Travel Travelling with a toddler to Shanghai :)

mishaagui

O.G.
Jan 3, 2007
Hi Everyone!
Will be going to Shanghai mid October with my DH & my 3 yr old son.
Although it's 7 months from now, i already want to start planning for our trip.
Any tips on where to stay at & what places to visit. What sort of clothing should i bring?

Hope to hear from you all.
TIA!:heart::smile::heart:

Hi

Bear in mind it could be a bit cold for u in mid October if you come from the tropics. So make sure to wrap up little one well. If your tod is still drinking formula milk, be sure to bring enough along as you may not get the brand that you want here. In any case, it will be more expensive if it's imported.

The humidity level is lower here as compared to say S'pore or M'sia so bring moisturiser or get from Watson's when you get here. It can really dry out your skin with indoor AC.

I'm not sure if you are coming on a package? Hotels could be expensive till end Oct due to the Expo which happens from 1 May till 31 Oct. Shanghai city is largely divided into 2 parts, the east (Pudong) and west(Puxi). If you can, stay on the west side as there's where most of the action is.

Frankly there's not much to amuse a 3yr old here in Shanghai. Perhaps u could try for an overnight stay in Hangzhou or Suzhou. How many days will u be here?

You can get cheap children's clothing in Shanghai but in Oct you get mostly fall/winter stuff.

Yay I am going to Shanghai too at the end of the month!

I don't know what there is to see there either besides Nanjing Street. I am going to go do some googling now lol.

JAN

well if u r in Shanghai, the Bund (west side of the Huangpu River) is a must-see. Romantic at night. Day time could be crowded as it just re-opened after extensive works.

There are also upscale restaurants that you can try in the Bund vicinity, such as M on the Bund (u can also try Glamour Bar while u r there), Jean Georges, Mr. & Mrs. Bund etc.

If you have children, there is an outlet-like underground mall for children's apparel and shoes at cheap prices. It is called Neon Plaza (Nihong Guang Chang).

If you are looking to buy designer stuff, give it a miss cos imported stuff are very expensive here. The only things I would buy are bags that are out of stock elsewhere or if there is a sale (change season).

Some people like to tailor make clothes in Shanghai. Best to bring along a sample if u plan to do that. I think it can be ready in a day or two.

If u r very adventurous and love cheap clothing, there is a market at Qipu Lu (Qipu Rd) that sells v cheap casual clothes.

30 Apr has just been designated a public holiday due to the Expo so expect crowds wherever u go! Beware of pickpockets when u r at Nanjing Rd! There is Nanjing West Rd and Nanjing East Rd. West is where the high-end malls are at (plaza 66 notably). East is a pedestrian street which leads to the Bund. Nothing to buy at NJ East Street unless u want to buy some local food stuff (Shanghai First Food Store being the landmark there).

This could be a good source for restaurant/bar listings.

http://www.cityweekend.com.cn/shanghai

WOW! Thanks SOOO much for that info! I have definitely made note of your recommendations and it will help greatly when I'm there in a few weeks.

I saw pictures of the Bund and it is absolutely beautiful, especially in the night. I am going with a tour and will only be there for 2 days. We are going on a boat ride at night on the Huangpu River. My sister and I are very adventurous and if/when the tour gives us a bit of free time to wander, we're definitely going to check out the market at Qipu Lu! I love cheap clothes hahaha. We're also going to the Expo too. I don't know what to expect there to be honest.

Don't forget to visit the Pearl tower. Also Yuyuan gardens or any of the water cities. Zhouzhuang is beautiful but there is a small water city located right within Shanghai City. I'm sorry but I can't remember the name of it.
The City God Temple is easy to get to and there are lovely shops and restaurants in the surrounding area.
Don't forget to look up and see the laundry...it's everywhere! It gives the city such a wonderful charm.

JAN

haha i would give the river cruise a miss and spend my time elsewhere. do u speak Chinese? anyway I remember if u r in a taxi and u can't communicate with the driver, u can call 96822 and they can help translate.

here's the link to an interactive map of shanghai city.
http://www.smartshanghai.com/maps/smsh_map.php

if u let me know where u stay i can prob give u a few restaurant/massage/shopping recommendations!

JAN

haha i would give the river cruise a miss and spend my time elsewhere. do u speak Chinese? anyway I remember if u r in a taxi and u can't communicate with the driver, u can call 96822 and they can help translate.

here's the link to an interactive map of shanghai city.
http://www.smartshanghai.com/maps/smsh_map.php

if u let me know where u stay i can prob give u a few restaurant/massage/shopping recommendations!

I don't think I have a choice with the river cruise since I'm going with a tour, but I don't mind. The Bund looks breathtaking at night! If anything, I can pass the time taking pictures on the boat if it gets boring lol.

Yes, I speak Chinese, but only the Cantonese variety so I don't think that will come in handy haha. Thanks for the number. And the map.

I will be staying at the Shanghai Hongqiao Grand Mercure Hotel. Kind of out in the boonies, I know that much! Lol.

Don't forget to visit the Pearl tower. Also Yuyuan gardens or any of the water cities. Zhouzhuang is beautiful but there is a small water city located right within Shanghai City. I'm sorry but I can't remember the name of it.
The City God Temple is easy to get to and there are lovely shops and restaurants in the surrounding area.
Don't forget to look up and see the laundry...it's everywhere! It gives the city such a wonderful charm.

I will definitely try to check out the tower and gardens if I have some free time! Thanks for the recommendations!