Travel Travelling alone

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Will definitely look into Switzerland and Germany.

Bali: Ive been there as a kid and I definitely wanna go there again.

As for the language, they don't necessarily have to speak 100% english....just some basics. If Im visiting a foreign country, I will learn how to speak some basics.

BTW...just wanted to say that the Parisians were very patient with my French.

Have fun! Here is a website for a singles tour group, that isn't for hook-ups. I haven't been but have considered it.

http://www.adventuresforsingles.com

Thanks for all this thread and all the tips-eps. this website. I've been looking for something like this for awhile. I don't mind traveling for buisness alone, but on a vacation-that's a little different.

I'm really interested in the eco-tourism part. Only thing about this particular website is that don't seem to be around my age-but I can get over that:tup:

I hate traveling with even one other person.

I want the opportunity to experience every moment with all my pores wide open. I want the alone time to process what I have experienced.

I've traveled all over Europe, Eastern Europe, and St Petersburg. Alone.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm really interested in the eco-tourism part. Only thing about this particular website is that don't seem to be around my age-but I can get over that:tup:

How about this, I've been getting it in the mail for a while. You join a small group but they aren't your typical tourists. Many of them are professionals. Everyone's there for exploration off the beaten path. I have always wanted to try this type of travel. They also support conservation and all that good stuff :yes:

Wilderness Travel
http://www.wildernesstravel.com/

Also
The Travel Channel Discussion group, you might find other solitary travelers.
Samantha Brown's videos are wonderful for the solitary traveler too.
http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Samantha_Brown

I travel alone as I was in your situation years ago when I decided I would not wait on others to travel with me and that I would just start going on my own. I like having my own time and agenda. The only thing I don't really care for is having dinner alone. I don't mind eating breakfast and lunch alone, but would like to have companionship for dinner and in the evening.

I am planning a solo trip to South Africa in the next year or so.

You can check out Gap Tours as well.

Great thread. I'm also getting tired of waiting on people. I want to travel before I have children and the only way to accomplish this is going alone. I would like to go to San Francisco, Nashville, Arizona, Alaska, Europe and see more of South America.

I travel alone frequently for vacation since I have no patience sometimes to wait for friends, family or my husband lol! A good place to start is Europe and since you've been to London and Paris, it will not be completely strange for you. There are loads of public transportation. Switzerland, like everyone says, is just fantastic (I'm biased since I live here).

I've met many wonderful people on my lonely travels. I've also learnt to be really resourceful. I also find that I see so many "off-the-beaten" tracks travelling alone and that's what makes it so much more fun.

Once I was in Easter Island and I wanted to see this special place that I've seen in documentaries. No tour goes there. So, I hired a taxi. But since the terrain to go to the place is rugged, we ended up using the taxi driver's friend's 4x4! I paid him extra for the effort. The place was unbelievable. It was a cave along the cliff with paintings from ancient times. Also quite dangerous since if you fall off the cliff, you're off the island. And, since Easter Island is in the middle of freaking nowhere (I think it's the remotest inhabited island) ... you get my point lol!

Great thread, ladies! I have not been on a vacation for awhile (over 2.5 yrs) and most of the people I'd want to travel with live out of state and have different schedules or financial issues. I could go on a short trip w/ my mom and would like to, but I think I should give some serious thought to a solo getaway this coming fall.

I think I'd like to try maybe an island, go back to the Bahamas or Virgin Islands. Maybe try someplace new too.

You might also consider Central and South America. I've been to Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Belize, and Costa Rica, and all of those places are very safe (provided you use some basic street smarts). I always book a driver as well as very good hotels, and have never had a problem. The people are incredibly friendly, most speak English, and the landscapes are beautiful.

I used to travel alone a bunch - went to France and the UK by myself, and then went to China (Beijing, the Great Wall and Shanghai) by myself as well. I went without tour groups but did speak/write/understand French and a little bit of Chinese, but it was definitely the best time I've had in a long time. I would definitely recommend it!