Trench/gabardine question

ylime

O.G.
Jun 8, 2007
I purchased a New Forest trench from the outlets this weekend, but am questioning the material. The SA said it was gabardine (tag reads 100% cotton), but the material is noticeably softer than the other trenches in the store that is definitely gabardine. It feels like regular cotton, instead of the heavier stiffer feel that gabardine has.

I'm not familiar enough with burberry to know the materials. Does anyone know if it's possible for gabardine to be softer? Or if anybody actually owns the New Forest, can you chime in on the feel of the material?

Thanks!

So I looked on the website and all the gabardine trench coats have 100% cotton on the tag, but then again the sateen trench coats also have 100% cotton too.

Do you still have your tags? That's the easiest way to get the SKU code. If you don't have your tags anymore you can call the store and ask them to look it up for you. They might have some other Westland trenches lying around, or they could probably look up your purchase on the computer and get you the SKU that way.

With the SKU you can just google Westland SKU #, and you might get results from Saks/Bergdorfs/Nordstroms/Bloomingdale's etc... Or you can just chat with one of the reps on burberry.com.

Hi,

Gabardine is a type of weave that Burberry generally makes in cotton. The fabric is characterized by "ridges" when inspecting it from close distance. Gabardine is water repellent, so you can try sprinkling a few drops of water over the garment and see if the drops stay on the surface of the material.

Some Burberry coats are intentionally lightweight or are coated which may contribute to the weight of the fabric.

I tried that coat on before and the SA told me it was gabardine.
I ended up buying the Kensington instead but the material felt exactly the same and that is also 100% gabardine cotton. Hope that helps.

I bought my New Forest trench from the burberry boutique in beverly hills about 3 years ago, and at the time the SA told me that the company way about to change the quality of the gabardine and that it was good to buy asap. Maybe that difference is what you're feeling?