Travel Trips That You Planned But Didn't Go On and Why

boxermom

O.G.
Aug 26, 2006
This may not be of interest to anyone else, but I was thinking about the places I planned to see (made reservations)but life intervened and I didn't go.

Cape Cod--back surgery cancelled this one.
Asheville, NC at Christmas--another surgery, heart.
Australia/New Zealand--always a dream of mine but couldn't bring myself to spend that much money.
Boston--scheduled a few days after 9/11; everything shut down and my sister and I never rescheduled.

I can relate to this one! I was due to travel for 6 weeks across the Far East and Australia as part of my undergraduate studies and spent over a year planning the trip. Only to get to the airport, ready to check in and while we were standing in the queue at the check in desk, the airline staff all got up and walked out on strike! All flights were cancelled and because the trip had been scheduled around university holidays they could not reschedule us to make the trip before term started again! So I never made it, and since then many more years of studying and work now means getting that much time off in one spell is nigh on impossible. Maybe I'll make it one day!

Reactions: bellebellebelle19
I can relate to this one! I was due to travel for 6 weeks across the Far East and Australia as part of my undergraduate studies and spent over a year planning the trip. Only to get to the airport, ready to check in and while we were standing in the queue at the check in desk, the airline staff all got up and walked out on strike! All flights were cancelled and because the trip had been scheduled around university holidays they could not reschedule us to make the trip before term started again! So I never made it, and since then many more years of studying and work now means getting that much time off in one spell is nigh on impossible. Maybe I'll make it one day!

I would be so upset and frustrated! I hope you do make it there someday.

Reactions: rakhee81
I had a trip to Hawaii planned in 2013 but we ended up buying our dream home. When we planned to go, we had gutted the kitchen to the studs. I couldn't leave that situation. So we gave the condo reservation in Maui to some friends.

I had a trip to Hawaii planned in 2013 but we ended up buying our dream home. When we planned to go, we had gutted the kitchen to the studs. I couldn't leave that situation. So we gave the condo reservation in Maui to some friends.

It would take something major like that for me to miss a trip to Maui, my most favorite island

Was supposed to go to Japan, but got very sick the day of my flight. I was torn up because I've never traveled East Asia before. Plus, Japan has the best selection of handbag brands more than what we have in the USA and probably on par with France and Italy. Every time I discover a smaller brand, they're always available in Europe of Japan haha!

^^^wow, any of those are sad.

luvprada, I had a scare recently, but thankfully the biopsy was negative. Hugs to you. (In my head I was already planning a limited future. My mind goes to the worst scenario)

Amalfi Coast in 2014 had everything planned and reserved including flights but decided on Plastic Surgery instead, everything was refundable.
Amalfi Coast 2015 had reservations in the hotels but I had to cancel since I started a new job.
But I am going in three weeks so I am super excited! It's a dream to swim in Capri and Positano.

Egypt a few years back. The company cancelled all tours due to civil unrest at the time. We went to Europe instead. We still haven't rebooked but want to go in the near future.
We also had plans to go to Turkey but also had to cancel due to civil unrest. Fortunately we had not booked the trip yet.

Last edited:
Amalfi Coast in 2014 had everything planned and reserved including flights but decided on Plastic Surgery instead, everything was refundable.
Amalfi Coast 2015 had reservations in the hotels but I had to cancel since I started a new job.
But I am going in three weeks so I am super excited! It's a dream to swim in Capri and Positano.

One of the most beautiful places I've ever visited. Capri is magical.