Transitioning from "Leather" to Exotics...

My personal opinion is that some colors just look fantastic in exotics (any remember gris de paris in croc? faint over that combo). But just like everyone here, I think you'll always have a fondness for your bags in leathers as well. For me, the bags remind me of a store, a place, a time in my life when I bought them. You always will need your leather bags for 'dressing down' or in rain, etc....so, what I'm really saying is...enjoy that new slippery slope!

ITA with everything said here. and yes, i would give up a kidney AND a left foot for a gris de paris in croc K. i don't mind limping a bit to have that bag on my arm. LOL.

My personal opinion is that some colors just look fantastic in exotics (any remember gris de paris in croc? faint over that combo). But just like everyone here, I think you'll always have a fondness for your bags in leathers as well. For me, the bags remind me of a store, a place, a time in my life when I bought them. You always will need your leather bags for 'dressing down' or in rain, etc....so, what I'm really saying is...enjoy that new slippery slope!

Gris Paris Croc B35 is basically my most HG of HG bags ever! =) I think you have stupendous taste! haha

Darling i have to say you never truly move on from leather theuse is very different and with time i went from leathers Togo TC to croc ostrich lizzie and then back to leathers barenia Box etc.

in all honesty i found after having used not preserved bags,that is i wear! exotics as much as i wear the leathers and i came to know myself.and found that i preffer leather all the way. this said certain exotics can work as leathers like matte croc and larger ostrich still,i said this once to my SA and she said Birkel Darling please stop adapting to exotics you either love the rigidness and patina of exotic or you love flop and patina of lether so this is something to think about before you move to exotics now having loved Box lether i do think i could buy a 35cm black shiny croc. because it most looks and feels like box but then again im adapting so ...... if you can i very much suggest trying on all posible options sometimes resellers in the asia that have existing bags or friends and if ever posible the shops.

smaller bags in lizzard are amazing you really dont need that much exploration and they are very wearable and still in a pretty logical Price point. hope it helps Darling Birkel.

Darling i have to say you never truly move on from leather theuse is very different and with time i went from leathers Togo TC to croc ostrich lizzie and then back to leathers barenia Box etc.

in all honesty i found after having used not preserved bags,that is i wear! exotics as much as i wear the leathers and i came to know myself.and found that i preffer leather all the way. this said certain exotics can work as leathers like matte croc and larger ostrich still,i said this once to my SA and she said Birkel Darling please stop adapting to exotics you either love the rigidness and patina of exotic or you love flop and patina of lether so this is something to think about before you move to exotics now having loved Box lether i do think i could buy a 35cm black shiny croc. because it most looks and feels like box but then again im adapting so ...... if you can i very much suggest trying on all posible options sometimes resellers in the asia that have existing bags or friends and if ever posible the shops.

smaller bags in lizzard are amazing you really dont need that much exploration and they are very wearable and still in a pretty logical Price point. hope it helps Darling Birkel.

Thank you so much always for sharing your experience, dear Birkel. I find it fascinating that exotics brought you back to box and barenia; and that you weren't so seduced by exotics that you were lured away from non-exotics completely. I think it is such a great suggestion to try to be exposed to a range of exotic bags at reseller or friends in order to make the best decision! I would not hesitate to get a small lizzie; however I think the reseller price point is not so logical and it would take a major miracle for one to arrive at the store when I would have quota to buy one.

Oh well,

I've started with exotic, so I think I am NOT the most qualified person to give any opinion...but....YES ! Exotics are Ab-Fab ! and you can wear them all day all year...and you will enjoy them more than you can even imagine.

You might not want to settle to a dull Togo any longer....
But you will for sure feel more love for Barenia, Box, Chamonix etc.... Exotics will lead you to the best leathers. ;)

You will probably have to trust your Sa to provide your exotics. When travelling you will probably be offered the pieces you do not want to buy...the typical touristic items, if I may say so....

It's true that colors are extra-ordinary beautiful in croc, but they are also a bit more IN YOUR FACE , so you will have to adapt to your life-style. But that is only a pleasant thing to do ;)

Thank you for your advice, Perlerare. It is so interesting that both you and Birkel thought I might like Barenia or Box more after exotics, and not togo.

"You will enjoy them more than you can even imagine." :lol::lol::lol: Oh no, now I am totally imagining and, wow, it is more than that??!!

If this were a movie my husband were watching I think the ominous horror music would be playing...

Omg. I have been tip toeing with this question whether to get preowned birdie or croc, and I am trying to resist due to fearing of never coming back. I have already taste for rarer leathers, what happens if I choose something in exotics? My husbands says I should try something, but this fear is overwhelming. Loving the idea of adapting lifestyle and style around the exotic bag, can I get a driver, dresser, make up artist and all to look the part, lol? My kids would probably love more popping colours in the house, looks great when you draw on them, haha. I really look forward hearing what you gonna get if so, and everyone's opinion about this. My bag collecting has evolved so dramatically over the years towards more luxurious or expensive brands, styles and leathers, is it never gonna end? I guess not. My husband was right all along, he said since the beginning, that this is the beginning of the endless upgrading. He said this with pure love and respect, he loves to see how this thing goes...

Endless upgrade! That is so true! We are never done!

Thank you for your advice, Perlerare. It is so interesting that both you and Birkel thought I might like Barenia or Box more after exotics, and not togo.

"You will enjoy them more than you can even imagine." :lol::lol::lol: Oh no, now I am totally imagining and, wow, it is more than that??!!

If this were a movie my husband were watching I think the ominous horror music would be playing...

May I add that you could live with exotics ONLY.... because Hermes skins cover all occasions, needs, seasons, time etc...

You can go from a slouchy matte croc or ostrich large B or K retourne, as a workhorse ( yes they DO become slouchy if you really use them and carry your stuff in) ...... ( too bad they don't make large Gypsiere or Lindy in matt croc !)
to a precious clutch or K25 in bright colored lizzie for parties
to a lady like Kelly sellier in ostrich or shiny croc for formal occasions

etc....

Ostrich being totally waterproof, you wouldn't even have the excuse of humidity or rain or snow ( depending on where you live) to keep you from using exotics all the time ;)

Sorry to jump in with 'exotics' questions:

I am looking at reseller for Ostrich and Croco vs leather.
The mark up for leather is much much higher.
Ostrich seems reasonable while some crocs are way out ......

My questions about O is what 'after-care' issues do I have to deal with? So to make the buy more worth while. Leather is simply care free.

Oh last question : how easy or hard to be offered a O or croco in Paris or other parts of Europe? Must u be some super VVVIP?

my thoughts from this dangerous experience are interspersed ;)

Hi all,

I am thinking about getting my first exotic bag this year after acquiring all the colors I want for my "basic" leather collection. I am wondering if you have any advice for me such as:

1. Once I go "croc," will I not want to go back? I mean, maybe I will not want any of my "leather" bags any more, and will want to change all the colors to croc?

you'll still want and love regular leather bags, but they may feel like the more 'standard' choice, that you are ok beating around a little more. you won't necessarily want all the same colors in croc. despite me wanting a regular leather birkin in yellow, its highly unlikely i'll ever want a birkin tote in yellow croc/gator. and in the future you may still want to add regular leather bags to your collection-- i do, but now ordering bi/tricolor bags, or special muticolor combos like ghillies.

2. My SA already said I "qualify" for exotics at my store, but let's say when I travel, will the spend be 2 or 3x to "earn" a croc bag vs basic bag?

the easist solution is to have your local boutique you've 'qualified' with call or email the boutique director where you have traveled to after they check their inventory, then they can request certain pieces to be set aside. much easier than trying to get exotics from a completely random associate you've never met before, who wants to prioritize exotics for their longstanding, local clients.

3. I started out saying I wanted one black, and one etoupe bag and I was "done." Well, many bags later, I am not done. So right now I am thinking I want one black croc bag, one parchment or Gris T ostrich bag, and maybe one tiny lizard bag. Am I likely to be more satisfied by these exotic bags, or will I start wanting to collect color as well? In other words, do you find that the exotic bags are more "satiating" than the leather bags?

no you will still want more after that, no satiation difference between regular leather and exotic. either you'll have self control and stop or you'll add exotic wallets, kelly pochette, constance, roulis, other color B's and K's etc to the wishlist. and the slope will be just as slippery but more expensive unfortunately!

Thanks so much for your advice!!

Hi ladies, I would love to hear some of your own personal experiences and purchases. Admins, please delete if this is not relevant!

How many b/k/c were in your collection before you decided to purchase an exotic? I've only been collecting for around 3 years, but none of the new colors for the past two seasons have made my heart sing. I'm thinking it's time to move to my first exotic, but idk if it's too early or if I should continue building my collection first. TIA

Hi ladies, I would love to hear some of your own personal experiences and purchases. Admins, please delete if this is not relevant!

How many b/k/c were in your collection before you decided to purchase an exotic? I've only been collecting for around 3 years, but none of the new colors for the past two seasons have made my heart sing. I'm thinking it's time to move to my first exotic, but idk if it's too early or if I should continue building my collection first. TIA

I have two B35, one B30, Evelyne, and a Jige. I’m ready for an exotic - kind of. Dreaming of a birdie as my next acquisition! There are no rules - go for exotic if it makes your heart sing.

Reactions: LovingTheOrange