Maybe I should throw caution to the wind a bit more and stop being so boring and predictable.

I don't know Slow, I've always wanted a capsule collection of say 7 bags but I've completely blown it! I'd love to be able to cut down again but I'm struggling - I'm even having second thoughts today about one I thought I'd decided to move on aaarrrrgh!!

This is something I have been thinking about recently Slowhand.
My first Mulberry was a big purchase for me and I had wanted to buy one for years. Eventually I gave in to myself!
After that first buy I rapidly bought more! I thought that I had thought carefully about each purchase and that I was buying bags that I wanted to use and not because I was just starting a collection.
But I haven't always bought as carefully as I thought (and found some bags were sitting in the wardrobe) and recently I decided to move on some bags to fund one new one because I thought I wanted an Edie. Anyway another opportunity came along at the right time and I did decide to move on three bags. I didn't allow sentimentality to come into at all tbh. I wasn't sad at moving some on - I was excited about the new one!
When I first bought Mulberry I never thought I would move bags on - I thought they would stay with me forever but I've found my affection can be fickle and transient!!! Lol.

I think I'm a bit like u slow... I only tend to sell when I desperately fall in love with a new bag and use the funds toward it.

I think when you've thought something over so much and justified the buy, for me it's hard to make the case for it to go!

I still have not managed to move any bags on despite not using them all. Actually thought about it today and decided to wait until spring and then decide what will stay and what will go. There are a couple of non-M bags I am interested in but will wait to get them until I go abroad (for better price, better selection) and am trying to be really good until then - and if I wait to sell my bags I won't be tempted to use the money I have collected! Or maybe that is just an excuse for not getting around to doing it.

Lola, what bags have you moved on?

^ good post Tiggernic! :goodpost:

The big step for me this year has been to stop total impulse buys (believe it or not, those of you who've seen me in action at meets!) - I've managed to amass quite a few Mulberries, but I simply can't afford to buy what I fancy - yes when it cost £40, but not £400! Therefore, each purchase has been more considered and will be harder to move on. I have a love/hate thing going on with the first Mulberry I bought, but can't quite bring myself to take that step... yet! (perhaps.....)

Black Mabel Hobo, Oak Roxanne and Rio Rosie. I have realised that I'm not an Oaky person. I just don't have the right clothes. Black Mabel had to go because the replacement bag is black and I was trying to be sort of sensible! No regrets so far!

^ good post Tiggernic! :goodpost:

The big step for me this year has been to stop total impulse buys (believe it or not, those of you who've seen me in action at meets!) - I've managed to amass quite a few Mulberries, but I simply can't afford to buy what I fancy - yes when it cost £40, but not £400! Therefore, each purchase has been more considered and will be harder to move on. I have a love/hate thing going on with the first Mulberry I bought, but can't quite bring myself to take that step... yet! (perhaps.....)

How intriguing - I need to know what it is :nuts:

lol i dont have any trouble letting bags go! lol
but i think thats because i impulse buy a lot!
however i do suffer from regret a lot!

i think if you find a certain style you love then stick to it theres nothing wrong with that.
i tend to try lots of new styles and to be honest i dont think you know what suits you and whats comfortable until you tried that bag!

I used to be a hoarder of bags too, but I cut them all down when I realised how many I had. Now, when I get a new one guilt kicks in and I reappraise what I have to see what's not being used or doesn't suit me as well.

I had never really thought about letting bags go until I started reading this forum. Some people are amazing at moving bags on (Corries & DD to mention a few;)), I find it really inspiring to read about it here.
But I guess if I have hardly used a bag in 7 or so years I am very unlikely to start doing so, despite it being amazing leather and a classic design. Need to get a grip :biggrin:.

i think i suffer from guilt sometimes to!

Yes, that's when I get rid of something in haste and have regrets. However, I have found that if I can bring myself to photograph the bag with a view to rehoming then I am not likely to regret it. I can/am more impulsive as these lovely bags seem to hold their value. And I agree, a bag needs to be tried -didn't think I'd love the Leah shoulder as much as I do, though I had admired it in the shops.