Travel Traveling through Europe by train

Cates

O.G.
Jan 9, 2008
My DH and I are going to Europe in May and I'm wondering what type of luggage we should both carry. I was thinking about a medium sized rolling bag and a large backpacking type backpack for each of us (4 bags total)? Is that to many to be lugging around?

For a purse, I'm only bringing one--my Linea Pelle cobalt medium Dylan tote as it can act as a tote and crossbody bag: http://www.lpcollection.com/images/cache/image-8612471a4c3f43f8f7ded731ab6ef2eb.png

My travel itinerary is Nuremburg, Germany-->Amsterdam, Netherlands-->Brugge, Belgium-->Mont Saint-Michel, France-->Paris, France-->Strasbourg, France-->back to Nuremburg, Germany to fly back to USA

I have to get our Eurorail passes soon, and was wondering what type of luggage I should get for train travel.

[FONT=&quot]Cates, get this rolling cabin bag from Briggs and Riley. It’s just a little over 36 linear inches and it’ll easily fit in the overhead cabin of all aircrafts. You’ll be amazed at how much you can pack inside. Pockets are provided to separate your undergarments and toiletries from your clothes. Tickets and other travel documents can be quickly accessed from the front pocket. This bag is any traveler’s delight![/FONT]

I agree, go with the backpack, so much easier and leaves your hands free for tickets /passport etc:yes: If you must take a suitcase a spinner is an absolute must have, I nearly killed myself dragging my pull along across France! ..ouch!!
Have an amazing trip! xoxo

Four bags is way too much IMO. Just go with one bag each. Backbacks are a bit easier if you are traveling by train since you often have to go up and down stairs to get on the train and there is limited storage space. I brought a small roller to Paris last fall (and went via train to Luxembourg) and was shocked how many flights of stairs there were in the Paris metro.

I agree with everyone. 4 bags is too much and although backpacks tend to get stuffed and heavy, they are easier to travel with on trains. I personally traveled with a carry-on size for 20 days (did laundry), a handbag, and a money belt (essential). My friend, who was lugging a roller suitcase, a carry-on size duffel, and a shoulder bag had the zipper of her shoulder bag unzipped TWICE in the Paris Metro within an hour. Thank goodness all her CCs, passport, and cash was in her money belt which I urged her to buy. Hope that helps!

pick a purse and a backpack and learn to pack light. you'll be grateful when you have to run for your train. i no longer use wheelies for carry on because they slow me down. yes, i'm one of those travelers who speed through airports. i think you have to be able to carry what you pack.

One suitcase per person for a train trip. You don't want to be tending that much luggage, both for theft and for the physical demands of it. Cutting back to one is totally doable.

A big point to remember is that in many European train stations, the track is not on the same floor as the entrance to it, so you have to schlep your stuff up or down stairs. Imagine fully loaded suitcases that you're hand carrying up and down concrete stairs, and you will see how quickly you'd be cussing your decision to overpack.