Traveling to Denver, Colorado for work: Anything to know?

lill_canele

Pug mom <3
Jun 21, 2021
Hello all, I believe this is the first time I'm ever asking for advice/recommendations on this forum!:biggrin:

I am going to Denver, Colorado mid/late May for a 3-day work conference.

My main focus is (order in priority):

1) Is there anything I should know? (ie. what to not do, where to not go, safety, etc.)

2) What to wear? (I can of course, look up the weather, but tips from anyone who lives there or has traveled there are appreciated :smile:)

3) Where/what to eat? (I will be staying in Denver, and not going much elsewhere just fyi)

4) What to do? (I am mainly there for work though, it will be very heavily work focused, so I'm not sure how much free time I'll have, but again, tips are appreciated!)

Thank you everyone! :heart:

1. It's a nice place! In my experience the weather is just right... not too hot, not too cold and not a lot of humidity. Very car-friendly for rentals and easy parking (plenty of Uber, Lyft, etc too).
2. The vibe to me is down to earth - even in the nicer neighborhoods - so personally I'd wear whatever is comfortable to you. I think you'd stand out if you were totally blinging with a major jewelry stack, Birkin, and sky high heels though. :smile:
3. Visit a food hall! Denver Central Market is one we went to and enjoyed but there are a few in the city.
4. Kinda touristy but I enjoyed visiting the Denver Union Station, having some ice cream in there, and really enjoyed dining at Tupelo Honey just a short walk away.

• Love
Reactions: lill_canele
Read the conspiracy theories prior to getting there and familiarize yourself with the airport prior to getting there.
fun place.
Great trails.
Best hair days ever!
Great looking men/women too!
Casual attire ok

Where are you staying? 16th Street Mall area is nice, very walkable. Some shopping (H&M) and lots of good eats & treats. You can walk to Union Station and Coors Field is close. Denver has a nice art museum and Colorado history museum, too. You can walk by the Capital. I always feel safe in Denver. Colorado has a good vibe. Cherry Creek Mall has upscale shopping, but is not close to the downtown. I hope you get a chance to see something. Sounds like you won't have time for the mountains, but at least you can see them.:heart:

Please remember to keep yourself hydrated, especially your 1st day. Even if you don't feel thirsty, drink water anyway. You don't want Altitude sickness. Pack your moisturizer. Low humidity is great for the hair, but skin is thirsty.

Traffic is horrendous in Denver, especially on I-25.

If you're staying in LoDo (lower downtown), it's fun to walk around and shop and eat at fun restaurants. Upscale shopping in Cherry Creek which is on Speer Blvd.

Like lulu said, drink lots of water, especially on the first day because of the altitude. Be wary of drinking alcohol on your first day there again, because of the altitude.

Denver is beautiful so I hope you enjoy yourself.

@lill-canele If you are staying downtown there are many restaurants and it is easy to walk around. On 16th street, which is a pedestrian mall there is also a free shuttle. Getting around by Uber is easy too.

I don’t currently live in Colorado but pre-COVID I would visit about twice yearly as I have relatives there. I would recommend checking out Larimar Square in LoDo (lower downtown). There are some big chain restaurants but I would recommend Corridor 44. It is a champagne bar with small plates. I have not been there for a few years but when I went it was a lot of fun. My favorite boutique there was called the Crybaby Ranch. I would always pick up a fun scarf, graphic tee or just some quirky item. I just Googled it though and it is permanently closed.:sad: There are still some other boutiques there though.

If you have time go into the Brown Palace Hotel. It is historic and they have a lively bar and also serve high tea.

The upscale mall is Cherry Creek but since you have limited time and live in California there is nothing there that you wouldn’t find in California.

There is a family owned restaurant across the street from the Brown Palace that is called La Loma that is one of my favorites.

Like many big cities there is a homeless problem but I have never personally had any issues. I just stay aware of my surroundings as I would anywhere else.

Overall I would say that dress is fairly casual. I would plan on layering. It can be quite warm in May but it has been known to snow too so just keep an eye on the weather forecast as it gets nearer to your departure.

Denver is a great city. If you have some free time I think that you’ll enjoy it!