Trade Bags Instead of Paying for Ebay Item

There was a TPF'r that posted something about trading with someone else. She got her bag but the other person never got theirs... I personally would never trade with someone else.

never in a million years. there are so many things that could be wrong. i know it might sound like a good idea- ie. i could make more money on hers than mine is worth- but if her bag was worth more she would probably sell it herself and keep the difference. kwim?

Sounds too shady to me. The first bag I ever sold on e-bay I ended up selling after the auction had ended. I didn't get a chance to get positive feedback even though the buyer was really pleased. Now, I'm selling another bag on there and I think it's hurting me because I barely have any feedback. You should just go about it the right way. Maybe you both could sell to each other for the same price?

I think I am going to stay away from this one even though she is willing to just send me the bag first so I can check it out. The problem is I would want to resell hers on Ebay and I have no idea how much it's worth. I posted on the LV section and was told that it is probably a LV Theda bag. The girl said it was a "Thade"(shows how much I know about LV) I was also told that there are two sizes, PM and GM, and GM is the bigger one. I'm thinking that if she got it as a gift from her real estate agent like she said, that it's probably the smaller one. I have to at least be able to sell it for what I wanted to get for my Cartier tote. The whole thing just seems like it will be more trouble than it is worth, even though she seems pretty trusting offering to send me her bag first from Canada. I would never screw anyone over, but if I decide not to trade her then I have to send it back to her. Seems to be like a pain in the butt. Anyway, thanks for all of your advice! It was really helpful!

Vicki ;)

No, I wouldn't. I imagine you wanted to sell your bag which is why you listed it - if she wants to list her bag and you choose to sell it after she has gone through the processes needed for a secure Ebay sale, that is up to her, but for me a trade is not why I list items on Ebay - even if I loved the bag it is the wrong offer, in the wrong place, for me.

why would someone offer to send another person their bag for nothing? i understand you think she's being very nice and trusting but dollars to donuts her bag is fake. there is no way on this earth i would send a stranger an lv bag whether i paid for it or not so they could inspect it. no way. it's either fake or.... well you can provide the or. lol.

I actually like Stewartsdsu's advice. IF you were to go through with a trade, I say both of you should list it as buy-it-now at the same exact price. I mean you still run into the risk of her sending you a fake though. She should post detailed pics and then you can get it authenticated first.

I once made friends with someone on eBay and we switched one Kooba for another Kooba. It turned out fabulous! We did that like one more time after that (Kooba again) and we still email each other from time to time. I've had other eBayers approach me as well, but that was my only time. For whatever reason, she was the only one I felt comfortable doing that with.

why would someone offer to send another person their bag for nothing? i understand you think she's being very nice and trusting but dollars to donuts her bag is fake. there is no way on this earth i would send a stranger an lv bag whether i paid for it or not so they could inspect it. no way. it's either fake or.... well you can provide the or. lol.

That's the part I don't understand. I asked her if she still had the authenticity cards and dust cover and she said that her "dumb@##" friend threw the cards out". From how she has described the bag, it's the larger LV Theda bag. But would a realtor really give a gift that was that expensive? The other thing is that I need to be able to sell hers for what I would have taken for my Cartier bag. Needless to say, I just emailed her and told her that I decided against the trade.

Thanks for everyone's advice!;)

That's the part I don't understand. I asked her if she still had the authenticity cards and dust cover and she said that her "dumb@##" friend threw the cards out". From how she has described the bag, it's the larger LV Theda bag. But would a realtor really give a gift that was that expensive? The other thing is that I need to be able to sell hers for what I would have taken for my Cartier bag. Needless to say, I just emailed her and told her that I decided against the trade.

Thanks for everyone's advice!;)

I think you've made the right decision :tup:.
You'll sleep much easier!