Travel Insurance?

rachaelrosen

Mar 18, 2020
One thing a lot of people bring up when I tell them I want to go to Korea for surgery is "what if something goes wrong, what if you have to be hospitalized?" Of course, this could happen to anyone travelling abroad, but the chance is higher if you're going there specifically to do something that carries additional risk like surgery.

So do you think it's best to get travel insurance? Are there travel insurances that cover emergency accidents caused by non-emergency, elective surgery?

tvxqgirl

May 12, 2013
So do you think it's best to get travel insurance? Are there travel insurances that cover emergency accidents caused by non-emergency, elective surgery?
+1! If anyone knows any travel insurances that covers emergency accidents caused by elective surgery, please let us know.

But my hunch is that there won't be many insurances that would do that. As of now my country's insurance providers won't cover the risk of getting COVID-19 if you travel.

Reactions: Mazikeen

Mazikeen

Oct 12, 2018
Nope. Before any surgery the clinic always warns you of the possible risks and when you agree to go ahead then any treatment you need as a direct result of the surgery will be your own responsibility. Travel insurances are only for "unforeseeable" emergencies; since the clinic made you aware of the risk and you still went ahead and had surgery, this is was "foreseeable" & is not covered.