Travel Help - Suggestions Needed

I will try and keep this aimed at VCA so that this thread stays here and doesn't get moved to The Jewelry Box. I really respect the opinions (and collections!!!) of the awesome ladies who post here.

DH and I spent many years when the DSs were young staying close to home. Now he will be 50 this year and we have started doing a lot of traveling. Most of the time I bring some jewelry with me and, if I'm not wearing something, I keep it on my person or with me at all times.

I've mentioned a few times that I don't have what most people consider "everyday" jewelry - no ear studs, no pendants.

DH and I just got back from a trip with DS1 and we let DS2 pick where he wants to go. DS2 picked Atlantis. This sort of place is really not my cup of tea. I thought I was "done" with this sort of trip when we took them to Disney maybe 6 years ago. We have already planned the dolphin interaction and I am certain there are many waterslides in my future.

So it seems to me that perhaps I should invest in some more casual but good jewelry that I can bring on these trips (instead of, say, skiing in the Alps with a set of lg Frivoles and a pave link necklace stuffed inside my ski jacket?). Things I can wear but not worry about so much while I am away? They should also be pieces I will reach for when I am home.

Will any VCA fit this bill? What do you all do when you travel?
Here's another crazy thought. Of all places, Lilly Pulitzer has great looking studs right now for $20.00. They appear to be around the size of 1.5carat stones each. You can wear them in the pool etc and not worry about losing or ruining them.
After your trip you can throw them away if you don't like them anymore.
The quality is surprising. I saw these while on vacation recently and was impressed.

Reactions: BBC
Here's another crazy thought. Of all places, Lilly Pulitzer has great looking studs right now for $20.00. They appear to be around the size of 1.5carat stones each. You can wear them in the pool etc and not worry about losing or ruining them.
After your trip you can throw them away if you don't like them anymore.
The quality is surprising. I saw these while on vacation recently and was impressed.

I am thinking about everyone's suggestions! Thank you!!!!!

I am considering pair of czs (they have pretty good looking ones at my hair salon or I can pop over to Lily Pulitzer thanks TGG! [emoji8]) but I do like the idea of just buying a good pair of more subtle earrings.

I will look at Byzantine, the Sweets and mini Frivole - and I'll try on a pair of regular pg Vintage, which would go with everything.

I will also take a look at some of Tamara Comolli, I am slightly obsessed with some of her designs to mix and match with my VCA and my other one-off pieces (an amethyst Mikado pendant in pg to match the amethyst earrings). Her earrings are generally small but if I'm going to buy a few of her pieces anyway it may be what I need. I might take a look at Cartier, although I truly never do. Cartier is so ubiquitous here that it never occurs to me to look at their jewelry. Plus I stick with pg and I know VCAs is much better (I think Cartier's pg fades).

Personally, I generally don't travel with abroad expensive jewelry or anything that if anything happened, I would be heartbroken. But DH and I were mugged on our honeymoon in Madrid.

When I went to Vietnam, I purchased a set of nice but inexpensive costume ear studs in differing colors/variants. When I came back, I gave them to DD. I also brought some other unrecognizable but nice Gurhan silver/gold combo pieces. I carried a Tumi Nylon cross body bag. i just did not want to draw undue attention to me. And I would feel the same way at Atlantis.

DH and I traveled to London for our 25th anniversary and I brought some VCA pieces with me. But I made sure all my insurance was up to date prior to travel. The VCA pieces I chose were replaceable.

I'm going to Paris and then a Mediterranean cruise from Rome to Barcelona for my 30th. I am debating what to bring. And I think, I'll use my normal travel jewelry and be incognito.:coolio:

Reactions: Coconuts40 and BBC
Well, I had several hours in the city today with nothing to do so I went to VCA and pretty much settled it. I tried on about 8 different pairs of earrings. I was working with the manager, who happens to have similar taste as I do (she wore -gorgeous!- Magic Onyx earrings with the 16 motif onyx/mop).

We both agreed that I should not buy any sweet size earrings, Perlee pave or the mini Frivoles, they do not work on me at all. We both loved the vintage alhambra carnelian with my necklace and the pink gold for everyday pieces, that's the smallest I can do. I wouldn't do the pave because I prefer the pave Frivole, but that will be in a year or two.

I think DH will just have to watch my things for me when I am on the waterslides!

Last edited:
I
BBC, this might be a tough one to answer.

I agree with kat99 about the VA PAVE PENDANT. I have it in YG and it's more like understated bling. It's very versatile and can be layered with other VCA pieces.

View attachment 3648249

I also like the advice that jssl1688 gave about studs. I wear my C de Cartier diamond studs often on holiday because of the push lock mechanism and I don't have to take them off to sleep.

I am actually thinking about what will complement my VA PAVE PENDANT in YG, since my diamond studs are in WG.

I think the Alhambra pave pendant with a matching pave ring and diamond studs would look great. Don't worry if you get the VC pieces in gold and studs in platinum.

My jeweler once said just insure eveything and enjoy it. So that's another way to go. I know it depends where you are traveling though. I try not to call attention to myself when I'm traveling.

Reactions: BBC and HADASSA
Well, I had several hours in the city today with nothing to do so I went to VCA and pretty much settled it. I tried on about 8 different pairs of earrings. I was working with the manager, who happens to have similar taste as I do (she wore -gorgeous!- Magic Onyx earrings with the 16 motif onyx/mop).

We both agreed that I should not buy any sweet size earrings, Perlee pave or the mini Frivoles, they do not work on me at all. We both loved the vintage alhambra carnelian with my necklace and the pink gold for everyday pieces, that's the smallest I can do. I wouldn't do the pave because I prefer the pave Frivole, but that will be in a year or two.

I think DH will just have to watch my things for me when I am on the waterslides!
Just reading that you have found some pieces that work for you. That's great!

Just reading that you have found some pieces that work for you. That's great!

Thank you! I love the security of an earstud, but they're all just too small. I don't even own diamond studs...because at a minimum they would need to be 2 1/2 carats each...and for that price I might as well just get the Pave Frivoles....which are, again, neither subtle nor understated. I'm not good with understated! [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] The carnelian and the pg pairs of Alhambra earrings will be my "understated". [emoji6]

Reactions: westcoastgal
Thank you! I love the security of an earstud, but they're all just too small. I don't even own diamond studs...because at a minimum they would need to be 2 1/2 carats each...and for that price I might as well just get the Pave Frivoles....which are, again, neither subtle nor understated. I'm not good with understated! [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] The carnelian and the pg pairs of Alhambra earrings will be my "understated". [emoji6]
Have you tried the large fleurettes?
VCA also offers large (single stone) studs. I was surprised to see a pair at my boutique recently.
TBH, I don't feel that one needs to go VCA for plain studs, however...

I just found this thread while searching for information about shopping at Atlantis. How did the trip go? Did you have any trouble with your jewelry while you were there? Did you feel worried or conspicuous?

DH and I are going over Thanksgiving- he's actually going for work and I will be hanging out with my SIL. I have been there once but it was before I had any "good" jewelry to speak of. I've been wondering about my wedding set which is quite blingy, but it never occurred to me to consider issues like waterslides and conspicuous earrings!

This is a tough question. I have 2 small kids and one on the way and I prefer to invest now in everyday jewelry that can go from work day to the fair (which we are headed to today). Outside of VCA I wear diamond studs, my engagement ring set, 3 Cartier loves and a platinum & diamond pendant daily (never take these pieces off except to clean). I plan to get the VCA all gold 10 clover necklace to replace the diamond/platinum pendant in the near future (pendant will be given to my daughter), and I foresee keeping this on daily. I am also getting the clover perlee bracelet and foresee wearing this daily while close to home but not running with it or travelling with it.
So as other have said I would look at other options for travel pieces and keep to gold/platinum and diamonds.

I just found this thread while searching for information about shopping at Atlantis. How did the trip go? Did you have any trouble with your jewelry while you were there? Did you feel worried or conspicuous?

DH and I are going over Thanksgiving- he's actually going for work and I will be hanging out with my SIL. I have been there once but it was before I had any "good" jewelry to speak of. I've been wondering about my wedding set which is quite blingy, but it never occurred to me to consider issues like waterslides and conspicuous earrings!

Hi! Sorry, just got back from camp pickup....

Atlantis was fine....I know a lot of people like it, but it was not my (or DHs) cup of tea and we will never go back there again. It's not bad, it's just not the sort of place we like. In general I don't worry about being conspicuous or not, esp when I'm with DH. With my red hair I don't generally "blend in" anywhere so I just roll with it and wear whatever pieces I want, anyway.

I brought/wore costume jewelry, left my good bags at home and used the hotel safe for anything valuable when I was on the waterslides (I never take my rings off and just sort of hid my hand when getting on the slides). DS2 made me do the huge one a few times and I was mostly concerned about losing my bathing suit on that, much less a pair of earrings!

Reactions: texasgirliegirl