Traveling with a Dog on plane (non Emotional Support)

You don't go through the airport when flying private, you go strait to the plane from your car (pic was taken at LAX), so yes they are flying commercial.

Then I think they made an exception for them. Seriously, I've tried just about every airline.

This is what is so puzzling. He can't be a therapy dog, because as you can see from my original post, she does fly without her dog.

Yeah, either the airline made an exception, or she had him certified as a therapy dog. Whether or not she really needs one, well.. :shrugs:

Yeah, either the airline made an exception, or she had him certified as a therapy dog. Whether or not she really needs one, well.. :shrugs:
The sedated dog I saw was either a fat overweight Frenchie or a bulldog. I don't know exactly what airline they were flying but that particular instance I was flying southwest.

In the states, you need to pay usually $100/leg, have certificate ok to fly from vet within 10 days of departure, up to date in their shots and gave the carrier tsa approved.

Oh...
I think I'm understanding, now.

First, a therapy dog's job isn't to give the HANDLER emotional support--the dog & handler team visits OTHERS needing support.
As when a sexually abused child must tell his/her story to police. A handler & therapy dog team might be called, so the child could tell those horrors to the dog, while detectives take notes.
Some courtrooms allow the therapy dog to lay @ a victim's feet, as comfort, during such testimony.

Second, bulldogs are brachycephalic, so they're @ higher health risk on airplanes. Here's more info. on that: https://www.avma.org/public/PetCare/Pages/Short-nosed-Dogs-and-Air-Travel-FAQs.aspx

I agree the pictured owner must have found a way around usual rules, if flying commercial. But, imo, not the best choice for her dog's health.

Hope this helps. Good thread.:smile:

The sedated dog I saw was either a fat overweight Frenchie or a bulldog. I don't know exactly what airline they were flying but that particular instance I was flying southwest.

In the states, you need to pay usually $100/leg, have certificate ok to fly from vet within 10 days of departure, up to date in their shots and gave the carrier tsa approved.

Yeah but in the states, most airlines won't fly short-nosed breeds, even in cargo. they may make exceptions depending on the time of year, but in general, brachycephalic breeds are a no-no.

Lufthansa allows them, but as checked luggage, not in the cabin and even that depends on the time of year.

That's been my issue. I can't find any airline that will allow dogs my size in the cabin.

Yeah but in the states, most airlines won't fly short-nosed breeds, even in cargo. they may make exceptions depending on the time of year, but in general, brachycephalic breeds are a no-no.

Lufthansa allows them, but as checked luggage, not in the cabin and even that depends on the time of year.

That's been my issue. I can't find any airline that will allow dogs my size in the cabin.
Yea I wish I can help you but overall it was a very weird experience, seeing all the dogs and I believe I was the only woman in that wing without false eyelashes. Go figure.

I can't help with airline questions--I can help with therapy dog information.

Therapy dogs ARE trained & certified animals. Each wears a specific neck bandana & collar tag, when working.

Also, the human handler will display a certification card.

True, therapy dogs aren't given the same legal rights as vested service animals.

Nor are they trained to perform the same tasks as service dogs.

But, these volunteer teams work miracles in many traumatized lives.

The pics here seem like ordinary pets strolling with owners.

If desired, here's a website for more info. about therapy dogs: http://www.tdi-dog.org/

I think I caused some confusion because I meant to refer to "emotional support" animals not actual therapy dogs who visit hospitals, schools, etc. Of course those kind of dogs are trained and certified, and I love the work they and their handlers do. :smile:

My Mabel that just passed away was trained and certified as a therapy dog.
She would have not being given any preferential treatment to get on the plane,,too big.

Service dogs are trained to provide service to a person. These pets are allowed on planes.

Renza: no worries--I got confused, too, because I've not heard of an "emotional support" dog. :smile:

Longchamp: a sad loss--your grief will be shared by all those Mabel helped in this lifetime, I know.

It looks like John Legend and his wife are at the United Terminal in LAX, have you tried United?

I would take the pic of them in the airport and demand answers :graucho:

It looks like John Legend and his wife are at the United Terminal in LAX, have you tried United?

I would take the pic of them in the airport and demand answers :graucho:

I should right!

United has the same policy most airlines here do. They do not allow pets in cabin unless they can fit in a crate under the seat in front.

So either these two had their Bulldog certified as an emotional support animal, or United
made an exception for them.

This really makes me sick. United can kiss my fat farkin' arse!

I should right!

United has the same policy most airlines here do. They do not allow pets in cabin unless they can fit in a crate under the seat in front.

So either these two had their Bulldog certified as an emotional support animal, or United
made an exception for them.

This really makes me sick. United can kiss my fat farkin' arse!

I'm sorry. Your dog in your avatar is absolutely adorable. I love bulldogs.

I recently flew from LAX to Orlando and someone brought along a golden retriever-sized emotional support dog on the plane. Throughout the flight, the dog lay, spread out, at the feet of its owner....and the passenger to the left of the owner....and the passenger to the right of the owner. Fortunately, they were dog lovers without any allergies.