tPF Book Club: "Bitter is the New Black" discussion post!

I went to Target tonight, and surprisingly they didn't have it. Our library doesn't, either, and I don't think I'm going to order it and then wait for it to come in. Maybe I'll just read it another time. I did pick up The Time Traveler's Wife when I was at Target, and for a fun and easy read I found Confessions of a Shopaholic at Goodwill the other day. Oh, and I got The Memory Keeper's Daughter, too. I have so many books on my to-read list, so maybe I'll just pass on this one for now.

Alright! So, I started the book last night but only got a few pages in before I fell asleep.

My thoughts on pages 1 - 16

Jen just seems like a big, conceited, spoiled, selfish....idiot. I would use another word, but I don't think it'd be very appropriate for this forum ;) The whole "stealing the coach briefcase from the homeless man" was a bit too over the top and just plain rude for me.

That's all I've read so far :biggrin: lol, not much of a commentary!

I'm about a quarter through and Jen does not seem like a character I can sympathize with at all. She's really rude and extremely conceited with a very high opinion of herself and damn anyone else. In fact, she reminded me a lot of Anne Coulter!

I rarely stop reading books halfway, but I just might, with this one. The fashion remarks are okay, but in the end she just comes across as a chick with a bad attitude.

Alright! So, I started the book last night but only got a few pages in before I fell asleep.

Jen just seems like a big, conceited, spoiled, selfish....idiot. I would use another word, but I don't think it'd be very appropriate for this forum ;) The whole "stealing the coach briefcase from the homeless man" was a bit too over the top and just plain rude for me.

I thought the same thing and thought if it's like this at the start of the book...ugh!

Ita!! She is extremely self-centered and quite proud of it, but at least she is honest.

What's up with the footnotes?? I don't really find them amusing or witty, just annoying. And they don't really add anything to what she is talking about.

I enjoyed the book immensely, but I was never able to find any sympathy or empathy for the main character. She seemed coarse and unrefined from the start. I really couldn't stand her at all

At what point do you think it would be okay to discuss particular details? I don't want to give anything away to those that haven't finished reading it yet.

i started reading this book and i just couldn't get past the main character. she was too self-centered and not in a witty sense...just annoyingly so.:sad: i usually finish books too!

I just bought this book and the bright lights book but I doubt I'll get to read them in time to participate in this thread.

Thanks for the book suggestion though!