Trendy jewelry fads - i.e. midi rings, ear cuffs

Nov 30, 2008
I keep my clothing pretty classic, with the exception of things like jean styles, etc. but I like to use jewelry and accessories to play with an add interest to my outfits.

One thing I've started to enjoy lately are trendy jewelry fads, in addition to my normal classic pieces like dbty necklace, solitaire earrings, etc. The 2 that I've started to play with are midi rings and ear cuffs. The pics attached are not mine, but just ones that I've found online to give examples. I currently have a diamond (cz) ear cuff and a plain silver one that I wear next to each other, and for midi rings, I have a plain silver chevron and a few plain silver ones to play with. I'll have to take pics next time I get them out as I don't wear them all the time.

Has anyone else gotten into these sorts of things? Any pics or styles you care to share? What about any other trendy styles of jewelry?

Attachments

• cf5b728c988130fd284f61506276d766.jpg
    cf5b728c988130fd284f61506276d766.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 978
  • 6fad06329ba8ee1876cea7d1c00bd9f0.jpg
    6fad06329ba8ee1876cea7d1c00bd9f0.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 755
  • 54ec12855fd843525d31cbe350651931.jpg
    54ec12855fd843525d31cbe350651931.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 764
I'm the same, I like to mix fun but good quality costume jewelry in with my stuff. I wasn't impressed with jewel mint and those type of brands because the base metal and the leather shows wear but I am impressed by bauble bar and I really want some j crew necklaces (sale price though!)

Like Swanky, I generally choose nice costume when I want to indulge in trends. I think they can be fun, but many aren't worth really investing in.

However, I think we need to keep in mind that there are fine jewelry trends, too, and MANY people engage in those. Because they are fine jewelry, many people don't think they are trends, but they are. There's nothing wrong with that, of course; the only thing that matters is that the owner thinks they are beautiful and enjoys them. But Journey pendants, three stone ring/pendants, diamond circle pendants, keys, very thick yellow gold rings, various diamond cuts and metal colours and styles of surrounding or side stones have all been trends in fine jewelry or diamond rings.

So I guess I think that most people to fall prey to jewelry trends now and then, and I think that's a good thing. It keeps things different, changing and fun.

Love all these pics!

I have an ear cuff (Anita Ko rose gold ear cuff) and single arrow earring.

They are trendy but I also consider them to be fine jewellery as they are 18K gold and the arrow earring has diamonds. I love that both earrings create a big statement when worn together and when worn seperately, they add a special 'edge' to my mainly plain wardrobe of neutral colours.

You know what's funny? Lately I've been loving and wearing pendants of my mother's that were 70's trends--a diamond solitaire in a buttercup setting; a gold nugget pendant; a black hills gold piece. I love their retro-ness. So hold on to those trend pieces--in addition to your loving them, someday your daughters (if you have them) will want them because they were trends!

When I was in my teens I was way more excited about these kinds of things. Novelty earrings and ear cuffs (which seem to have made a comeback this season) and whatnot. I've kept a couple of things but because of my workplace, I try to keep things as professional as possible and don't wear much more than silver studs (although my other coworkers dress more casually) or more simple ring designs. I think it's fun though!

Are midi rings uncomfortable? I feel like I wouldn't be able to get used to the feeling. Sort of like toe rings!