travel oversea

  1. hi all,
    i usually flight back to my home country (vietnam) during the summer. i didnt take my yorkie last summer because she was too young (4months). but now i think she is old enough and would like her to fligh w me.
    she is about 5#, will be 1y6months by the time i have my trip.
    can she be "carry on" w me?
    do you know how much for the ticket (to where you flight to outside us)?
    and is there trouble coming back to the state?

  2. It will depend on the airline. I've never flown overseas w/ an animal. Read the contract of carriage for whatever airline you are looking at. I did fly once w/ my cat and she counted as my carry-on. It was not a big thing. You just have to have all the papers with you at all times. I think some flights charge upwards of $100 for pets. The airline I was awful in every way except for the pet charge- $20.
  3. thanks, i checked w Continental and UA and they need a lot of paper work=
    but thanks, ill check again
  4. not only the airline regulations you have to be aware of, the regulation of Vietnam custom need to be taking cared of too :flowers:
  5. Ok its sort of detailed but here you go....I fly Delta with my pet rabbit in the cabin all the time from italy to us and back. What I do is while I am in italy I have to go get a health certificate 10 days before flying I then go to italian sanitation department pay 18.96 euro to them and get export documents. They look at the health certificate and if he has had his shot for mtytixamosis sp? and he is healthy they have no problem. I then show Delta my health certificate upon checkin and pay a fee 0f 75.00. I have his ticket booked in advance with mine because only 2 pets are allowed per cabin. Then when I get into us I have to declare him on the form they give you on the plane. They make me take him through customs and they look at his paperwork at the airport jfk or atl.

    When I come back to italy I go to an aphis accredited vet and they can do an international health certificate. It states he is healthy and has not been in a place that has had a case of mytixamosis within 50 miles. I then have to get this endorsed by the USDA office in my state so he can be imported to italy. You usually have to make an appointment with them a few weeks in advance. They are very busy. This and the health certificate must be done within 10 days before your flight. Here is some info and websites. This took me months to figure out how to do this with my pet so Im happy to help you out.

    To come back to us
    Your dog needs a proof of rabies vaccine within 30 days of your flight and probably health certificate to be safe thats within 10 days of flying see info from CDC website below . Here is the link also.

    A general certificate of health is not required by CDC for entry of pet dogs into the United States, although some airlines or states may require them. However, pet dogs are subject to inspection at ports of entry and may be denied entry into the United States if they have evidence of an infectious disease that can be transmitted to humans. If a dog appears to be ill, further examination by a licensed veterinarian at the owner's expense might be required at the port of entry.
    Proof of Rabies Vaccination: Dogs must have a certificate showing they have been vaccinated against rabies at least 30 days prior to entry into the United States. These requirements apply equally to service animals such as Seeing Eye dogs.
    Importation of Unvaccinated Dogs: Dogs not accompanied by proof of rabies vaccination, including those that are too young to be vaccinated (i.e. less than 3 months of age), may be admitted if the importer completes a confinement agreement (see below) and confines the animal until it is considered adequately vaccinated against rabies (the vaccine is not considered effective until 30 days after the date of vaccination). Spanish, French, and Russian translations of form CDC 75.37 are available, but must be completed in English.

    To leave the us

    do as I did and go to aphis accredited vet for an international health certificate and then to your states usda office to get it endorsed within 10 days of flying. Vietnam has no requirements according the website below so you only need the things above

    here is the info again for leaving US and the website

    International health certificates for the export of animals from the United States are completed by the APHIS accredited veterinarian who certifies animal health status, conducts tests, and records test results for the individual animals being exported. Completed and signed international health certificates for the export of animals from the United States must be endorsed by a Veterinary Services area office in order to be valid. To obtain the USDA endorsement of an international health certificate or any other documents relating to traveling with your pet, the documents must be completed by an APHIS Accredited Veterinarian.
    The APHIS Area Office for your state can assist you with your questions relating to traveling with your pet, help you locate an Accredited Veterinarian, and inform you of the fee(s) for the USDA endorsement(s). You should check with your current Veterinarian to determine if he/she is an APHIS Accredited Veterinarian. You can locate the VS Area Office for your State at:
    Please note that the National Center for Import and Export can not endorse international health certificates for any kind of animals including pets. For health certificate endorsement please contact your local VS Area Office ( The United States has minimal requirements for animals to be exported to other countries. Your Area Veterinarian-in-Charge can provide you with the current regulations, tests, and inspections required. Each country may have other specific health requirements for entry of animals. These requirements are established by the importing country, not the United States. Other countries may also have their own certificate format for export. Since export requirements frequently change, obtain the current export requirements from the Veterinary Service office in your area before each shipment. We recommend that you also contact the country's consulate or embassy to ensure that you have the most current information. Do not rely solely on information provided by brokers and exporters. The VS web site has limited export requirements for select countries for pets at: Animal Export Regulations.