Home & Garden Tricks to improve the garden?

LucyHM

Jul 5, 2019
Hello, I would like to make a thread with tricks to improve the garden. I start with a couple of tricks that I read in a gardening blog (www.jardineamos.es):

Trick 1. Visually enlarge with divisions.
In order for a garden to appear larger than it is, it creates divisions within it by installing hedges such as this one, privet, bushes, etc., so that the sensation of hidden or unexplored areas is created. You can also plan a central path that narrows to the end and plant progressively lower trees, or place flowers of light colors or pastel at the bottom of a massif.

Trick 2. Scent a path with aromatics.
Walking through the garden can be much more pleasant if you add perfume, such as the rosemary in the photo, to the transit areas. To create a fragrant effect you can line up low shrubs of aromatic leaves, such as lavender, thyme, rosemary or santolina, along a path. Thus, when passing, if you brush or crush the foliage, it will provide a delicious aroma.

Who's next? All contributions will be well received ;)

Hello, I would like to make a thread with tricks to improve the garden. I start with a couple of tricks that I read in a gardening blog (www.jardineamos.es):

Trick 1. Visually enlarge with divisions.
In order for a garden to appear larger than it is, it creates divisions within it by installing hedges such as this one, privet, bushes, etc., so that the sensation of hidden or unexplored areas is created. You can also plan a central path that narrows to the end and plant progressively lower trees, or place flowers of light colors or pastel at the bottom of a massif.

Trick 2. Scent a path with aromatics.
Walking through the garden can be much more pleasant if you add perfume, such as the rosemary in the photo, to the transit areas. To create a fragrant effect you can line up low shrubs of aromatic leaves, such as lavender, thyme, rosemary or santolina, along a path. Thus, when passing, if you brush or crush the foliage, it will provide a delicious aroma.

Who's next? All contributions will be well received ;)

I do this, they are both great tips. I have a patio surrounded by pots, window boxes and troughs, in this area I have a Jasmine which smells amazing and perfumes the back of the house too. Then a lavender garden with a large wooden bench flanked by 6 lavender bushes and high hanging baskets, this is where I air my sheets taking in the lavender scent. Then I have a lawned area with borders of rose bushes, apple and pair trees as well as other bushes. The roses smell wonderful.

My tip is to think about the plant's future growth patterns. I grow rhododendron, jasmine and passion fruit and fir trees in pots and not in the ground. Rhododendron will spoil the earth for anything that may follow and can be quite invasive. Jasmine and passion fruit can grow like crazy and can take over. The fir trees are in pots so they can't grow too tall.

• Love
Reactions: Christofle
I love your ideas! I want to add to the second trick tho Not only can you create an eye-catching look of your garden, but also the smell can be marvellous by planting some roses. F.e. knockout roses are one of my favs! They will look so good in every garden, no lies! But I experienced some problems in the beginning. Usually, the buds are open and they bloom, but one day it seemed like smth went wrong. They started to wilt and tbh I was so nervous about it!! But then I tried adding a fertilizer to the soil and was pleasantly surprised, as it really worked! I tried the one from https://www.growgardener.com/the-5-best-fertilizers-for-beautiful-knockout-roses/, so if you're facing a similar problem I hope this helps.

• Love
Reactions: Christofle