Travelling with Birkin...

Princess D

O.G.
Jun 12, 2006
I'm heading off to Tokyo in 3 weeks and am considering what bag to take with me. This trip is not only sightseeing and shopping but we're going to have our "belated" wedding ceremony and photo shooting in Yamanashiken. (We got married last year but haven't done the whole ceremony thing yet) So that would mean Miss Birkin sitting alone in the hotel room during the ceremony and the photoshoot. Do you think it'll be safe for her this way? Should I carry my BJ birkin on the trip? Am not sure how BJ hold up to stains as I don't really use mine very often - which is the exact reason why I wanna take it to Japan - there, I do not have to worry about "jealous" or "judgemental" colleagues (reason why I can't use it at work) We'll be there for 10 days, which means it goes everywhere with me, from the fish market to small noodle shops, and it'll have to sit on the floor of the plane. Or, should I just take one of my Balenciagas or Chanels, which are lighter and which I do not really care if it's stained or what?

Agree that Tokyo is a really safe city. I love it!

You shouldn't have a problem with your Birkin, just keep an eye on it as you would in any other place/city. If you're anal about putting the bag under the seat of the plane, maybe put it inside the dustbag or a thin bag big enough to avoid dirt and in case somebody accidentally kicks it. As for tightly spaced restaurants with no extra seats and space at the back of your seat, you can also put the Birkin on top of your feet, this way, you can always feel it.

Last edited:
Tokyo is really safe and it shouldn't be a problem and you'll get to see many Birkin lovers around too!

During the shoot you can keep it in your suitcase and not make up the room but honestly, it shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe you can bring a Balenciaga along to switch it up as well. Have fun with your BJ Birkin! :biggrin:

Make sure your B is stored safely in the hotel room during your bridal photoshoot and wedding ceremony.

Or is it possible that you bring along your B and asked your wedding planner or the assistant helping you with your makeup and gown to hold it for you while you're taking the photos? I believed you're not just going alone with your DH but with your photographer and wedding planner too for the photoshoot?:yes:

Princess D, congratulations for having a memorable ceremony and photoshoot in Yamanashi ken. Your photos will turn out beautiful!!

Looks like there's quite a bit of commuting. Why not take your birkin and pack a soft shoulder or messenger bag as an alternative? You can use your birkin for short city strolls and use the shoulder bag for serious shopping trips or to the fish market or ramen stops.

Your birkin may not fit into the hotel room safe but you can keep it locked in your suitcase. What size BJ is yours anyways?

If the only thing you're worried about is leaving it in the hotel room unattended, as long as you lock it up in a suitcase I think it should be fine - so bring your BJ along!

On the other hand, if you are more used to the shoulder bag-style of Bals and Chanels, carrying a hand-held tote like a Birkin may get uncomfortable for you after a while during shopping/sightseeing. This is the #1 reason why I personally would not carry my Birkin whilst on holiday. I get lazy after a while!

I can't tell you what to do, but what I do is bring a Birkin and I pack a messenger bag and lock up birkin in suitcase when I change bags.

I always take my Birkin on the plane. Other people use a Longchamp nylon bag to put the Birkin in to protect it. I never did but now I do as I like having that extra bag with the zipper for easy closing. I forgot the name of the Longchamp bag, but it's not expensive, nylong, folds up too so good for extra shopping

Thanks everyone. I think I'll take the Birkin and pack a Balenciaga Day if I wanna be handsfree. My BJ is a 35 so it might be difficult when we're in sushi places as it's difficult to keep it on my lap. With other cafes, it should be fine coz they always have a little basket under the table for handbags. Still worried about its safety during the photoshoot and the ceremoy though... I know I'm too paranoid....

Thanks everyone. I think I'll take the Birkin and pack a Balenciaga Day if I wanna be handsfree. My BJ is a 35 so it might be difficult when we're in sushi places as it's difficult to keep it on my lap. With other cafes, it should be fine coz they always have a little basket under the table for handbags. Still worried about its safety during the photoshoot and the ceremoy though... I know I'm too paranoid....

If you think you will worry too much about the bag during the photoshoot and times when it will not be with you, then maybe it's better to leave the bag at home. Having the safety of the bag on the back of your mind constantly is not a good way to be enjoying the fun offerings Tokyo has, IMO. :smile:

If you think you will worry too much about the bag during the photoshoot and times when it will not be with you, then maybe it's better to leave the bag at home. Having the safety of the bag on the back of your mind constantly is not a good way to be enjoying the fun offerings Tokyo has, IMO. :smile:

I was about to type that!

If worrying about your bag is going to detract from the occasion, than it's not worth it to bring it along. The ceremony and photoshoot especially should be memorable experiences, you should be happy and stress-free. :smile:

When I travel on plane, I usually bring along a foldable lightweight bag (or just a dust bag) and put my handbag into it on the plane. That way I don't have to worry about it being on the floor or being kicked at by accident. It feels fabulous to walk around the city with a birkin, especially when you don't use it very often at work. But it will be heavy, very heavy when you are tired. I agree with the others that you may want to bring another messenger bag as well on the day where you do not want to carry your birkin. I believe keeping it locked in suitcase in the hotel room should be ok in general. I do the same thing with valuable items (of course I only refer to those hotels that are reputably safe).