Travel Transportation and lodging for Madrid, Spain, Sevilla and Italy

lawchick

O.G.
Aug 3, 2006
Hi guys! I am getting so excited trying to plan a trip to Spain next year for Sevilla's Feria de Abril and I really need advice on how to get from place to place the most quick, efficient and cost effective way possible. I also would like advice on places to stay in Barcelona, Sevilla and Madrid.

When I am in Spain how should I get from Barcelona to Madrid and Sevilla? Is the train the best way to go? Has anyone here taken the train to/from any of these cities? What are they like and which "class" or level of ticket is best? It looks like the train rides are about 2.5-3.5 hours long for the above routes.

I want to go to Spain but I also want to spend a couple of days with my folks in Rome either at the beginning or the end of my trip. What would be most cost effective, flying in to Italy and then flying or taking the train to Spain? Flying in to Spain and then either flying or taking the train to Italy? Have any of you ever taken the train from Spain to Italy? If I fly, what airline would you suggest going from either Barcelona or Seville to Rome?

Thanks for your help! I am a little overwhelmed by my choices since I am adding Italy. It would be easier if it was just Spain. Also, any lodging recs for Madrid, Barcelona or Seville?

i think train is a pretty good way to get around spain. if you really want to save, you could take a bus, but of course it's like an overnight trip from madrid to sevilla. i think the savings is like 40 euros.

I would go by train. I've gone between Barcelona and Madrid a couple of times. You sit comfy in second class. You even get headphones so you can watch a movie. Just remember to dress warmly. The last time I took the train was in the middle of July. It was hot, hot, hot outside but the train had a brutal AC. I had to open up my packing and take out a pair of socks and an extra sweater. You can buy your tickets at www.renfe.com

Thanks, that helps. I think I am going to do the train. How long is the trip from Madrid to Barcelona and from Barcelona to Seville? I looked on the train website and the info is a bit conflicting.

How about the Spain to Italy issue?

This is how I would do it. I would fly to Rome. Spend a couple of days there and then take Ryan Air to Seville. From Sevilla I would take the train to Madrid, and then later on continue up to Barcelona. From Barcelona I would fly with Ryan Air back to Rome. Unless of course you could find a ticket from CA? to Rome with a return from Barcelona. That would be best but they are often more expensive.