TOTALLY panicking: Thanksgiving dinner w/ bf's fam

blueeyedgirl

Fashion Addict!
O.G.
May 16, 2008
My boyfriend and I have been together for about 5 months and I've met his father several times, his stepmother once. Now we are heading to his aunt's house to have Thanksgiving with his extended family. I have no idea what to wear. I know this is super late to buy anything fabulous, but I'd love pictures or ideas of what you think would be nice to wear so I can try to look nice.

The boyfriend is wearing a dress shirt and dress slacks and he mentioned today that his aunt doesn't like shoes in the house. I'm now planning on adding socks/tights/nylons to my outfit so I'm not awkwardly barefoot!

He also mentioned that the outfits generally run the gamut from jeans to dressy so I'm totally at a loss. I don't want to be too dressy or too casual!

Aww this is so cute. I'm a jeans kinda gal so I would wear some nice fitted designer jeans and an upscale fitted cashmere sweater with some cute flats. Try to be a bit conservative so that you look classy and approachable but with an understated confidence/sexiness. But its most important to be comfortable and be yourself. Good luck on the outting.

Hi I think you should definitely wear a dress but maybe a more casual yet flawy dress with a nice pair of boots or 4inch wedge in a brown color. If you wear a casual yet also nice material you can slightly dress it up with maybe a gold necklace and still keep a nice casual look. I hope I helped :tup:

in light of the fact that you might have to be shoe-less, I would go with slacks and a sweater.

IMO a dress or a skirt loses something without shoes

I know this is a very opinionated but I think maybe a anklet would be cute if your barefoot to add style..I know that some people don't like them but it might just add something if you choose a dress

^Oh dear, please do not bring your own slippers. Best case scenario, they think you're odd or high-maintenance; worst-case scenario, the aunt is offended and thinks you are implying her floors are dirty or her guest slippers (if she has them) aren't good enough.

I would vote for wearing a simple dress with tights or dark jeans with a nice blouse. And bring wine or candy to your host, even if your boyfriend doesn't think it's necessary since they're his family. Have a good time!

^Oh dear, please do not bring your own slippers. Best case scenario, they think you're odd or high-maintenance; worst-case scenario, the aunt is offended and thinks you are implying her floors are dirty or her guest slippers (if she has them) aren't good enough.

I would vote for wearing a simple dress with tights or dark jeans with a nice blouse. And bring wine or candy to your host, even if your boyfriend doesn't think it's necessary since they're his family. Have a good time!

:okay::tup: I agree with everything...comfortable dress + tights is the way to go!

I would've said jeans or pants but since you will be barefoot I would def wear tights so that your feet will be covered. I would pair it with a somewhat casual/nice dress.

I have been you !
Ok so think about comfort it's key!
I put on skinny dark denim a white tee and a cardigan (purple)
I acsesorised with a chunky necklace ( I made my own with 5 different ones)
Also beat the host to the punch take your regular shoes and stop at any drug store get
Dr scholes black ballet slippers when you get to the door say I hope you don't mind if I change to( these) I wore heels that mark floors and don't what to scuff your floors ! Say it with a smile and I'm sure no one will mind !

I would go with a nice fitted casual dress, a pair of opac tights and ballerinas. I would add a fancy necklace and a cute coat (not a very long one, just one right above the knee, it looks more casual).

Do not bring slippers! Maybe his aunt will have some to give you.

Personally, I find it kind of insulting to ask your guests to walk barefoot in your house! It's like you're implying that they're dirty. Not to mention it's veeeery exagerating! Plus, I feel awkward when barefoot. BUT if it's her thing, you should do it, even if it makes you awkward! I wouldn't want to argue with her... LOL

You shoud definately bring a bottle of wine.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!:biggrin:

I would go with a nice fitted casual dress, a pair of opac tights and ballerinas. I would add a fancy necklace and a cute coat (not a very long one, just one right above the knee, it looks more casual).

Do not bring slippers! Maybe his aunt will have some to give you.

Personally, I find it kind of insulting to ask your guests to walk barefoot in your house! It's like you're implying that they're dirty. Not to mention it's veeeery exagerating! Plus, I feel awkward when barefoot. BUT if it's her thing, you should do it, even if it makes you awkward! I wouldn't want to argue with her... LOL

You shoud definately bring a bottle of wine.

Depends on that family's customs. I personally don't like having people over and they're wearing their shoes indoors. I find it rather icky. However I always have nice clean guest slippers because I don't expect my guests (and myself) to walk around barefooted and relatives have their own when they're over.

Whatever you do, OP - don't bring your own slippers over and don't wear anything skintight. As others have mentioned, either dark washed jeans paired with a pretty dressy top or a casual flowy dress with tights.