tPF Charity of the Month: PLEASE READ!!!

My suggestion would be the Hokie Relief Fund.

Then:

Elton John AIDS Foundation
I love the fact that, despite the fact that he has so much he gives back so much to the gay community. (And not just in the gay community, because AIDS affects everyone.)

Elton John AIDS Foundation

The American Society For The Prevention Of Cruelty To Animals
(The ASPCA)

I love animals, and I love the fact that this is an organization that actually cares about animals. When Hurricane Katrina hit, the ASPCA was there to make sure the animals left behind got out safely. (And then helped to reunite the animals with their owners.)

All three of my cats were adopted from animal shelters. When I worked at Macy*s, I had the option of donating a little bit of my paycheck to a charity of my choice. In rememberence of my cat Lucky, I picked the ASPCA.

ASPCA: The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

The Smile Train
At my various jobs, I'll see customers come in with the smallest scar running from just below their nose to just above their upper lip. Judging from the scar, they must've been born with a cleft lip and had it surgically corrected.

In developing countries, children are born with cleft lips / cleft palates and their families can't afford the surgery. They can't eat or drink properly. They can't get jobs. They can't smile. It's so sad.

I love how The Smile Train makes it so that these children are able to get the surgery.

(I'm very vain about my face, so I can't imagine some poor child going through something like that!)

The Smile Train – International Charity Providing Cleft Lip and Palate Surgery for Children

The Joyful Heart Foundation

There was an article about this in Cosmo a couple months ago. Mariska Hargitay (Detective Benson from Law & Order SVU) started a charity to help women who have been raped. It's called The Joyful Heart Foundation.

The Joyful Heart Foundation

It introduces dolphin therapy to help victims of sexual assault.
This is quoted from their flash video:
"For survivors of sexual assault, it's an assault on the mind, body and soul. The effects of sexual assault can be felt long after the body heals. In the wake of an assault, layers need to be peeled back to see that your core self is still there. The Joyful Heart Foundation works to provide healing and recovery for victims of sexual assault through dolphan-human interaction in the wild. The healing and recovery process is mental physical emotional, spiritual, social, environmental in a single experience."

I remember swimming with dolphins when I was on vacation in St. Maarten. I remember just feeling this peace swimming and watching the dophins swim underneath me. I swam with them because I always wanted to and it was part of my vacation. If I felt that kind of peace and serenity from just doing it as a vacation experience, imagine the benefits a victim of sexual assault would get out of swimming with dolphins.

I think Vlad and I are leaning towards:
The Fisher Center for Alzheimer's Research Foundation.

We like this for the month of May because of Mother's Day. So many loose their mothers early to Alzheimer's and this is such a sad disease.

Your contributions help fund important research to find a cure for this deadly disease. Our CFC auditors list us as designating 94.4% of money received going to research and 5.6% to administrative costs. The Fisher Center for Alzheimer's Research Foundation is an IRS-certified 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, therefore all donations are tax-deductible.

Seems like a great charity for this cause, and like mentioned previously, anyone who wants to join may, and anyone who doesn't, does not have to! :smile:

We feel like it is a great month for this charity...

After this month, we will switch! We are going to add a button at the top of the page for anyone to decide to click and donate money.

Vlad and I will both be donating money every month to each organization, as best we can! :yes:

woo what a great cause!

how about a cancer organization? either one that does research (memorial sloan kettering) or one that provides care for low income families?

i donate to the former.

and one for a women/children's shelter that helps women.kids from abusive/problematic homes?

I don't know for sure now, seeing that we will pick month by month so it can vary, but for this first one they are available :yes:

The link is up for this month at the top of the forum page!!! See it everyone?! It links directly to the donations page. :yahoo:

Anyone can choose to donate or not. We will think of the charity for next month towards the end of this month.