Tretinoin/Retin-A users

Mar 15, 2008
My derm gave me 0.01% strength tretinoin to use every other night.

I applied a thin layer twice so far and she states it might burn, and peel and depending on how my skin reacts she will gradually move me up to the stronger concentrations.

I didn't have any burning at all, but now I have some slight peeling (looks like dry skin) on my chin. I've been dealing with adult onset acne around my chin. Actually hoping this clears it up!

Have any of you used tretinoin with success? How long does the peeling last? What are your recommendations for skincare while using Retin-A/tretinoin?

My derm gave me 0.01% strength tretinoin to use every other night.

I applied a thin layer twice so far and she states it might burn, and peel and depending on how my skin reacts she will gradually move me up to the stronger concentrations.

I didn't have any burning at all, but now I have some slight peeling (looks like dry skin) on my chin. I've been dealing with adult onset acne around my chin. Actually hoping this clears it up!

Have any of you used tretinoin with success? How long does the peeling last? What are your recommendations for skincare while using Retin-A/tretinoin?

http://forum.purseblog.com/the-beauty-bar/retin-a-is-craaaaazy-peeling-redness-solutions-742045.html

Just make sure to wait at least an hour after cleansing ur face before applying the retin-A. I stopped my retin A years ago because I was so sensitive to the sun. I got salicylic acid instead.

I have used it for years! I don't wait an hour after cleansing either. The peeling will last until your skin gets used to it, could be a week or so, just keep on with it. Be sure to moisturize, that's the key! If you stop using it because of the peeling your skin will just have to acclimate to it again, and over and over

I've been using it on and off for years and I love it. Definitely notice a difference with use. As others mentioned, moisturize a lot. Normally I apply the Retin/A as the last step of my skincare routine in the evening. In the morning I use a heavy moisturizer and a separate SPF fluid.

I Love it but i try to skip it during the summer months..
I am using it for around four years now but i never use it constantly. Sometimes i apply it three times a week and sometimes just once a week.
The peeling was horrible in the beginning but after like a week or maby max two it wil stop.
When i don't use it for a while the peeling starts again, i think thats a good sign ( the stuff still works)
I am 30 and nobody thinks i am that age... i think that it is a great addition to your skincare.

I'll use it forever! I used it for a sudden bout of acne I had years ago and that's when I discovered that it also has anti-age benefits. I'm 30 so the anti-age benefits might not be evident but it has improved my skin texture and I "feel" my skin has improved it's thickness. I have to stop using it though during summer and it sucks since when I restart, I have to go through those peeling and redness all over again

RetinA was too strong for me so I went to an alternative: rosehip oil (100% cold pressed pure oil)..just a few drops after serum... very moisturizing and pure vitamin A

Normally you see results in the 8th week onwards if you use it daily.
Skin care can be very gentle like a Mild Cleanser like Johnson's aPurpose
Cetaphil Moisturizer SPF in day time.
Your skin care feel pretty raw initially so keep skincare simple until you are able to tolerate it better.

Start every other day, but if you're peeling or have sensitive skin (like me), start slow. There is nothing wrong with using it once a week, then try every 3-4 days, then move up to every other day, then graduate up to daily.

Retinoids have been successful for MANY people. Look for moisturizers containing niacinamide, they help you tolerate retinoids and even make it more effective.

Since your skin will be more vulnerable to sun damage after using Retin-A, be sure to consistently apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen, e.g. La Roche Posay (with Mexoryl), Elta MD, SkinCeuticals, or the cheap physical blocks (which will make you look like a ghost, but hey, better than getting wrinkles!). Ideally I'd go with something that keeps your skin moist since Retin-A can dry you out. Also, and this is tied to sun protection, be sure to apply the Retin-A at night since your skin will be more sun-sensitive in the hours immediately after application. Good luck! :smile: