Tote Recommendations for Lawyer Returning to Work

crowllb

O.G.
Feb 27, 2008
Hi everyone!

I know this topic is probably done to death, but I could use some fresh advice on the matter.

I'm returning to full-time work after a 17 year hiatus. My job involves court appearances - mostly appeals and conferences, no depositions or trials.

I DO NOT like briefcases. Been there, done that, and they were always way too heavy for me. I also have a slight bit of arthritis in my left hand, which makes gripping heavy things for a long period of time uncomfortable.

Any recommendations for a tote? I borrowed my daughter's MbMJ Pretty Little Tate tote for the interview, but it's a little too casual for me.

For the time being, I need something relatively inexpensive (under $300, and the more under, the better) that will look professional and not weigh a ton. Of course, if you have any suggestions for a more expensive tote that I can buy after I've been working for a bit, I'd take that too. I wear very tailored, classic clothes - Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, etc., if that helps.

TIA for all your help.

Hmm...$300 for a designer tote is kinda low these days, unless you get it on sale or at eBay or Bonanzle vs. full retail at a store.

Michael Kors
has a few totes at prices ranging from $200+ to over $1000.
I would get a Moxley ($448) or a Hamilton ($298). I also like the Darrington ($695), and Skorpios (E/W for $795, N/S for $695), which I would consider buying only at a discount (but that's me). The Lily tote is priced at $248, and the Item totes are $198.

http://www.michaelkors.com/store/ca...at9102cat8519&size=&sort=&tid=P9&viewMode=all

Great suggestions by everyone so far...I also recommend the Longchamp Roseau line of bags. They have some great totes, and while they are probably more like $400, you can find them for your price range at Saks Outlet and sometimes online as well. They are simple, classic, classy and durable. Oh - and they are lightweight, which is nice if you will be carrying a lot of heavy files! Congrats on your job!