Tracking number says delivered but Buyer says they don't have it

Mar 3, 2010
I sold something on ebay last week and shipped it priority mail. The buyer just messaged me saying the tracking number says it was delivered on Saturday but he never received it from the post man. He also asked what address I shipped it to.
I always print postage off ebay/paypal so I know its not the wrong address (unless they wrote their address wrong on paypal).
He does live in an apartment, could the post man have left it in one of those bigger mail boxes for tenants who receive packages?
The item was less then $30 but will I have to refund the money if he can't find it? What if this is fraud? The tracking number does say its delivered... I didn't insure it because it wasn't expensive, but I wouldn't be able to claim it anyways through USPS because the tracking number says it was delivered, right?
Help! Has this happened to anyone?

I replied to their message telling them to speak to the post man about the package. I double checked paypal and it says its a confirmed address, so it should be covered by paypal if any claim does happen, right?
i'm just worried they may file a INR, but can you if it says delivered?

Your buyer maybe telling the truth about not receiving the package. Mail man may delivered it to the wrong apt.number or something. But we have no way to know if your buyer telling the truth or not, but why tried to scam you for $30? As far as the INR claim, you should not worry as the tracking showed deliver. Your buyer still can post a negative feedback.

You're safe as far as Ebay/PayPal is concerned. If he files a claim against you, he will lose. You've done everything right by sending it to the address provided by Ebay/PayPal. As long as the tracking shows it was delivered, you are in the clear. If he files an INR against you, he will lose. Hopefully, he'll be able to find the package.

^^ I agree. You should be fine as far as the claim, if the buyer files. It it possible it was delivered to the wrong apartment. That would be really pathetic of the buyer to scam you out of $30.00 but with the economy, every penny counts. I hope this has a happy ending for you.

I live in an apt. building and have had packages stolen, presumably by other tenants, when they were left by the postman in the lobby. I wouldn't assume that the Buyer is trying to scam you. It may be that someone else took it. It is a shame if that happened since neither Buyer or Seller did anything wrong, but if it was delivered then I would assume you would prevail if a claim is filed.