Tech touchpad scroll not working

nseastar

O.G.
Jul 3, 2007
If anyone knows what's going on I will love you forever because I am going insane. I'm going out of town tomorrow so I have to fix it myself or live without scroll and deal with it when I get home.

Yesterday morning my touchpad wasn't working. In my half asleep stupid state I missed the obvious (I had accidentally disabled it with the function key) and I reloaded the driver from the manufacturer. Ever since then my scroll is disabled. I first downloaded it from Acer, then from Synaptics then I uninstalled the driver and restarted and let the computer search for the driver update on it's own. All 3 ended up being the same driver. Nothing is working.

To make it stranger, it looks like the driver is for a mouse, not touchpad. In my CP there is now a pic of a mouse instead of a touchpad and the only scrolling option is speed- no sensitivity.

Does anyone have any ideas? I can't think of anything else to try.

eta: I also tried to do a 'rollback' to my original driver. Nothing.:sad:

Typically, there's a driver package specifically for laptops that deal with the trackpad, the buttons and the scrolling options. I'd make sure you got the right package from the Acer website (I'm assuming that's your laptop maker).
Also, you can always point your mouse to the scroll bars on the right or bottom on the page, hold down the left button and scroll with your finger on the pad. Or you can use the arrow and page down keys. Your trackpad isn't the only way to scroll. ;)
What model Acer do you have?

Hey Charles- thanks.:smile: The driver download on Acer says it's for the touchpad for my model but once downloaded looks like it's a mouse driver. I'm using the pointer and up/down arrows now but man, what a pita when you're used to the scroll bar. Does that sound ridiculously lazy?:P

It's an Acer Aspire 4730z.

Last edited: