Travel Help - Suggestions Needed

Notorious Pink

Hermès PurseBlogger!
O.G.
Jun 8, 2007
I will try and keep this aimed at VCA so that this thread stays here and doesn't get moved to The Jewelry Box. I really respect the opinions (and collections!!!) of the awesome ladies who post here.

DH and I spent many years when the DSs were young staying close to home. Now he will be 50 this year and we have started doing a lot of traveling. Most of the time I bring some jewelry with me and, if I'm not wearing something, I keep it on my person or with me at all times.

I've mentioned a few times that I don't have what most people consider "everyday" jewelry - no ear studs, no pendants.

DH and I just got back from a trip with DS1 and we let DS2 pick where he wants to go. DS2 picked Atlantis. This sort of place is really not my cup of tea. I thought I was "done" with this sort of trip when we took them to Disney maybe 6 years ago. We have already planned the dolphin interaction and I am certain there are many waterslides in my future.

So it seems to me that perhaps I should invest in some more casual but good jewelry that I can bring on these trips (instead of, say, skiing in the Alps with a set of lg Frivoles and a pave link necklace stuffed inside my ski jacket?). Things I can wear but not worry about so much while I am away? They should also be pieces I will reach for when I am home.

Will any VCA fit this bill? What do you all do when you travel?

Watching this thread!

Have you looked at the single pave Alhambra pendant? Simple and discrete enough for travel, but you can layer it with a 20 motif at home for the bling factor :Smile1:

Reactions: BBC
I will try and keep this aimed at VCA so that this thread stays here and doesn't get moved to The Jewelry Box. I really respect the opinions (and collections!!!) of the awesome ladies who post here.

DH and I spent many years when the DSs were young staying close to home. Now he will be 50 this year and we have started doing a lot of traveling. Most of the time I bring some jewelry with me and, if I'm not wearing something, I keep it on my person or with me at all times.

I've mentioned a few times that I don't have what most people consider "everyday" jewelry - no ear studs, no pendants.

DH and I just got back from a trip with DS1 and we let DS2 pick where he wants to go. DS2 picked Atlantis. This sort of place is really not my cup of tea. I thought I was "done" with this sort of trip when we took them to Disney maybe 6 years ago. We have already planned the dolphin interaction and I am certain there are many waterslides in my future.

So it seems to me that perhaps I should invest in some more casual but good jewelry that I can bring on these trips (instead of, say, skiing in the Alps with a set of lg Frivoles and a pave link necklace stuffed inside my ski jacket?). Things I can wear but not worry about so much while I am away? They should also be pieces I will reach for when I am home.

I don't know what's already in your existing collection.

Personally for me, when I travel, I really want to be able to enjoy myself fully and not have to worry much about anything of significant value (jewelry, handbag). With that being said, I can relate to your dilemma as well, there are times where I've taken trips and unexpectedly go to places where I feel a tad under dressed and wished I had some of my pieces with me.

If it's vca, I would say anything in the Alhambra line can be dressed up or down (not good for water sports though, unless it's the solid gold Alhambra or pave Alhambra pendant), if you prefer some bling, perhaps consider the perlee collection? (since it offers a range of pieces that are either plain or with diamonds), or maybe flurette or Socrate earstuds?

I think these pieces could also be easily worn and reached for when it's just day to day.

Reactions: luvprada and BBC

Watching this thread!

Have you looked at the single pave Alhambra pendant? Simple and discrete enough for travel, but you can layer it with a 20 motif at home for the bling factor :Smile1:

I don't know what's already in your existing collection.

Personally for me, when I travel, I really want to be able to enjoy myself fully and not have to worry much about anything of significant value (jewelry, handbag). With that being said, I can relate to your dilemma as well, there are times where I've taken trips and unexpectedly go to places where I feel a tad under dressed and wished I had some of my pieces with me.

If it's vca, I would say anything in the Alhambra line can be dressed up or down (not good for water sports though, unless it's the solid gold Alhambra or pave Alhambra pendant), if you prefer some bling, perhaps consider the perlee collection? (since it offers a range of pieces that are either plain or with diamonds), or maybe flurette or Socrate earstuds?

I think these pieces could also be easily worn and reached for when it's just day to day.

BBC, this might be a tough one to answer.

I agree with kat99 about the VA PAVE PENDANT. I have it in YG and it's more like understated bling. It's very versatile and can be layered with other VCA pieces.

IMG_1490661448.027916.jpg

I also like the advice that jssl1688 gave about studs. I wear my C de Cartier diamond studs often on holiday because of the push lock mechanism and I don't have to take them off to sleep.

I am actually thinking about what will complement my VA PAVE PENDANT in YG, since my diamond studs are in WG.

All diamonds and gold jewelry are hardy and good for travel as long as it's not too ostentatious.
Having said that, there are not many vca everyday jewellery that fits the bills. I'm personally underwhelmed by the single motif Alhambra vintage pendant. The vintage studs are a bit large wearing it for waterslides. Most Alhambra stones are not hardy enough for activities based holidays. The all gold sweets studs may be of good size and material but I find the short post and tiny push back not very secured for high impact water activities. Someone also wrote in another thread that Perlee signature bracelet is thin and the closure mechanism is not strong enough, it gave way even though it was relatively new.
I understand you would like to keep this thread vca specific but you probably have more success with a Tiffany/Cartier if you are looking for good travel/everyday jewelry.
I don't wear jewellery 24/7 but have recently bought a Cartier rose gold with diamonds Juste Un Clou bracelet, planning to wear it as my permanent jewelry.

Last edited:

Large fleurettes
No they aren't redundant if you already have studs.
They are incredibly sparkly and the backs are very secure.

Reactions: HADASSA and BBC
Thanks so much everyone for all the advice! Actually, I don't have studs and I am very tempted to just buy an 'ersatz' pair so I have something that looks nice.

I was hoping VCA earstuds of whatever kind (Fleurette, Socrate, Sweets, Mini Frivole) would be secure enough to withstand whatever I wind up doing. So they aren't? Because the mini Frivoles are really tempting! I like the sweets but would never wear them at home.

My earring collection is slightly ridiculous.

I have:

Large YG Frivole
PG Diamond cluster earrings (which are larger than the large Frivole)

I usually bring one or the other of those.

Then I also have these:

IMG_1490667713.150318.jpg

And these:

IMG_1490667758.202915.jpg

And my next pair was going to be these:

IMG_1490667847.864842.jpg

So as you can see I don't really have anything small.

TGG I know you adore your pave Vintage Alhambras, and the Fleurettes are beautiful, but for the price I would get the pave Frivole, and those are definitely on my list. I actually don't love the size of the VAs and would only get earrings to match what I have and be causal. I have no earrings that aren't sparkly!

I suppose when it comes down to it, DH could just keep an eye on my things while I hit the slides with DS. I just started sewing and I made myself travel pouches for the jewelry I've been traveling with:

I made little sleeves for each individual piece of jewelry and a roll for a necklace

IMG_1490668421.495838.jpg

And the smallest-sized zipper pouch that would fit it all:

IMG_1490668453.039811.jpg

Thanks so much everyone for all the advice! Actually, I don't have studs and I am very tempted to just buy an 'ersatz' pair so I have something that looks nice.

I was hoping VCA earstuds of whatever kind (Fleurette, Socrate, Sweets, Mini Frivole) would be secure enough to withstand whatever I wind up doing. So they aren't? Because the mini Frivoles are really tempting! I like the sweets but would never wear them at home.

My earring collection is slightly ridiculous.

I have:

Large YG Frivole
PG Diamond cluster earrings (which are larger than the large Frivole)

I usually bring one or the other of those.

Then I also have these:

View attachment 3648323

And these:

View attachment 3648324

And my next pair was going to be these:

View attachment 3648326

So as you can see I don't really have anything small.

TGG I know you adore your pave Vintage Alhambras, and the Fleurettes are beautiful, but for the price I would get the pave Frivole, and those are definitely on my list. I actually don't love the size of the VAs and would only get earrings to match what I have and be causal. I have no earrings that aren't sparkly!

I suppose when it comes down to it, DH could just keep an eye on my things while I hit the slides with DS. I just started sewing and I made myself travel pouches for the jewelry I've been traveling with:

I made little sleeves for each individual piece of jewelry and a roll for a necklace

View attachment 3648338

And the smallest-sized zipper pouch that would fit it all:

View attachment 3648339
OK...I might have a solution for you.
Have you tried on the pave sweets? For starters, the price point is incredible for what you get. VCA pave plus that iconic quadrafoil...in a stud that you can wear all the time (even sleep in)...
The french backs are VERY secure.
I recall comparing the pave sweets to the fleurettes to the socrate single motif ear studs. I may still wind up with the pave sweets for one of my girls...although I find them totally wearable for adults.
I encourage you to at least try them on.

Reactions: BBC and pazt
For VCA studs I have a suggestion - perlee pave. They measure about 10mm across and are pretty versatile and have enough of a presence on their own. They are available in WG, PG and YG. [emoji4]

Reactions: BBC
TGG, I remember you having both sizes in the Fleurettes.

Do they differ in size much? Which do you prefer?

And what are your thoughts on the Fleurettes in WG vs YG?
I do.
If really depends on your ears.
The small size still has a lot of impact.
Mine are set in wg. The diamonds look brighter in wg IMO but set in yg the earrings have a lovely old fashioned look.

Last edited:
All diamonds and gold jewelry are hardy and good for travel as long as it's not too ostentatious.
Having said that, there are not many vca everyday jewellery that fits the bills. I'm personally underwhelmed by the single motif Alhambra vintage pendant. The vintage studs are a bit large wearing it for waterslides. Most Alhambra stones are not hardy enough for activities based holidays. The all gold sweets studs may be of good size and material but I find the short post and tiny push back not very secured for high impact water activities. Someone also wrote in another thread that Perlee signature bracelet is thin and the closure mechanism is not strong enough, it gave way even though it was relatively new.
I understand you would like to keep this thread vca specific but you probably have more success with a Tiffany/Cartier if you are looking for good travel/everyday jewelry.
I don't wear jewellery 24/7 but have recently bought a Cartier rose gold with diamonds Juste Un Clou bracelet, planning to wear it as my permanent jewelry.
100% agree with this. With the exception of the all gold or gold and diamond pieces most of Van Cleef may be too delicate for travel. I would suggest looking at the Victoria Collection from Tiffany for earrings or a pendant. Since many of the pieces are platinum and understated but blingy you may feel safer with this design. Also my Cartier Love Bracelet has been worn almost every day for the past 4 years and it has been holding up well (even with 2 little kids pulling on it).

100% agree with this. With the exception of the all gold or gold and diamond pieces most of Van Cleef may be too delicate for travel. I would suggest looking at the Victoria Collection from Tiffany for earrings or a pendant. Since many of the pieces are platinum and understated but blingy you may feel safer with this design. Also my Cartier Love Bracelet has been worn almost every day for the past 4 years and it has been holding up well (even with 2 little kids pulling on it).
The Tiffany Victoria cluster earrings are amazing.