Trench coat and fabric protection

FleurDeLis

Hermes Convert
O.G.
Sep 13, 2006
Quick qestion for you guys:

Dh and I just got back from a LV where he bought me a gorgeous trenchcoat. It looks like ivory Mini Lin fabric. Due to the color, I want to have the material protected. The manager said that some dry cleaners can do this for you and I just wanted to know if anyone has ever had this done?

Any and all suggestions are welcome

They had one in the store that fit but I wanted one size larger so I can wear heavier clothes under it so it is being shipped to me next week, but i would love to share pics when it arrives

^^ I can't wait to see it FeurDeLis! Just to be safe, I'd call your LV store and ask them if there's a dry cleaner they would highly recommend that can apply fabric protection for you.

I would just opt to not to have it treated. My first job was as a receptionist at a dry cleaning shop. The chemicals that they use to put stain/water repellant coating on clothing is very strong and could cause the material to weaken which would in turn make it pill and snag more easily. Also, if the material is a light color sometimes the material will discolor (either fade faster or turn yellow) overtime. If you absolutely have to get the trench treated, have the dry cleaners test out an area that is hidden (like the bottom hem) to make sure that nothing bad happens.

Wow thanks euroaddict!!!! I think I will follow your advice and use it untreated and see how it goes. If I feel that it needs to be treated later.... I will do much investigation before taking the next step.

I will start a thread with pics when i get my jacket in

I've also heard from a dry cleaning employee that if a trench coat had a water-resistance treatment applied to it, that treatment would end up being removed during the next dry cleaning. I suppose a treatment could prevent a serious stain, but it would have to be repeated to retain stain resistance.

Sounds like a gorgeous coat! I can't wait to see the photos.

^^ For what it's worth, your post got me thinking about my own trench coat (mine's Burberry). I called Burberry CS and they told me similar information, that even if a coat is water-repellent, it should be retreated periodically. I don't know if you're in the US, but she gave me a recommendation for a place that ships nationally. I think it's in New York, Hallak, (212)832-0750.

Alternatively, she advised me to contact my local Burberry to ask if they had a local recommendation to make (like LVKeepallFan's suggested with your local LV). Now that I think of it, there is a place that my local Hermes recommended to me for scarf care. They do a great job, so I might take my coat there if my local Burberry has no specific recommendation.

EDITED to add: I just called my local Burberry, and they told me that my trench coat shouldn't need treatment for years, depending on how often it's worn, because my coat's threads are themselves water-resistant (meaning that it's not a coating that would wear out). If your LV coat is made in a similar way, maybe you won't need to treat it.

Last edited: