Totally is an "older woman or mom bag"

I bought the Tottally mm mono for everyday, work and general use. It is a great functional bag. Any bag that is big enough can be used as a diaper bag. I think that the SA should not inflict opinion on your buy unless you ask their opinion. I use my mm more than any other bag I own. So if it works for you buy it!

Exactly! This is how my SA handles those situations. Otherwise, she will show me the new releases and ask me how I feel. Then we will discuss how it might or might not fit into "my" lifestyle. Then, she remembers! She will never bring up an item that I've ruled out due to our conversations.

I :heart: my SA! :biggrin:

I have a few SAs in different countries that I buy from regularly, and they are all as Tulip2 describes above. First they ask me how I feel about it. I have noticed that if they agree with me, they will elaborate, like, or dislike, but if they don't, they seem to be more subdued or say something like, "really, I don't think so" (usually to contradict a negative comment from me), but they never come off as judgmental. "Old lady" comments are hurtful and unprofessional, especially if the person has expressed an interest!

I guess I have been lucky not to have run into this type of SA. I wouldn't buy from or work with someone like that.

I think an SA giving an opinion is really up to circumstance. Like whether or not the customer has an established relationship with the SA. Or whether or not the customer actually engages the SA in giving his/her opinion at all. I think if someone is choosing between PM/MM/GM and the SA chimes in to say that the MM looks really great then that's really nice. But I don't think an SA should be giving an actual opinion on the bag, like that's a bag for older women or a color for younger women.

I think that we all know style is very personal, and fashion and style are not one in the same. LV (or any other brand) creates fashion pieces, but how one carries it, styles it, etc. is very personal. What can look "older" on one person can look young on another, and sometimes physical age has very little to do with it. Writing this makes me recall a thread I recently read in the Chanel forum about the Boy Bag. It was a thread on whether people think there is an age cutoff for the bag, and one woman responded that there is a senior lady who lives in her apartment building with a stunning collections of Boys. She wears them better than anyone she's ever seen, and she went on to elaborate about the types of outfits this woman seamlessly puts together. The reason she pulls them off in her older age when some people view the Boy as a younger bag is because it comes down to personal style over fashion norms. Everyone carries and pulls off different looks, and the key to pulling off anything well is to be truly genuine and authentic to who you are. Confidence makes a difference in how you are perceived, and that rings true for personal clothing style too.

My main point is that you need to true to your own personal style and don't let the opinion of others sway you from what you know to be right for you. Even if it means walking away and thinking about it more just so you can get distance from the other person's thoughts. What you know to be true for you will always end up coming to the surface, whether it comes to you in a couple hours, a few days later, or even a few years later (as one poster above said happened to her).

This is also a factor! I have had my SA at Chanel tell me outright that an outfit is not for me after I put it on. I loved it, but she was right, I personally didn't look good in it.....same at Prada. I have one LV SA who waits until I try on a bag, if she loves it on me, she says so right away....if she doesn't, she will pause and say, "how do you feel about it?" If she reads me as undecided, she will start looking for alternatives.

It is very much in the relationship. These are people I have worked with for years. If someone I met right off the bat told me something didn't look right without knowing me, my lifestyle or anything about me, I might be more put off. Nevertheless, I wouldn't tolerate any of them telling me something I chose was popular among old ladies. So? There are old ladies with good taste!

I went and tried both the Neverfull MM and Totally MM in DE today.
The SA told me "older women and moms" buy the Totally and someone younger like me should do the Neverfull...
I did think that was kind of an odd comment from an SA. Especially since I actually have a Totally PM in DA!
I am not super young, I'm 26, and a married woman.
I actually think the Totally is more comfy than the Neverfull. The Neverfull is $200 cheaper though and does have that pochette that comes with it.

Just wondering your thoughts???

You carry it, you buy what you love! It does look like a diaper bag to me, but I'm a mom and always looking for cute diaper bags! I'm sure it doesn't look like that to everyone.:P

buy what you like. Personally i don't like the totally (in any prints). It just doesn't speak to me. I know it is functional with the side pocket and zippers but the first time i saw the bag my immediately reaction is "meh" . The nf has grown on me but still not to the point i would what one. If i were to get a functional "popular" bag, i will go for speedy b 25 or 30.

+1

I think the SA was really off for saying that. I see young people carrying the Totally than just "older women". And I see Young and Old women alike carrying the Neverfull too.

If a SA said that to me, and I liked the bag (I do own a Totally), I would just smile and say that meant I would be able to grow up into it. :P I think SA sometimes offer opinions freely to try to be nice and bond with shoppers and don't fully realize how deeply we can take an opinion to heart. In the end any time you are shopping LV, you are the one to earn, pay for, and wear the bag - so rock the style that feels "you." And because it is true to you, you'll probably look great doing it!

I honestly agree with your sales associate. I think it's actually refreshing she's being honest. Especially since the neverfull is cheaper. To me the totally has a dated look. But wear what makes you happy!

I have to admit, this topic annoys the heck out of me every time I read about it. How is it anyone's business (including the SAs) what someone else finds appealing or prefers to carry? We are all individuals and we like what we like. It's about personal preference...who cares what anyone else thinks when you're the one using/carrying the bag. I think the Neverfull is great but decided to go with the Totally MM because I preferred the zipper, the outside pockets and the comfortable straps. It had nothing to do with my age or my status as a mother. Get whatever bag works best for YOUR lifestyle! :peace:

If everyone had the same taste, there wouldn't be so many style of bags. Personally I think it's important to buy a bag that fits your lifestyle. If it doesn't work for you, it's going to sitting in your closet instead of your shoulder. IMHO totally is a beautiful and a practical bag to carry no matter how old you are!

I have to admit, this topic annoys the heck out of me every time I read about it. How is it anyone's business (including the SAs) what someone else finds appealing or prefers to carry? We are all individuals and we like what we like. It's about personal preference...who cares what anyone else thinks when you're the one using/carrying the bag. I think the Neverfull is great but decided to go with the Totally MM because I preferred the zipper, the outside pockets and the comfortable straps. It had nothing to do with my age or my status as a mother. Get whatever bag works best for YOUR lifestyle! :peace:

AMEN!!! Very well said!

I once had an SA turn up her nose at my bag choice.. it really soured my experience. I ended up returning the bag for other issues.
Wish they'd keep such comments to themselves unless asked directly.

If everyone had the same taste, there wouldn't be so many style of bags. Personally I think it's important to buy a bag that fits your lifestyle. If it doesn't work for you, it's going to sitting in your closet instead of your shoulder. IMHO totally is a beautiful and a practical bag to carry no matter how old you are!
Totally agree. We live and dress for ourselves, not for others:smile: