Training hair to need washing less often?

I have dry and curly hair, and the curls look nothing like they show in shampoo commercials on TV but like old perm.
I wash my hair every 4 days and use hair mask instead of conditioner every time. The best for me is DSD de Luxe, they have a huge selection for every problem. It's the only thing that helps me comb my fine and curly mess and even make my hair kind of shiny. It's a Spanish brand.
I believe in "training". The more often you wash, the more your skin produces oil. And vice versa, it adjusts

Reactions: HavLab
I really do believe most of us can train their hair by washing less often, some people are naturally more oily and have to wash more often.

My hair is fine, but I have I have a lot of it. I'ts lightened/colored. It's unevenly curly/wavy. I used to wash and blow dry every day and use a flat iron. (yeah, every day the flat iron - I had to). Well in a few months, my hair was really just breaking off. My hairdresser told me to wash every other day if not every 3rd day. i was like, gross....no way. But my hair was breaking off........so a few years ago (around 3) I washed it every other day, then went to every 3rd day. Well now I just wash it once a week.

I think they more you wash it, the more it tries to produce oil. Now that I hardly wash it, it stays really clean for 7 day. I never thought I would do this, all my life I washed it every day. I will never do that again. I get Keratin every summer and because i wash it infrequently, the Keratin lasts for close to 7 months. My hair has never been in better condition.

I used to wash mine every day (sometimes more :shocked:) because it is naturally oily. Between this, heat styling, styling products and hair dye, it was very unhealthy, breaking and falling out.

I started taking a "skip day" between washings, and before I knew it, "a" skip day became "skip days". Now, I typically wash and heat style, wear it down for 2 days and then back for 2 before I wash it again. I do, however, use dry shampoo to sop up the oil. It does make my scalp itchy but I can live with it to not look at the oily, greasy look. I also use Olaplex religiously and rarely blow dry.

Reactions: chococatx
I think Americans in general bathe and wash their hair more often than Europeans and other countries. My mother was a European immigrant so I wasn't raised this way.
With my dry, curly hair I think it probably looks best if I wash it every four days or so. But if for some reason (travel or something) I wanted to go longer, I could go a week and it wouldn't look dirty. My scalp might feel like it needed cleaning but it wouldn't do any harm or be noticeable to anyone else.
Would love to hear from PFrs from other countries as to whether they wash their hair daily.
I am French and wash my hair every day. But you are right about Europeans, sdkitty.
Most of my friends wash their hair once or twice a week.
My hairstylist told me her boss always tells his clients that one or two shampoos a week is enough.
She daren't tell him that she washes her hair daily...:shocked:

Before I washed my hair every other day. Now, after I´ve colored it I wash my hair once a week. I use Oribe gentle shampoo, the Gold Lust hair mask and conditioner, and the other days I use my Mason Pearson brush. I don´t use any styling products or blow dry my hair though. Noticed that my hair is much better off now than before.

I’m not sure if my hair changed after having a baby 15 months ago, or if I forced it to change because I was too busy/overwhelmed to wash it frequently but I went from every 2nd-3rd day to every 7 days!
To be honest it doesn’t even look that bad after 7 days but I wash it because I feel like I should. I don’t even need use dry shampoo anymore, in fact I threw it out a few months ago.

For reference I have tried numerous times in my early to mid 20s (I’m now 29) to “train” my hair (the “no poo” method, and just using water for 6+ weeks and none of those attempts really helped. My skin has also gotten less oily so I have a feeling it’s a combination of my changing chemistry and just simply not having the energy.

Would love to hear from PFrs from other countries as to whether they wash their hair daily.

Well I am from Europe/Austria and I wash my hair every day.
It gets so oily - I have tried everything. Training didn't work.
If I don't wash it for three days oil is running down my forehead.
Sometimes dry shampoo helps, but baby powder does the same trick as I have blonde hair.
After everything I've tried - Kerastase shampoo, training,... I am back to washing daily

Well I am from Europe/Austria and I wash my hair every day.
It gets so oily - I have tried everything. Training didn't work.
If I don't wash it for three days oil is running down my forehead.
Sometimes dry shampoo helps, but baby powder does the same trick as I have blonde hair.
After everything I've tried - Kerastase shampoo, training,... I am back to washing daily
some people do have very oily hair.....if that's the case then I don't blame you for washing every day

I’m not sure if my hair changed after having a baby 15 months ago, or if I forced it to change because I was too busy/overwhelmed to wash it frequently but I went from every 2nd-3rd day to every 7 days!
To be honest it doesn’t even look that bad after 7 days but I wash it because I feel like I should. I don’t even need use dry shampoo anymore, in fact I threw it out a few months ago.

For reference I have tried numerous times in my early to mid 20s (I’m now 29) to “train” my hair (the “no poo” method, and just using water for 6+ weeks and none of those attempts really helped. My skin has also gotten less oily so I have a feeling it’s a combination of my changing chemistry and just simply not having the energy.
I could go seven days and no one would really think my hair was dirty. but it looks better the first four days or so than after that

I could go seven days and no one would really think my hair was dirty. but it looks better the first four days or so than after that

I find my hair looks best from around day 2-5 (it looks too flat after just washing it)
I have very straight, “heavy” hair so I suppose it does really depend on the type of hair too

My hair is fine, and gets greasy. Like you, I used to wash it every day. Like you, I was told it isn’t good to wash hair every day. For a little while until my scalp got used to it, I either put my hair up and used a lot of hairspray, or I’d wear a hat. Now, my hair only needs washing once a week! It’s great.

Ladies,

How do you keep your hair styled after day 2 without washing? I also wash my hair 2/3 times a week and it looks fine, it is just the hair that doesn’t look styled anymore. I have some waves in my hair, so it just kind of curls in a weird way after a couple of days.

Ladies,

How do you keep your hair styled after day 2 without washing? I also wash my hair 2/3 times a week and it looks fine, it is just the hair that doesn’t look styled anymore. I have some waves in my hair, so it just kind of curls in a weird way after a couple of days.
I have curly hair (3a). I used to think I needed to wet it every day but at some point I decided it didn't really look that different w/o wetting.

I have curly hair (3a). I used to think I needed to wet it every day but at some point I decided it didn't really look that different w/o wetting.

So do you do something extra to your hair? Or you just let it be? Unfortunately my waves are not so defined as I would wish to just let them be [emoji22]. And if I shortly put it up in a bun, it takes this shape and can’t wear it down anymore.

So do you do something extra to your hair? Or you just let it be? Unfortunately my waves are not so defined as I would wish to just let them be [emoji22]. And if I shortly put it up in a bun, it takes this shape and can’t wear it down anymore.
I put it in a high ponytail on top of my head to sleep. Next day I just arrange it, usually pinning sides up.