Trench coat dilemma

ashi112211

shoptillyoudrop
May 1, 2009
So I've been trying to find a good trench coat for a long time. I always wanted one with a hood that has Burberry check piping. Also, I've been buying Burberry bags for long but never owned a trench. Working in NYC means, having a good trench is a must.

Long story short, I found a Trench coat on Ebay which I liked. It's black, has a hood ,in NWOT condition and was in my budget ($560). So I bought the coat. (Big thanks to Terite for authenticating it ) I received it and everything looks fine. The style is MArystow. Out of curiosity, I started comparing my coat with others and realized that my coat has been customized which seller never mentioned. Looks like it's been customized by Burberry store itself . Here are some customization which has been done on the coat:

1) The flap at the back of the coat is stitched so that it doesn't come out like a cape. I'd have done the same customization myself as I like having a button at the flap.

2) The hood's piping is of different color than inside lining. Hood piping is black/Brown/White while inside lining is Black/White. Hood is removable and is attached with Burberry buttons so I'm guessing it's been done at the Burberry store itself. Even the stitching in (1) is very professional as well.

Here are the pics in case you're interested: https://www.flickr.com/photos/46816389@N06/

I contacted the seller and she's like I'm selling for my friend and that's how she got it. She's not sure about the customization and is not willing to give me any refund or return. I contacted Ebay and they asked me to return it.

Still, I'm not sure if I should return it or not, I do like the coat but if I'm not getting a good deal (not sure $560 is a good price or not), I don't see a point in keeping it. Just wondering what you'd have done if you were at my place. I'm kind of confused right now.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks :smile:

Last edited:
So I've been trying to find a good trench coat for a long time. I always wanted one with a hood that has Burberry check piping. Also, I've been buying Burberry bags for long but never owned a trench. Working in NYC means, having a good trench is a must.

Long story short, I found a Trench coat on Ebay which I liked. It's black, has a hood ,in NWOT condition and was in my budget ($560). So I bought the coat. (Big thanks to Terite for authenticating it ) I received it and everything looks fine. The style is MArystow. Out of curiosity, I started comparing my coat with others and realized that my coat has been customized which seller never mentioned. Looks like it's been customized by Burberry store itself . Here are some customization which has been done on the coat:

1) The flap at the back of the coat is stitched so that it doesn't come out like a cape. I'd have done the same customization myself as I like having a button at the flap.

2) The hood's piping is of different color than inside lining. Hood piping is black/Brown/White while inside lining is Black/White. Hood is removable and is attached with Burberry buttons so I'm guessing it's been done at the Burberry store itself. Even the stitching in (1) is very professional as well.

Here are the pics in case you're interested: https://www.flickr.com/photos/46816389@N06/

I contacted the seller and she's like I'm selling for my friend and that's how she got it. She's not sure about the customization and is not willing to give me any refund or return. I contacted Ebay and they asked me to return it.

Still, I'm not sure if I should return it or not, I do like the coat but if I'm not getting a good deal (not sure $560 is a good price or not), I don't see a point in keeping it. Just wondering what you'd have done if you were at my place. I'm kind of confused right now.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks :smile:

Hi! If you're not 100% satisfied with it then you won't like it very much but i believe you got a very good deal and customized trenches tend to be more costly and unique. For 560, and NWOT, i would keep the coat for sure unless there is something that i really hate. Hope that helps!

Gorgeous coat, but I understand your frustration. Seller should have disclosed the customizations. Maybe you would have purchased it anyway, but it would have been good to know beforehand what you were getting. Is that the problem (the nondisclosure aspect), or are you having doubts about the coat itself?

If the latter, then definitely return when/if in any doubt. If the former, argh, it's a dilemma. She should at least offer you a partial refund for the coat not being exactly as described, and maybe might be more willing to do so if you play the negative review card which I think would be fully warranted in this case.

Hi! If you're not 100% satisfied with it then you won't like it very much but i believe you got a very good deal and customized trenches tend to be more costly and unique. For 560, and NWOT, i would keep the coat for sure unless there is something that i really hate. Hope that helps!

Thank ujili. Good to know it's a good deal and thanks for letting me know customized coats are more expensive. I never knew about it.. There's nothing I hate about this coat so I'll probably keep it. Also, seller offered me $60 refund so maybe I can live with it. :smile:

Gorgeous coat, but I understand your frustration. Seller should have disclosed the customizations. Maybe you would have purchased it anyway, but it would have been good to know beforehand what you were getting. Is that the problem (the nondisclosure aspect), or are you having doubts about the coat itself?

If the latter, then definitely return when/if in any doubt. If the former, argh, it's a dilemma. She should at least offer you a partial refund for the coat not being exactly as described, and maybe might be more willing to do so if you play the negative review card which I think would be fully warranted in this case.

You're absolutely right, it's the non-disclosure which is bothering me. I'd have kept the coat either ways but it would have been better if the seller was honest.I did play the negative feedback (thanks for the wonderful advice) card and she's willing to refund $60 so looks like $500 is not a bad deal, specially when I really wanted a hooded coat with piping. :smile:

Thanks again to both of you for your help. :smile:

Yay, so glad it worked out. The coat is beautiful, enjoy and good health!!! (Lol is that even a phrase? My tired brain is now questioning it. You know what I mean though).

Yay, so glad it worked out. The coat is beautiful, enjoy and good health!!! (Lol is that even a phrase? My tired brain is now questioning it. You know what I mean though).

Thanks hon for all your help. I totally get it what you mean :smile: . Thanks again, so excited for my new coat, it fits well and love all the details. My first Burberry trench Yayyyyy !

Thank ujili. Good to know it's a good deal and thanks for letting me know customized coats are more expensive. I never knew about it.. There's nothing I hate about this coat so I'll probably keep it. Also, seller offered me $60 refund so maybe I can live with it. :smile:

You're absolutely right, it's the non-disclosure which is bothering me. I'd have kept the coat either ways but it would have been better if the seller was honest.I did play the negative feedback (thanks for the wonderful advice) card and she's willing to refund $60 so looks like $500 is not a bad deal, specially when I really wanted a hooded coat with piping. :smile:

Thanks again to both of you for your help. :smile:

Welcome! Great that she offered you a $60 dollar refund! Your coat will be unique!:smile:

I agree that the non-disclosure is very annoying, but it's a lovely trench and it looks like you got yourself a bargain; congrats! :biggrin:

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum

Welcome! Great that she offered you a $60 dollar refund! Your coat will be unique!:smile:

Thanks, I'm really very excited for my new trench. Wore it to work today and everyone is like, what a great coat. I'm a very happy girl :smile:

I agree that the non-disclosure is very annoying, but it's a lovely trench and it looks like you got yourself a bargain; congrats! :biggrin:

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum

Thanks so much, it's my first Burberry trench, so wasn't sure about the price. Thanks to the wonderful girls of this forum who helped me to decide. :smile: