Travel question ?

Saffynyc

Dec 3, 2018
I know there’s a similar thread to this, regarding customs. But my question is if I take my Hermes bag with me overseas , and I come back how do I go about the situation if they think that I bought these bags from overseas when I brought them with me. Because I’m going to Spain and Italy in the next few months and want to take my bags with me. Has anybody ever encountered this?

Customs are not stupid
They're well trained
To spot and to check
Including calling your last port of departure to investigate vat claims
Calling credit cards companies for transaction
They have every right
They always give travelers the benefit of doubt and be honest
Before pointing guns at you if they want to

I know there’s a similar thread to this, regarding customs. But my question is if I take my Hermes bag with me overseas , and I come back how do I go about the situation if they think that I bought these bags from overseas when I brought them with me.

If you purchased your bags directly from an Hermès boutique you could take a copy of the original receipt with you. If you no longer have a copy, perhaps you could ask the boutique if they would print a duplicate receipt for you.

I have traveled with my hand-carried Hermès bags and no one has ever questioned their age. FYI: I place my hand-carried bag(s) inside a thin Envirosac bag while on the TSA conveyor belt in the airport, on the plane, and anywhere else I'd like to keep my bags out of the spotlight.

Happy travels!

I know there’s a similar thread to this, regarding customs. But my question is if I take my Hermes bag with me overseas , and I come back how do I go about the situation if they think that I bought these bags from overseas when I brought them with me. Because I’m going to Spain and Italy in the next few months and want to take my bags with me. Has anybody ever encountered this?

Bring copies of receipts for each bag you plan to bring on your trip. The receipts will prove that the bags were purchased in the US prior to your trip. I carry a file with me containing receipts for handbags, watches and jewelry purchased prior to my trip. I can tell you that customs agents have looked at my receipts and let me go on my merry way. Preparation is key to avoid issues when you return home. Have a wonderful trip!

I've never had a customs agent stop me for a bag. If your bags are absolutely pristine, by all means take a photo of the receipt and store on your phone, ideally in a cloud app like Dropbox or Genius Scan. (I keep all my receipts, CITES, passports, etc. in Genius Scan just in case.)

It's not going to be an issue.

My husband has a boring old Tag watch that looks like it has been through the war with it and he has been asked for proof of ownership twice now (and they wanted something showing the serial number the second time) so I’m not so sure.

Better safe than sorry.

I vote for taking a picture and/or storage method rather than the physical receipt. Paper overload is risky and a lot of receipts have personal info.

Last edited:
I vote for taking a picture and/or storage method rather than the physical receipt. Paper overload is risky and a lot of receipts have personal info.

The customs agents I dealt with wanted original or copies of purchase receipts. They did not want time stamped photos. Other customs agents may accept time stamped photos, I have not been that lucky. I carry copies with personal info blacked out. Scanned receipts stored on your laptop would work. I agree that paper can be problematic but I would rather not have to log in to my laptop on a network that may not be secure.

The bottom line is that proof of purchase for luxury items is a good idea when traveling. I have read excellent suggestions from others on this thread, each of us should just select the method that works best for our individual situation.

I take photos of myself carrying the bag at a recognizable, pre-security location at the airport itself before I leave the country. That way it's not just a time stamped photo, but there's a clear location and proof of me with it.

For exotics, I carry a copy of the receipt and CITES inside the bag. The price is just too high to take any risks.

I used to never get asked either but in the last couple of trips, they have point-blanked asked me where and when I bought the bag I was carrying.

Reactions: thriftstorelife
The customs agents I dealt with wanted original or copies of purchase receipts. They did not want time stamped photos. Other customs agents may accept time stamped photos, I have not been that lucky. I carry copies with personal info blacked out. Scanned receipts stored on your laptop would work. I agree that paper can be problematic but I would rather not have to log in to my laptop on a network that may not be secure.

The bottom line is that proof of purchase for luxury items is a good idea when traveling. I have read excellent suggestions from others on this thread, each of us should just select the method that works best for our individual situation.

Good advice. And Now Voyager is one of my favorite movies.

Reactions: nowvoyager1
The problem with just taking a photo of yourself with the bag is that it doesn’t mean it is THAT bag. They are used to people taking pictures with one bag and then buying more for re-sale while abroad.

That’s why they wanted to see proof of the serial number for my husband’s watch.