Travelling with a Brikin!

Rouge*

O.G.
Jul 18, 2008
Hello Everyone,

I'm travelling in a few days and have recently purchased a Birkin. I'm obviously not going to pack my bag with the checked luggage. I'm thinking carry-on but packing wise how do you pack a birkin with such a large orange box as carry on? Any suggestions?

If you are flying international, it's probably best to mail the box and travel with the birkin. I think a giant orange box will draw attention at customs.

I have always mailed the boxes back empty. It does take a while and can often get stuck. So far, the worst is Canada...3 times the boxes got stuck in Canadian customs!! 6m later, the SA just sent me a different box. Not sure why it got stuck. It was empty.

I wouldn't check it... I'd spend the money and FEDEX it or carry it. I believe you're still allowed a checked bag, a carry on and ONE personal such as a purse, backpack, etc...

I know it sucks to ditch the box (I save ALL my "big purchase" boxes, I have a huge Vuitton box under by bed), but I'd rather play it safe! My LV keepall NEVER leaves my sight! Even when I use the potty, I make my roommate HOLD it, he isn't even allowed to set it down!

I leave boxes in the hotel room lined up near the door and just pack any new expensive bags in carry-on luggage. Shipping of the boxes was quoted at close to $150USD per box and I thought it better for me to just use those funds towards some more H goodies. I'm also a bit lazy about standing in line to ship something when on vacation.

My friends usually will ship the boxes home with their sweaters or other items in them and carry the new bags with them on the plane. They LOVE their boxes almost as much as anything that comes inside them.

Hermes in Venice Italy did offer to ship me the empty box themselves. I thought it especially thoughtful of them.

When I got my first Birkin in Paris, I had the bag with me as a carry on but placed the box inside my suitcase (and then stuff it with clothing, etc) It actually worked out very well as I had gotten a bunch of tea sets & vases and the giant orange box worked as an extra 'shield' for my fragile items. HTH!

I'd tried to pack my box with stuffs and stuck my birkin in my carry-on luggage. But too bad the box still got crushed because the orange box is quite fragile

When I bought my birkin in Toulouse, what I did was I used the bag and put the box inside my rolling luggage and filled the box with clothes. I had to sacrifice the paper pillow a bit but my husband fluffed it back to life when we got back. The box did not get damaged/crushed or anything.

i agree, fill the box with clothes and other things and check it in. carry the birkin in its cloth bag in a plastic bag.. i'm not sure i would want my new birkin going through the scanner unprotected!!

Depends where you are going to and from. I have never had an issue carrying the bags in the proper boxes as a carry on in addition to my handbag back home to the UK (from Europe).

I would wear the bag. The Birkin IMHO was made to travel. I am taking my to Paris on the plane, it is the absolute best bag to travel with. It truely lives up to why the bag was made originally.

I don't keep the boxes. Hubby let me keep one box but that's it. Any other boxes have to go. I get the bags/scarves, shoes, whatever, but no boxes to keep. I mean I can keep on box but the majority of boxes have to go.

I tend to put my Birkin into my my small wheeled trolley carryon thing along with my wrap/shawl, books, gameboy, etc. If you have bought the bag while abroad, I would have it shipped home (you could always pack some stuff in it, if you don't want the expense of sending back an empty box) and take the bag on the plane with you.

Happy travels!

Thank you all for your replies. What I believe I'll do is have my birkin in my carry on bag and put the orange box in my checked bag and fill it with clothes and cross my fingers that when I open my bag once I've arrived its not damaged.

Hermes just opened a new boutique back home so if it does get crushed I might be lucky and get a new box.

I'm flying internationally so I'm not sure how will the box hold up.

I have always mailed the boxes back empty. It does take a while and can often get stuck. So far, the worst is Canada...3 times the boxes got stuck in Canadian customs!! 6m later, the SA just sent me a different box. Not sure why it got stuck. It was empty.

Canadian customs are doing a real good job, they check everything.